Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article] New range of faults will make car test tougher

Options
  • 12-09-2003 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/1449778?view=Eircomnet
    New range of faults will make car test tougher
    Friday, 12th September, 2003

Car owners face a tougher National Car Test (NCT) from Monday for a range of faults including misaligned headlights and improper number plates.

Until now a number of defects have been classified as a "fail advisory", which was simply a warning. However, from next week car owners will be refused a test certificate if the faults are not repaired.

The move is the final step in the phased implementation of the NCT since testing began almost four years ago.

Figures for this year show the failure rate for the NCT is running at 46 per cent, and this figure is expected to increase when the new measures are introduced.

Misaligned headlights have been among the most common faults detected at test centres, which have only incurred a caution until now.

From Monday, a car owner whose vehicle fails the test for faults which previously carried a warning will have to have their car repaired and retested before receiving a NCT certificate. A full test costs €48.40, while retests cost €27.20.

Announcing the changes yesterday, the Minister of State for Transport, Dr James McDaid, said the move would help improve road safety.

"Defective headlights are a serious road safety issue which must be confronted once and for all. Persons driving vehicles with misaligned headlights are not just a danger to themselves, but are putting at risk the safety of all other road users."

In advance of the changes, letters have been issued to car owners which include a list of the new reasons for refusal of a test certificate.

Overall, failure rates for the NCT have been falling since it was introduced. The pass rate for full tests in 2000 was 46 per cent, compared to 54 per cent so far this year.

Tests are conducted on cars more than four years old.

In a separate development, motorists will have to know how to fix their cars as part of an overhaul of the driving test.

As part of the driver theory test, learner drivers will be questioned on the mechanical aspects of their car.

Failure to correctly answer three mechanical questions, such as how to lift the bonnet, or explain how oil, windscreen washer-fluid or engine coolant is checked, will record a fault in their test.

A spokesman for the Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, said driving testers were being trained in preparation for the new measures, which will be introduced in the coming weeks.

"It's not about making drivers into mechanics. It's just ensuring that someone has basic knowledge of a car, and if it breaks down they would at least be capable of assessing the damage," the government spokesman said.

Vehicles with the following faults will automatically be refused a NCT certificate from Monday:

Misaligned headlights
    Registration plates not conforming to legal requirements
    Worn break pedals
    Defective horns
    Faulty windscreen wipers
    Missing or damaged rear-view mirrors
    Front and rear wheel misalignment
    Imbalance in shock absorbers
    Rear-view mirror missing or damaged
    Defective handbrake,
    faulty doors,locks, anti-theft devices
    Defective side lamps
    Misaligned auxiliary lamps

* For further information, log onto www.nct.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The headlamp alignment test is the major bugbear for most.

I have know of many cases where people have had their lights aligned correctly before the test - only to be told (after the test) that one of their lights is out of focus :confused:

Another point re the test -
    I saw a notice at my local test centre informing people that all welding repairs to bodywork MUST be left unfinished (i.e. raw, untreated) for the NCT test.
    How can somebody who is restoring a car be expected to bring it for a test in such a condition ?
    Most welding repairs are done during a restoration when the vehicle is stripped down (and in no state to be tested until the restoration is complete) !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It's just another fcuking money scam. Does the government think we have money to just spend on new cars every 3 years.

What they should be doing is rounding up all those fcukers with Hi-Aces and Transits that are 20 years old, that have more fumes pooring of of them than Sellafield.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I receivd an advisory that one of my headlamps wasn't bright enough. The headlamp was OEM & brand new at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

"faulty doors,locks, anti-theft devices"

whats this have to do with safety? not having them isn't going to do much harm to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i would think a faulty door, say a door that would not stayed closed and could fly open while driving would be a safety issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

aye thats why i highlighted the ol locks, and anti theft bit of it and not the door bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gideon
    "faulty doors,locks, anti-theft devices" whats this have to do with safety? not having them isn't going to do much harm to anyone
    Give the joyriders an extra 30 seconds of grief?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wonder will home security be taken into account soon so as to stop the bastards breaking in and taking the keys?

Advertisement