Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database question

Options
  • 12-09-2003 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Ok guys,

Im totally new to databases and need some advice.
    I need a database for a webpage which will hold text and multimedia information.

From looking at the intraweb, these seem the common types:

1.ASP

2.Cold fusion

3.CGI/Perl

4.Perl

Which would be the most suitable, given the fact that the database is to support multimedia info.?

Thanks for the all the help,

king :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Two things..

First of all decide where, and how, the website is going to be constructed.
    If its going to be dynamic content on a UNIX server, then possibly Perl or PHP scripts connecting to a Mysql/PostgreSQL db would be the best option.. on a Windows NT/2000 platform your best bet would probably be ASP or Perl and MSQL.

Secondly, thats a list of programming languages, suitable for accessing a data storage, not a list of databases. The most common database options would be MSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle.

Also, why are you storing multimedia content in a database? on most systems that's horribly inefficient... just store a URL/link to the content and let the webserver handle the load.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as not databases, as kali said you if you are going for free db's then you are as well with MYSQL, it fine for use with Perl.

Personally I would not use MYSQL with ASP as it is not very MS friendly so you could get away from MSAccess or if you have a paid version SQL Server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by yop
    Personally I would not use MYSQL with ASP as it is not very MS friendly so you could get away from MSAccess or if you have a paid version SQL Server.
    Hahahaha. MSAccess to store multimedia/binary data? I don't think so. Back to the children’s table with you, yop.

king_of_inismac: If you need to store multimedia/binary data in a database (and as Kali mentioned you may be better off not doing that), then you need a database that supports large binary fields. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL all support such data. As for which one to use, I would select a database, based upon your pool of skills, budget and the technology platform used - so it’s not really that clear cut a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Originally posted by yop

surely that's the whole idea... anything that releases M$'s stranglehold on the industry is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Microsoft has about 24% market share of web server software. SQL Server has in the approx. 12% RDBMS market share, that's hardly strangle hold now, is it?

As Kali said you could just store the link to the Multimedia files in the DB and let the web server handle everything else. This, imho, would be the best way. A lot of document management systems I've worked on do the same thing.

Which option is best for you, king_of_inismac, only you can decide. What development related experience do you have so far? And, again to repeat Kali, what's this going to run on, Unix or Microsoft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Actually it seems from you bluetooth question that you're already familiar with VB. If so I'd recommend ASP. You'll get plenty of help here and other places on the web :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

multimedia
    oopss missed that!! soz, forget MsAccess.

I agree that MS have too much control on what software we use but IF he was to use MS products, based on experiences, I would not use MYSQL.
    Obviously you would save on the licenses but what you save on this you will spend on the learning curve, unknown issues that you will be faced with using MYSQL.
    From what I hear it is spot on for Perl etc, and no I am not a dedicated MS fan,

Advertisement