Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iol broadband wont work with ethernet network

• 12-09-2003 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I recently got the self instillation kit from iol broadband. It comes with a ZyXEL prestige 630 adsl modem which connects via a usb port. The broadband works fine when the ethernet cable is not attached to the computer, but plug in the ethernet cable and the broadband stops working. This happens on all computers on the network. A 400mhz Mac G4, a 600mhz iMac G3, beige 230mhz Mac G3. all using Mac OSX 10.2. They are connected via a hub, but the problem also occurs if two of the computers are connected directly. IOL wont help as they say they do not support networks. Any help would be much appreciated as i need the network to share files and printer. Not being able to use both the network and the internet at the same time is a real pain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You are using the USB modem provided right? Thats probably the problem there. you should get rid and buy your own. i know its free but seriously.. USB BB is not so good. easiest would be a BB router where the network is sorted out at the same time. They are not that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

hve you tried unpluggin the USB cable before plugging in the ethernet cable.

And yes, USB sucks ass for BB, especially on a lower end computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 someguy

Thanks for the replies. I have tried plugging in the ethernet first. made no difference. i thought it might be a conflict between the ethernet and modem drivers or something like that. Also, sarumon, where would i get a router like that and about what do you reckon it would cost. Do you know if any of the other BB providers supply you with a router of that kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monkey_magic

Try checking the default gateway on your ethernet card.

If you have one set all traffic destined for networks outside your lan could be going out your ethernet interface looking for the default gateway to take it onto the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I'm not a Mac person, but here's what I do - it may be of some use to you.

As the guys say, USB is not the best for BB. What they don't say is that it's a pretty good second best, in my experience. I connect to UTV BB using the same ZyXEL modem, plugged into a Win98 box which is a dedicated router/firewall. This manages the connection, and shares it out to my small network - a Win98 laptop and a Linux desktop.The router box has a DHCP server to assign IP addresses, and a DNS proxy to handle URL resolution from the networked machines.

Right now, you may be saying "What the **** has this got to do with my Mac network?!", but I think the networking principles are the same regardless i.e. one of your Macs needs to be set up as the gateway between your network and the internet.

I found this link on Google about software routers for Mac - I don't know if it's of any use to you, but have a look anyway. And you may already be a regular over in the Mac Forum here at boards - if not, drop in and see if those guys have the answers.

Finally, I have to agree that the ideal situation for both of us is Saruman's solution - a separate hardware router to take over this function, leaving our PC/Mac/Linux/whatever boxes to do whatever we want them to do, secure in the knowledge that the internet will be accessible as and when we need it. In my case, though, this nirvana needs funding, so software routing with a free USB modem is an economical alternative until the bank manager gives the green light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Linksys and Belkin routers are best to use with OSX. You should be able to pick one up for under a hundred quid, off dabs.com or komplett.ie
    Have you tried ringing apple or looking at their applecare knowledgebase? Bound to be something about ethernet/usb conflicts there.

Actually, paste in your ethernet config and your config for IOL bb there may be a conflict with the two sets of settings...

Advertisement