Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinet local POP access (explaination for idiots: means outside dublin)

Options
  • 21-05-1999 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Its $hite, and we know it is its $hite and we know it is ..... etc etc

so how many of you use them and how many of you have complained? Phoning them is one way, but you can post your thoughts to tinet.support newsgroup, which is a public forum and much more annoying to tinet. indigo have similar support forums (as gandalf knows). So some major complaining is in order if you ain't already doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

years of complaining.. both Tinet modem & ISDN local POPs are awful..

fed up... just waiting for a ISP with a minimum rate of connection guarantee & a bit of regard for their customers to come along..

I live in vague hope..

YuM

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Im the exact opposite lads. The Waterford Local pop (ie: when i dial the 1891 number) is great for me. My ping never rises above 150-160 ish and can go as low as 110-115. I do get the odd lag for 5-10 seconds, but thats more than likely my modem settings and a high fps in QW.

FYI - Tinet and a Pace 56k Flex

As I type this my Isdn line is being installed smile.gif Wahooo!!

Slosh.

[This message has been edited by Slosh (edited 21-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yes Yum, but at least I'm getting pleasure from publicly slagging them and reading their terse responses smile.gif

for instance they even replied to this one.
    Its that sort of stupidity that Tinet engage in that really ****es me off

--
    Noel Kellett

Dave Bushe <davejb@SPAMOFFtinet.ie> wrote in message
    news:7hrujn$nce$1@scotty.tinet.ie...
    > Does anyone have the Dublin POP number handy?
    > I need it to test the computer for Tinet, but they can't give it out LOL
    >
    > Cheers
    > Dave
    >
    >

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Castlebar pop sux a$$ - I've rang every time it's dissed me and they say it's the lines. I've had Telecom check all the lines from MY house to the Exchange in Castlebar (a distance of 3 miles) and they say they're fine.

WAKE UP TINET!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

You seem to be confused lads,

its not Tinet..

its TE, TE do the lines, Tinet just provide a service...to complain you need to ring TE not Tinet, cause tinet support are ***** (insert your choice of word here)

eg, one dad I had to setup mail for a tinet customer, cause tinet support couldn`t do it, this was after 3 times of ringing them and then he decided to by an iol account, after which I explained how to setup his mail and news settings smile.gif..hehe

Ro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Man you should see the state of the portlaoise pop
    in fact id say all local pops are sh1te apart from dublin tinet
    tinet suck and always will
    come on we need more isps with better pings
    anyone wanna set up a quakenet company or somethin??? wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

its the phonelines ffs. TE installed one of the most modern exchange networks (at the time) in Europe about 10-15 years ago...and havent upgraded it since, it wasnt designed to handle large scale shifting of data that the net demands, or the constant sending and receiving of packets in online games.

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

Nog trust me its the lines!!!!

tallaght was upgraded, as in the exchange in april, cause its the biggest area to upgrade, b4 it was upgraded I used to get error beeps on my modem once connected to indigo, and sometimes on iol, since the network was upgraded it runs smoothly, no beeps, I upgraded my modem and now I get a steady 48 connect on iol
    modems a lasat 56k flex, test *cough* modem.

its the lines not the isp, the isp is just a machine with modems, not the phone lines, all phone lines for tinet are done by TE, not tinet, you don`t get a tinet guy to check the nosies on your line do you???

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's an outside Dublin now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ronin...

Telephone lines my left buttock cheek.

If it were the lines, I should get $hite pings from the local IOL node as well.... but that's actually pretty good, and fairly playable most of the time.

The hardware setup at TINet's regional nodes sucks worse than a fiver dollar prostitute, as far as I can see. Then again... so does their news server, their mailserver was flaky last time I used it for any period of time, their international bandwidth and INEX link is made of tin cans and stretched string...

They suck goats.

Mata ne!
    Rob

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement

indeed ronin shinji is correct, the indigo & tinet castleblaney pops offer completly different flavors of crappness, its low pings and periods of total pl on tinet and its high pings varying wildly with not too much pl on indigo. same exchanges, same lines.

ok so tongue.gif..

I`m in dublin hehe

so your saying iol is good then? ;0

hehe....

right so spam tinet lads goo!! smile.gif

but the lines do suck smile.gif..

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Its not the lines its the ISP's smile.gif I'm sure its all TE's fault one way or another however with the crap service they provide to the ISP's. Its up to the ISPs tho to put pressure on TE to upgrade the connections.

Hehe thats like telling your boss you want a raise wink.gif, not telling demanding that he give you a raise

TE=tinet+indigo=haha we care not smile.gif..

lucky I can sit in iol and work away on my lovely connection...

all I need now is to be able to play quake, over the net from there smile.gif..

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

honestly, the main variable in your connect is the local telephone lines and exchange

my connect speed varies by 50% depending if its busy or not (and i know IOL isnt busy at those times...) so whats a person to do? askk people not to use there phones?

no ronin, its Tinet. Everyone for instance on hte castleblaney node suffers the following sort of connections:

u connect no problem (me at 38000 capped)
    u get a lovely conn (180ms) for 10 secs aprox
    then 1-3 secs total packet loss
    connect returns to lovely for 10 secs
    connect returns to lovely for 10 secs

etc etc etc. this is what i put up with. dialing dublin means this sort of thing just rarely occurs, perhaps once an hour, rarely any more. when the total pl occurs the modem either halts all send/receive activity or just continually sends but received nothing back. what you thing it is? I think its just lack of bandwidth between my local pop and dublin. anyone else shed any light on it?

Oh and tinet.support informed me a few weeks back that the local pops "were no worse than anyone elses".

and a friend of mine with a 33600 modem gets the same problem on this node, so it isn't just flex/v90 problem as i've tried both of them.

[This message has been edited by ButcherOfNog (edited 21-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Critic

I honestly don't think tinet give a **** about local pops.Basically my local ping up until 4-5 months ago was always 400+,they did a modem upgrade in galway and it came down to what i now have 280-350--still total ****e.But for the last 2 years of tinet my d/loads have been good, and that's what it really comes down to; people don't play online games and so tinet don't give a **** whatever someone's ping is...

Advertisement