Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate Camp - Ribbon Development

Options
  • 12-09-2003 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Ok I need some edumication :)

First the story behind my questions, my mum and dad have a retirement home in a rural-ish part of the county about 45 minutes drive from North Dublin. It was built over the course of about twenty years, we built part of it, let planning permission lapse, reapplied for permission to finish it, got refused, asked nicely, got permission and finished the house.

Now we have become friendily with the next door neighbours, and if you can visualise it, the house is situated on a long stretch of road probabily about a mile and a half long, with perhaps two dozen houses on it. Every so often a new house is built in the area, but in general terms its tough to get planning permission and I have to say I am glad its that way.

Is this a case of double standards, building a rural house, not living in it and then complaining about ribbon development, I would argue that its not in fact my house. Over the past few years I have become more sympathetic to the voices in our socitey that argue against ribbon development (in marked contrast to the opinion of my gf who comes from a rural area), the only reason I have ever heard voiced has been that it clogs our landscape with one off houses, the idiots that live in them do their best to ensure stick out as much as possible and thats always been good enough for me.

A few weeks ago, our elderily next door neighbour was sitting in our kitchen complaining about the areas planning policy. He said a group of developers where going to build a golf course about half a mile down the road from us.

Whats the problem I said, surely thats a good thing ?

Ah no well the golf course will be great but you see he (the developer) is going to put 20 odd chalet's at the back of the course, for golfers to stay there.

So ?

Well golfers are hardily going to want to stay there when it will be such a small course and they will still be so close to Dublin, so what do you think they will end up doing with them ?

I don't know, I said

Refugee's just like Mosney says he, and they are doing all this while our own children can't get planning permission to build on our own property.

At this moment I wasn't exact suprised by the source of his annoyance, but I still was aware that main source was that he couldn't get planning permission to build houses on his land. Now these are people who have fought the building of houses in a small development in local village but yet still get annoyed when they can't get permission themselves, its all a bit, keep it local.

I discussed the conversation with my Dad (who was present) later and he argued with me that he didn't see a problem at with ribbon development, people should have the right to build what they liked where they liked. I commented that i believed the impact on the provision of services to be enormous but had no real hard evidence to back me up.

So tell me why is ribbon development a bad thing, why shouldn't I just be let build my four bed room, pink, dormer bunglelow on top of the hill of tara ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

God that guess I posted this thread at the same time
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114986

Anyway the problem people have with ribbon type development is that it can lead to people who are from the area not been given permission.

An Example:
    A mate of mine applied for permission for a small 4 bedroomed bungalow on a site owned by a neighbour but was turned because they said there was too many houses in the area but thats because a few years ago they let people move out of the town and build homes there.

So in my opinion if your not from the location you shouldn't be allowed to build and if you get permission you should have to live there for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MDR
    Refugee's just like Mosney says he, and they are doing all this while our own children can't get planning permission to build on our own property.
    This is the type of mentality that makes me advocate justifiable homocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People should understand that for every house resorces are required and that building in an essentially random fashion
    is ultimately unsustainable. Every home needs water, power, telephony, access, etc. All cost, and cost more if strung out over a wide area. ALL rural building for living in should be based around "hubs" where homes can share infrastructure and even maybe a
    a bit of local community might be created. (Yes I know some ppl want to get away from it all, but they'll have to buy an existing property).

Mike.

Advertisement