Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamweaver MX 2004

Options
  • 12-09-2003 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone try the trial or buy the latest version of Dreamweaver (MX 2004)? I've been playing around with it today and am impressed with the new look and the new features it has... e.g. greater support for css, etc.

Don't know whether the thing is worth the upgrade price $399 for Studio MX. Maybe think it should of been version 6.1 instead of 7.0.

Anyone think it is actually worth the upgrade price? If you've tried it, what do you think of it so far?

Cheeurs...

Dave

Will you be upgrading to DW MX 2004? 11 votes

Hell yeh... ASAP!
    0% 0 votes
    Will if I have to!
    54% 6 votes
    Couldn't be bothered!
    9% 1 vote
    Dreamweaver? No way!
    36% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'll be sticking with Ultra Dev. Although it has woeful CSS support, I thought the CSS support was about the only good thing in Dreamweaver MX. If you know how to put HTML together then you don't really need all the fancy features of MX anyway. (Although the automatic update of links is a life saver!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by Serbian
    (Although the automatic update of links is a life saver!)

Frontpage anyone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucian

Great product.
    I worked with Ultradev4 for few years, but it always gave problems, so I had to update the entire website Besecure 2000

It took me three days to finish it but I am telling you MX is the best program ever.
    I don't know about the studio package but will give it a try later.

Front page - Sorry man but I don't think is for profesional use.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by lucian Front page - Sorry man but I don't think is for profesional use.
    I don't think Frontpage is for any kind of use - professional or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

I haven't tried it yet but I think I might buy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by kbannon
    I don't think Frontpage is for any kind of use - professional or not!
    Agreed. Anybody using it should be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

MX is only useful for layout and design, the price doesnt warrant that.

I think you might want to read the original frontpage post in context again lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Now Baz,

You know it can do more than that. It allows you to set up database driven sites as well as the design and layout part. That's why they brought DW4 and UD4 together with the release of MX.

It's a good program for speeding up the design and development process in comparison to hand coding everything. I believe you will agree with that. I think the price of the software is a good one, if you are being your first licence or additional licences. Just don't think the price of the upgrade is worth $399.

Baz, are you considering buying it?

p.s. I can't stand that frontpage program!

Cheeurs...

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The database structure for MX is crap to say the least, it`s ok for 5 mins, but not when you want total control of data manipulation. Much easier to use textpad4 when handling complex sql. That said i`m sure its fine as an introduction to DB using Access. But for something that takes 20 lines in MX code(MM_Connect etc.) can be simply done using a couple of lines, thats if you`re into refining handwritten code. Some people like some people dont, depends what side you`re coming from, a coding side or not.

As for buying it, i doubt it, its not worth the money, but if it was to find its way onto filemirrors or some super secret FTP site, then who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Good points about the data manipulation.

If I can do something in DW in 5 minutes that might take 20 minutes to hand code, then I'll use DW built in functions. More cost effective that way. Plus, you can always combine the 2 by using the split view in DW. I use the built in functions sometimes but mainly use own coding with the cms's.

Each to his own!!

p.s. pm me with any of those sites you mentioned to me before...

Cheeurs

• Advertisement
Advertisement