Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best computer hardware buys

• 12-09-2003 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

try www.basoncomputers.com I got a 180gb external usb hd for $130 there's a shipping fee on top of it but it's still a great deal...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

are you sure they will ship to europe ?, i think US companies are forbidden to do so - other than to us forces overseas

ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by iisollie
    are you sure they will ship to europe ?, i think US companies are forbidden to do so - other than to us forces overseas

LOL - are we getting a bit paranoid Ollie? Course they can ship to Europe. A lot of American companies won't for reasons only known to them. My guess is they think Europe is the capital of Paris and it is all very far away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by unkel
    LOL - are we getting a bit paranoid Ollie? Course they can ship to Europe. A lot of American companies won't for reasons only known to them. My guess is they think Europe is the capital of Paris and it is all very far away ;)

If the value of the goods is above a certain amount you get stung with import tax, can't remember what that value is but I got hit with it before, the delivery guys in dublin wouldn't send it out unless i paid them about 150 eurons import tax,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't think its over a certain value. I think they only catch a certain amount of imports for it. It seems to be pretty random and just blind luck if you do or don't get caught. US companies are not prohibited from shipping to europe. Why would you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

They're prohibited by the manufacturers, Apple are one culprit for sure.

• Advertisement

Sorry Apple can stop its dealers from selling stuff to europe but non apple dealers can ship to europe no problem. Thats nothing to do with the law. Thats just Apple being an ass. Where are you getting this from BTW?

I don't think its over a certain value. I think they only catch a certain amount of imports for it. It seems to be pretty random and just blind luck if you do or don't get caught. US companies are not prohibited from shipping to europe. Why would you say that?

because i have tried buying from several US companies. Try ordering something electrical form amazon.com. They will ship anything to Ireland except electrical stuff. Same applies to several other companies (but perhaps not to all). If you look at amazon.co.uk you will see that they wont ship outside of europe.
    Have you bought some electrical stuff online from US ?

Ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

might be warranties not being for outside emea or usa on certain items , and instead on just having a few they put a blanket ban on all ,

could be completely wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That might just be an amazon policy so they can make more money.

Have you bought some electrical stuff online from US ?

Ollie

yes

• Advertisement

who did you buy from - I have tried several companies and they all refused - would be handy to have the name of one or 2 that will ship here

ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sony's online store is arranged regionally, and will only allow you to buy from a regional store if you have a shipping address in that region, i.e. can't buy from US store if you live in Ireland.

It means they can continue to sell a product like the Cybershot P72 digital camera for approx $200 more to Irish customers than to US customers.

who did you buy from - I have tried several companies and they all refused - would be handy to have the name of one or 2 that will ship here

ollie

I bought Mac stuff from non apple dealers. Stuff like drive enclosures etc. CPU upgrades etc. Can't remember who, it was a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

because i have tried buying from several US companies. Try ordering something electrical form amazon.com. They will ship anything to Ireland except electrical stuff.

That's because they think we're as thick as they are and we don't know their electrical appliances run on 110V rather than 220V :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

I've bought alot of stuff from Ebay.com - Get them to label it as a gift or Sample...
    No duty and they ship via Post to your door...Perfect :) Thats how I got a Radeon 9700 Pro for under 300 Euros back when they were 400+

Advertisement