Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Cruickshank, the Museum and the Propaganda of the Left.

Options
  • 12-09-2003 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I watched an excellent programme on BBC2 last night: Dan Cruickshank - "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The program suggested that the immediate post-war looting of the Baghdad museum was hugely exaggerated and that, far from 170,000 items being looted, there are actually only 6000-10000 small items and 33 major items missing. And, most damningly, it was an inside job. It also seemed that most of the items were taken long before the war started.

Note that he did provide plenty of proof and, without going into it here (it's friday evening), it all looked very convincing. Does Robert Fisk know about this? Or will he look the other way when he is once again proven wrong? Why haven't RTE and and that increasingly foolish-looking Richard Downes reported this?

From Wed, June 18:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/baghdadmuseum/story/0,13703,994121,00.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    I watched an excellent programme on BBC2 last night: Dan Cruickshank - "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The program suggested that the immediate post-war looting of the Baghdad museum was hugely exaggerated and that, far from 170,000 items being looted, there are actually only 6000-10000 small items and 33 major items missing. And, most damningly, it was an inside job. It also seemed that most of the items were taken long before the war started.

Note that he did provide plenty of proof and, without going into it here (it's friday evening), it all looked very convincing. Does Robert Fisk know about this? Or will he look the other way when he is once again proven wrong? Why haven't RTE and and that increasingly foolish-looking Richard Downes reported this?

From Wed, June 18:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/baghdadmuseum/story/0,13703,994121,00.html

While I'm not up on the new evidence of the museum looting I did see Cruikshanks visits of various sites throughout Iraq.
    To say that the looting wasn't as extensive and exactly how the media portrayed it at the time doesn't hide the fact that the "coalition" forces didn't protect it.
    I found his whole stance one sided from the beggining, blaming all damage done on Saddam. While Saddam didn't show the same western "respect" for the antiquities in his country...you can hardly blame him for them being bombed by the illegal war carried out by America and Britian.
    It's like blaming Hitler for Dresden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw that prog when it was first broadcast a couple of months
    ago.

His detective work completely demolished the lie that the US
    stood by as looters when on the rampage. Indeed most of the most valueble items were already in storage while the museum itself was in a dreadful condidtion not becuase of the US bombing
    but due to alot of local corruption which had been on-going for years. Its worth seeing if anyone gets the chance.

I think Dan Cruickshank rocks anyway! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by mike65

His detective work completely demolished the lie that the US
    stood by as looters when on the rampage.

I missed that part
    Indeed most of the most valueble items were already in storage while the museum itself was in a dreadful condidtion not becuase of the US bombing
    but due to alot of local corruption which had been on-going for years. Its worth seeing if anyone gets the chance.

When did anyone claim that the US bombing caused the "dreadful condition" of the museum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Why haven't RTE and and that increasingly foolish-looking Richard Downes reported this?
    Because that would require intellectual honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

"Propaganda of the left".

What an open minded, non biggoted and illuciated view of divergent views from your own you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Typedef
    "Propaganda of the left".

What an open minded, non biggoted and illuciated view of divergent views from your own you have.
    Please explain. Do you not believe that there actually might be propaganda coming from both sides of political divide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Really when you think about it, that the museum was looted at all was just another proof that the US invasion was ill-advised and an indication of the anarchy into which the country is still sliding despite increased troop levels to those that actually carried out the invasion.

Advertisement