Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

games you've made

Options
  • 12-09-2003 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi all,

just wondering if any of you have made a game or games. I've always wanted to do it but only made my first attempt at it as a 3rd year project in college during Jan Feb of this year. (no programming experience until college)

I made (an attempt at) Jenga 3D using Open GL. It was my first time using OpenGL and I found it pretty nice to use but doing the project really opened my eyes to the complexity of game programming (physics, user input, textures, onscreen diplay, the game loop etc). My physics kind of cheated actually but I only had 6 weeks to do it and would say i spent pretty much 5 week solid actually working on it. I was fairly happy with the result seeing as it was a first attempt, short time span and all.

I'd really like to hear about any projects you've worked on, what experience you drew from it etc so post away :)

(mods: if this should be in the programming forum sorry, please move)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

There is a games editing board, it'd probably be better off there. Also read the thread entitled "New Magazine" on that board, it might be of interest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

I did PingPong in JScript :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Oh yeah, I did http://games.mozdev.org/snake a couple of years back. You'll needs mozilla to play it. Or maybe it will work with a newer netscape that is based on mozilla code.

Eric Murphy then took it and used it as the basis for creating a networked application example in his O'Reilly book on creating applications in Mozilla along with co author Brian King.

It's written with XUL to create the interface and javascript to control it. Pretty basic. But I learned some stuff whilst doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

worked on LEDWARS and LMK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I once made an Operation Wolf style game, only with no scrolling background and badly drawn space ships.

But it had a hall of fame, and sounds, and vertical scrolling intro credits, and was a laugh to play for five minutes.

Oh, the days when I had time to learn AMOS on the Amiga...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was on a HL modding team with some of the people who went on to make CS!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shoot-Em-Up Construction Kit on the Amiga was the extent of my game creating skills. I spent about three months making a pretty decent top-scrolling game where you controlled what was a dodgy rip-off of a TIE Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I worked/working on warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I really like programming and especially game programming, but i'm not very good at sticking to things. I have about a bazillion started games on my computer, but I never get around to finishing anything. I've never had to do any game for anyone, so I suppose that's why...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmm, kinda related, I write music for the thingies. So far for 2 free mods mods and 2 (small) commercial releases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If you're interested in games development, it might also be worth looking at http://www.gamedevelopers.ie/

Advertisement