Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of Guinness

• 12-09-2003 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Alrighty, probably done before but things change....

In Dublin city centre some of the nicest, most consistant pints I've had lately were in

1. Kehoes off Grafton street (near Abrakebabra - handy)

2. Mulligans of Poolbeg street.

Contributions please and maybe we can get a good list going

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Haven't been in a while bu The Flowing Tide on Abbey Street does a great pint.
    The Lord Edward up at Christ Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Walter_Sobcek
    Alrighty, probably done before but things change....

In Dublin city centre some of the nicest, most consistant pints I've had lately were in

1. Kehoes off Grafton street (near Abrakebabra - handy)

2. Mulligans of Poolbeg street.

Contributions please and maybe we can get a good list going

Can't argue with your taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Lads, I'd have to say the best pint of Guinness in Dublin is in 'The Grave Diggers' there in Glasnevin.
    In town it's difficult to find many places. I'd go along with the Flowing Tide and maybe add O Donoghues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The quality of Guinness on Mulligan's has dropped significantly IMO.
    They used to be one of the best but I think that since it became famous on "Bachelor's Walk" that too many people go there and there's no time for the barmen to pull a really good pint.

Have to agree On Keogh's, certainly one of the best.
    Also the Palace Bar.
    The Gravedigger.
    The Auld Dub's aren't bad.
    Hartigan's used to have great pints but again, it's dropped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Will ye stop talking about the Gravediggers so that we can keep the bloody place to ourselves. Don't want the place overrun now, do we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by dod
    Will ye stop talking about the Gravediggers so that we can keep the bloody place to ourselves. Don't want the place overrun now, do we?

there ain't a Guinness drinker in Dublin who doesn't know the Gravedigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

if I was to say where the best pint of guinness in Ireland can be found I wouldn't be talking about Dublin. Maybe 15 years ago or more but not now. Things have gotten too hussle bussle over there and ya get barmen from outer mongolia firing pints of porter at ya that only took 5 seconds to make.
    Ye should come over to galway, educate your palate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i agree.
    I can't stand the way all the bar staff in most bars in dublin are chinese or southafrican or ozzie now.
    They don't know how to pull a decent pint of the black stuff so you end up with a shoite pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 O2Suck

The Hut - Phibsboro does a nice pint AS DOES cLANCYS ACROSS THE ROAD FROM IT.Hairy lemon can pull a good ojne now and again. Agree Keoghs are consistently good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

A little off-topic but what exactly is the science behind pulling a pint?

I used to work in bars and used to hear the "Oh you can't pull a pint" cräp but *** I think it's all about how clean/dirty/used the lines are that makes the difference. But I'm sure someone has a decent explaination on why certain people can't pull pints!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Not really sure but an uncle of mine who owns a pub says it is solely down to how often the pipes are cleaned.

Gravediggers is a fantastic pint

also now that I think of it Gleesons in Booterstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Ive been going to the Bank lately on Dame street and jesus do they pull a fan bloodytastic pint of guinness in there...they even ahve murphys on tap...

i asked the barman in there if ordered a pint of murphys would he guarantee it cold...he said yes and emptied the pipe and proceeded to pull my just as nice a pint of murphys as one would get in Cork.

but the Guinness in there is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Can't put a name to the place but I remember the guinness being sublime! :)

It's opposite St. James's Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

not just how often the pipes are cleaned but how long they are. If the pipes are 50ft from keg to tap then there is (guess) about a half pint sitting in the lines at all times, not in the keg or in your glass, going warm and turning to piss. The factors are:
    1) How often pipes are cleaned.
    2) How long the pipes are (shorter the better).
    3) How often the pint is pulled from that keg
    4) The skill of the barperson.
    5) The glass must be room temp / lower when being used. If a pint is poured into a warm glass taken from the dishwasher it ruins it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The further south in Ireland one goes, the better the Guinness. Odd, but true so far.

Originally posted by sjones
    4) The skill of the barperson.
    Please explain this one. The others I agree with but this was what I meant by my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There are a few things that I was taught back in the day.

Angle of the glass.
    Amount poured in the first pull.
    Time to settle.
    How ya pour in the fill up, although here in C'bar ya can buy a medjum (medium but spoken differently) which means just serving up after the first pour.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    There are a few things that I was taught back in the day.

Angle of the glass.
    Amount poured in the first pull.
    Time to settle.
    How ya pour in the fill up, although here in C'bar ya can buy a medjum (medium but spoken differently) which means just serving up after the first pour.
    As was I, but what makes me doing that any different from a guy who pours a better(or worse) pint than me. After all we both pull approx the same amount of the same (type of) liquid goes in at approx the same angle. I/They wait approx the same amount of time and then follow the same procedure for topping up. Now how is it than one person still (in the eyes of the real experts) pulls a better pint.

Alot of it is down to what one person is used to over another, I know that in Johnny Mc Hales here in C'bar, who won the best pint in Ireland cupla blian o shin, they are pretty unorthodox apparently, although I can hardly tell the difference. When it comes down to it it's all about someones preference and if they do not like what you are at or ya do it differently than they are used to, then they will call ya up on it.

Had a cheeky lunchtime pint in Donahy and Nesbitts (Baggott street)
    Which was fantastic. Think it has to do with how much time the barman has to work on it.

• Advertisement

Am off to Johnny Mc Hales soon, they serve chicken wings around 7ish to anybody who is there, nice little incentive to stay till then and I will have me dinner too.

Roll on 4 o clock :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

On the whole science of pint-pulling - the distance from the kegs does play a huge part - just think of places with many floors and how things deteriorate as you go higher. On that note - the best pint I ever had was in a pokey place back home in Kildare with no working women's toilets (you know the kind of place!) Well they kept the kegs literally uder the bar. The pints were amazing - smooth and creamy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I used to work for Guinness themselves a few years ago and according to their training course, to get the best pint of Guinness possible, you need to meet the following criteria

1. Constant flow on the Guinness Tap i.e. the guinness should not be sitting in the lines for more than 30 seconds.

2. the shorter the distance to the keg the better (but there will always be at least 1.5 pints in the line at any one time, because of the cooling system/machine)

3. The temperature of the glass in which the pint is being served i.e. room temp is good, but cooler is better.

4. The Glass must be bone dry, i.e. washed and dried

5. Presentation is everything, if the Guinness served looks the part, no spillage, no big head, and if served in a Guinness Glass.

That's as much as I can remember, maybe someone from Guinness can correct me if I'm wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Originally posted by Sarky
    The further south in Ireland one goes, the better the Guinness. Odd, but true so far.

I'm not much of a Guiness drinker, but I know a good pint when I have one. I gotta agree with Sarky on this one.

My sentiment exactly. I once went through a time when I drank nothing but Guiness, went to Croke Park to a GAA game then had a Guiness in some hotel nearby after, put me off the stuff for ages.

Have had Guiness is pubs all over Tipp and Waterford. They were good pints overall, so yes, I believe the further south ya go (rural areas particularly) the better the Guiness.

Memphis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Ive worked as a barman for a few years, 5, but have also worked in Guinness for a Summer. The pint in the storehouse was alright but not great.

Add onto the list
    > The barmans want to pull a good pint
    > Short lines, and if possible to get the lines to come from above the keg, I only know on 4 places where this is true and all serve good pints. Its really odd to find it though
    >Clean Glass
    >Cold Guinness

Nicest pint I had was in the Guinness corporate box in Croke Park, mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

Excellent pint of plain in the Cobblestone, Smithfield at €3.30 a pop! Brilliant music too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 firebird

Mahaffy's, corner of Lombard St, Westland Row, Pearse St... Only, there are two barmen usually, and only one of them pulls the pint properly... The older, skinnier guy =)

Cassidys on Camdon street.

A biyaach of a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 choppers

Best Pint:Nash's near on Patrick Street beside St. Patrick's Cathedral do a great pint at €3.30 a pint. Keg is only 5 feet below in cellar.

Worst Pint of guinness has to be in Boomerangs nightclub in Temple bar ready in 5 seconds, has no head, luke warm and tastes of piss honestly, me and my fellow comandoes nearly got sick, they bar manager looked disgusted when we told him that the pint was worse than slopps and could we change it for a beer.

Anto

• Advertisement
Advertisement