Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most viewed threads

Options
  • 12-09-2003 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a very nice night listening to music and playing along with it on my keyboard when I came across a great track by Sly and the family Stone - "If it were left up to me". I was needing to know the chords to part of the song so I looked up www.tabcrawler.com (which was not doing a search for me unfortunately). I noticed that on the front page (on the left) was what seemed a top six of artists. It got me wondering if it was a top six of artists based on number of searches on the site. This would mean that the artists' popularity was determined by the amount of people wanting to be able to play their music. (as tabcrawler is a website for learning music). Surely such a top ten is a good basis for popularity.

It got me thinking that boards could benefit from such a top ten idea maybe. If there was a link to "most popular threads" or "most viewed threads" it'd be just spiffing. I see that it has been suggested by Kali before.

There would be complications due to the older threads like UTV in IoffL and the "what song you listening to" threads but maybe the search could be done on a daily basis? Or weekly. Ie - if the thread hasn't had a post in a week then do not include in the search.

What you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

what he said, not that i care, im just bored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well at the bottom of the thread listings page for each forum you can choose to order the threads by number of views or postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, something like that for the whole of boards. But limited to last weeks threads..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sounds good. Have seen it on a number of other forums set up in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But wouldn't that just perpetuate the same old flame wars over and over?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    But wouldn't that just perpetuate the same old flame wars over and over?
    Yes, it may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Gordon
    Yes, it may.

Oh no it won't!

Ken.. practicing his panto.

Or how about a scripty thing that calculates how many replies a thread has compared to how many views it has?

Sometimes an interesting thread may be viewed to be more interesting/or less interesting if it has more/or less posts; relatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Maybe instead of being a search for the most replies/views overall, how about most replies/views in the past week?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, I really like this sort of thing. We're caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment give that any work we do now will have to be sizeably rewritten for VB3 and given the number of extras we've added on thats not an inconsiderate piece of work. So we'd rather get VB3 stabilsed and in production and THEN start to build stuff on top of it rather then build stuff we know we'll have to rewrite in a few months time.

We've already planned and developed some stuff like the Mod-Recommended thread option and some top X thread stuff which should be *kinda* what you are looking for but as I said we have to bide our time a bit, I just dont want people thinking we are sitting on our asses.

Add to this the implosion of Spin Solutions and a number of the admins have had to pay more attention to Real Life for a while and hence there are some more pressing issues to be addressed in our spare time!

Not to mention that Regi and Ecksor have successfully split the site over two servers now... not an inconsiderate task and have done it so cleanly that I doubt many people noticed anything but a bit of a speed improvement!

All of this is a long way of saying: Yes, thats the sort of thing I want to do but, patience my precious... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement