Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is USB ok for PPPOE...

• 12-09-2003 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Ok i have found out my answer but what is worrying me now is that my modem is not compatible...even though I was told it was.....

So is USB ok for PPPOE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

(The original question was what's the difference between PPPoE and PPPoA.)

It's a simple question, but the answer isn't quite so simple. Karl Jeacle's iStream ADSL page for a good overview of what PPPoE is all about, but here's a brief explanation:

PPPoA - PPP over ATM. Just puts the data being sent to the Internet into a PPP frame which is sent over the ADSL ATM link to the DSLAM.

PPPoEoA - PPP over ethernet over ATM. Makes the ADSL connection look like an extension of your ethernet LAN (more flexible, since less dependency on ADSL) and then uses PPP over ethernet as a way to allow individual user sessions to have different characteristics. (DHCP could also be used, but PPP gives more control and security.)

As to which is better: PPPoE is more complex but more flexible. PPPoA is simpler and a little more efficient. If you're using an external DSL modem, PPPoA support requires a bit more intelligence in the modem since it needs to perform routing, while PPPoE can be handled on the PC with the external modem simply acting as a pure ethernet to ADSL bridge. These days though, that's not too relevant since the equipment for both types is getting so cheap anyway.

PPPoE arguably scales better as more and more people sign up for DSL.

As an aside, I was reading some BT wholesale documents this morning and noticed that they are aiming to offer PPPoE to service providers in the UK in September 2003. The following document has more details:

http://www.sinet.bt.com/329v5p8.pdf

(see section 6.5.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Tenshot thats brilliant and thank you.

Modem settings is a big one for me. My modem just has a number of options when choosing what PPP to use. I don't know what one to use..

I know PPPOver Wan, ATM, LAN are there.......I'm confused.
    I use a USB modem, so this ethernet thing is worrying me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

USB modems are used with PPPoE. The USB aspect of them has nothing to do with compatibility with PPPoE. Although the 'E' in PPPoE stands for ethernet, it refers to the connection between the modem and the ISP, not the modem and your computer. The connection between your computer could be ethernet, USB, or some other connection and still be compatitible with PPPoE.

You should simply check that the model of the modem is compatible with the service you want. Post up your selected modem here and you will quickly get an answer.

There are some advantages to ethernet modems, but this is a separate issue.

US Robotic USB Sureconnect Modem

Links are here

Elara

And here

US Robotics

Thanks a million you to. Really good to put my mind at ease.

Also I am using Netsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monkey_magic

There's no reason you can't have a PPPoE session running over a USB modem. Ericom, and IOL both provide USB modem's for their PPPoE services AFAIK.

Not all DSL modems support PPPoE though (USB or not) you should read your modem documentation to find out if your's does or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

From data sheet on the US robotics site...
    RFC 2516 – PPP over Ethernet (no third-party client needed, drivers included)
    Have you gotten it yet tho? At the price, I'd pay the €20 more and go for elara's ethernet modem.

Yeah so its cool....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

my usb came with ppoa drivers so i assume thats wat it was designed for but if u change the ppoa setup file for ppoe itll work perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

some dsl modems do not directly support pppoe connections, however most of them will support RFC 1483, if your modem support this you can set it to this and then all you will need is a pppoe clint on your computer best bet is to go for raspppoe

Thanks for all your help guys. The problem has been sorted and I am just glad to have fast internet access and good download speeds.

Thanks again for all your help. Very informative.

XP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement