Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Best Fighting Game\Series

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

just look at the CPU controlled Sagat... just stands there the whole time using fireballs then picks you out of the air with tiger uppercut if you even think about jumping at him.

If you had the skill you could just jump and duck between them until u were a pixel out of his range and force the player to make a silly counterable mistake. However I did play it again recently and most of my skills have gone down hill quite a bit. I'm no longer the monster SF2 player I was :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well I didn't say it was hard to get around - it was just an example of the predicability of SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Thats not the predictability of SF2, thats the predictability of the bad AI :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you play some one good, kdjac (which I've to do sometime since its been a long time since I've been beaten), you'll see just how much skill is involved with SF2. The computer AI is very predictable but it is good for practicing against cheese ball tactics.

Does anyone else think that KI isn't all that good a fighting game especially in multiplayer and only really good for showing off? I haven't played it all that much but the two player matches seem to consist of two people walking away from each other and daring each other to attack by throwing the odd fireball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

It may not be the best of the above games, but it certainly in my view made the biggest impact. I dont touch consoles now, and i havn't since i got into pc's about 8 or so years ago, but i remember Street fighter 2 on the Snes being one of the most highly played games of all time. If i was in a mates house, and offered a choice to play the latest and best beat em up on an x-box/ ps2 or play SF2 on the snes, id go for the snes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i dont belive this

Guilty gear X2 is the best fighting game out these days .
    Play its, its awesome.

Capcom vs snk 2 is the ****est game ever .

Marvel vs capcom 2 is pretty good.

Samurai shodown 4 is a classic

Street fighter 2 turbo is a super mega classic
    shortly followed by Street fighter 2 rainbow edition

Tekken 4 = bleh , Virtua fighter 4 seems nice .

i was in singapore and i played street fighter 3 , 3rd strike and street fighter 2 double impact and they were awesome, lucky dreamcast owners.

i'm bulling it that i couldn't convince my two DC owning friends to get a very cheap copy of SF3 while in America. Well it's their loss. And mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Originally posted by Placebo
    i dont belive this

Capcom vs snk 2 is the ****est game ever .

i was in singapore and i played street fighter 3 , 3rd strike and street fighter 2 double impact and they were awesome, lucky dreamcast owners.

Yeah SF3: third strike is pretty damn good, I urge anyone with a DC to try to find a copy on ebay or somewhere, its worth it.

Arrgh how can you say that about CVSNK2?? Its amazing! Pure depth and gameplay, whats more to want? Ok so maybe they left out a good few characters that would've made great additions and some of the sprites are horrendously outdated *cough*Morrigan*cough* but other than that I reckon the game's nigh on perfect for a fighting game. One man's rubbish is another's riches I spose, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

On Capcom vs. SNK, although Capcom unfairly gave their characters advantages over the SNK roster, its still a great series. The fact that these two companies crossed over is amazing, that alone makes this game appealing.
    I want to try out the sequel on the Xbox. The fact that this is online (and you can turn off the damn "Easy Operation" settings) has made Xbox Live a serious consideration.

Finally Guilty Gear has been mentioned, haven't played it myself but it looks lovely. On a side note, Sammy and Capcom have teamed up to make (you guessed it) Sammy vs. Capcom for the arcades. SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos is also set for release soon.

While Ryu, Ken (plus Chun Li in Third Strike) are the only characters in Street Fighter III from the original games (all the others are new), I really want to get a game from this series. Pity its one of the valued Dreamcast games as far as eBay is concerned...

Arrgh how can you say that about CVSNK2?? Its amazing! Pure depth and gameplay, whats more to want? Ok so maybe they left out a good few characters that would've made great additions and some of the sprites are horrendously outdated *cough*Morrigan*cough* but other than that I reckon the game's nigh on perfect for a fighting game. One man's rubbish is another's riches I spose, or something like that.
    i think "bunny" on this forum explains it well when it comes to SNK vs Capcom, he was right when he told me it wasnt worth it, i used to think it was great and once i bought it, it was a let down.

The character select screen is BETTER than the ingame.
    The sprites for SNK are awful, u can see huge pixels, ok let alon graphics, the game play is just dull. Whats with the endings ? from what i played characters doing have specific endings.

Groves/styles, backgrounds were good and the name itself but the rest of it is awful.

Sammy and Capcom have teamed up to make (you guessed it) Sammy vs. Capcom for the arcades

woohooo although i done see how Guilty gear X characters can be on the same screen as streetfighter ones - totally diffrent graphics, lets hope its not like Chun-li and morrigan on the same screem

• Advertisement

i think "bunny" on this forum explains it well when it comes to SNK vs Capcom, he was right when he told me it wasnt worth it, i used to think it was great and once i bought it, it was a let down.

The character select screen is BETTER than the ingame.
    The sprites for SNK are awful, u can see huge pixels, ok let alon graphics, the game play is just dull. Whats with the endings ? from what i played characters doing have specific endings.

Groves/styles, backgrounds were good and the name itself but the rest of it is awful.

Ok firstly the character select screen? what exactly has this got top do with the overall game and how exactly can it be "better" than the ingame as you put it? Please elaborate.

Ok like I said some of the sprite are abd but c'mon not all them are, especially the SNK ones? My personal favourite out of the whloe lot('cept for maybe Bison) is Ultimate Rugal, surely you like his sprite!? Others like Ryo, Joe and Haohmaru kick ass. though Nakoruru sucks balls, I will give you that.

Ok the endings? You have a problem with the endings? Hmm I think you're playing this game for the wrong reason let me just remind you that this is a 2D fighting game, a 2D fighting game called Capcom vs SNK 2, a game that features a fair few characters who supposed to be dead if I'm not mistaken(Bison, Rugal, Vice for example). I mean no offence or anything but this is hardly the sort of game you play if you're looking for a deeply driven story/plot line. It's a well known fact that 99% of fighting games features crap storylines also.

As far as the gameplay goes, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's great.

Ok firstly the character select screen? what exactly has this got top do with the overall game and how exactly can it be "better" than the ingame as you put it? Please elaborate.

ok, well you start the game, you move forward to the character select screen and your like "holy ****" amazing, the characters look brilliant, then the game starts , theres new chunli on one side and then theres this old morrigan on the other, theres ken on one side then theres this poorly made Nakoruru.
    i cant think of ne names, never played it much, but main point is if 2 games are too be joined then all the characters should be remade, if mortal kombat vs streetfighter was too come out then would you have prefered dark mortal kombat characters fighting with white bright ryu.

the reason i hate it, is because its like mugen, a 2d engine, charcaters are just thrown in.

as far as the fighting experience goes i have guilty gear x and after playing that Snk vs Capcom looked really bad to me.

I agree that the graphics are far nicer on GGX(have it myself after all). I just cant get to grips with the game, too much insanely high jumping and some of the characters are just too whacky for my liking. That guy wit the bag over his head??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Retr0gamer

Does anyone else think that KI isn't all that good a fighting game especially in multiplayer and only really good for showing off? I haven't played it all that much but the two player matches seem to consist of two people walking away from each other and daring each other to attack by throwing the odd fireball.

Your joking...Yes there was always blokes who would show off with massive combos but if two skilled players fought it was a different story. Hense the combo breakers, proper Air juggles and ultimate combos.

I agree that the graphics are far nicer on GGX(have it myself after all). I just cant get to grips with the game, too much insanely high jumping and some of the characters are just too whacky for my liking. That guy wit the bag over his head??

yeah, dont like that character either

well i guess nothing can beat good old street fighter 2

Well it's probably because i didn't give it much of a chance since I'm dire at it. I'll have to load up KIame more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I voted Tekken, tho i was torn between That and Soul Calibur. I love Ivy, and Kilik rocks. Tho when it comes down to it, i didnt get jin kazamas tattoo done on my arm for nothing :D
    Whos a rock star? Im a rock star *L*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

well i guess nothing can beat good old street fighter 2
    Sorry but yur wrong. Although it was great in it's day I'd never go back to it from Capcom vs SNK 2. For starters it's desperately slow. But there have also been alterations to characters which stop the use of cheap tactics and force you to use more varied attacks. There's now a move or technique to counter everything; rolls, tactical recoveries, counters etc. There's a lot more depth to the gameplay now.

Capcom vs SNK 2 doesn't have great graphics, doesn't have that many stages for fighting, doesn't have specific ending for each character but for the all important gameplay- it's streetfighter at it's very best. Plus you got a shit load of characters to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

the poll should have included the smash brothers series, it's by far the best multiplayer fighting series out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

as for tekken not havin enough characters that are useful, thats rubbish if u are any good at the game, also i read somewhere above sayin that paul is too good! hes one of the worst in t3/ttt
    anyway
    tekken tag(arcade first,ntsc then, not the abominatin pal version)
    king of fighters 2000 is my preference from them
    sf2 turbo
    soul cal2(bit of a silly laff, great for multiplayer)
    tekken3
    sf alpha3
    virtua fighter2'(the version that the backdash was removed from!)
    virtua fighter3
    super sf2 turbo
    tekken 4,
    for me in that order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Has to be Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution for me. The game just has a sense of timing and logic you won't find in Tekken or SC.

Namco's games take some serious studying to play properly because everybody's moves connect differently rather than conforming to some sort of standard. Then there are all the 10 string combo's you have to learn off, and thats just the start!

As 2d titles go I'm partial to a little King of the Fighters 1998 and Garou: Mark of Wolves. Good old Street Fighter 2: Turbo is always nice to break out for challenges too. Everybody knows how to play it.

It's time Capcom did Street Fighter 4. All the Vs and Alpha games never really did it for me. I'd like to see them take 2d graphics to the next level like they did with SF3, minus the alien characters which felt a bit out of place.

Yeah I'd love to see Street Fighter 4 also but I doubt it will happen. If it does they will have to get rid of some of the aweful characters from Third Strike.

Advertisement