Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colombine shootings

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

righto, sparks could you clear up an issue for me? whats the story with buying and importing a blank-firing handgun? one that can only fire blanks?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Spike
    righto, sparks could you clear up an issue for me? whats the story with buying and importing a blank-firing handgun? one that can only fire blanks?
    thanks
    Into the republic?
    Well, it depends. If you mean a starter's pistol, you need a licence (or at a minimum, a letter giving permission to own and use one - starter pistols tend to be a special case) from the Gardai. You need an import order from the Firearms Section of the Department of Justice to ship it into the country.

If you mean any other kind of pistol, whether it be an air pistol, a pistol that only fires blanks or whatever, you cannot get a licence and you cannot legally import or own one without the licence. The only exceptions I can think of would be decommissioned pistols and replicas - you don't need a licence for those, so far as I know, but I'm fairly sure you need an import order, and I seriously doubt you'd get the necessary paperwork with our current Minister for Justice...

The reasons for this date to 1972. Prior to '72, you could own a pistol or a rifle with a calibre exceeding .227 inches if you had a licence and licences were granted the same way they are today for .22's and shotguns. In '72, allegedly in response to the security situation in the country (but really because of various other machinations that could take a book to fully explain), a temporary custody order was served on all legal gun owners in the republic. Now a temporary custody order means that you are obliged to hand your firearm into the local garda, who then has authority to hold it for the duration of the order, which legally could not exceed three months, and which could neither be legally extended or renewed at the end of that period.

We've never had the firearms returned. They're still sitting in a Garda warehouse.

The target shooting pistols (pistol shooting makes up a full third of all the shooting events in the olympics, as well as it's role in modern pentathlon and other events) have since lost their value, as has the ammunition confiscated at the same time - a loss for which the owners have never been compensated. And since '72, a non-legislative policy of not issuing licences for any pistol bar starting pistols, and for any rifle apart from .22s and some higher calibres up to .227 or so (a few .303s were kept by, erm, shall we say "colourful characters"? and the threatened legal action by these people caused the gardai to back down and they kept their rifles) which also heavily limits 300m shooters (at the time, 300m shooting was an olympic discipline - it was dropped from the olympics in the 80s due to restrictions on range size, but it remains in the world championships and the Irish Army is training a team for the next world championships).

(BTW Zaphod, that's one of the reasons why I am defensive about my sport - we've been badly screwed in the past, even though the published legislation at the time said we couldn't be... and for the skeptical, I point out that at no time has licenced ownership of pistols or fullbore rifles in the north been either illegal or a security problem. As a result, all the international Irish pistol shooters are from N.Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sparks
    We've never had the firearms returned. They're still sitting in a Garda warehouse.

I'm amazed no-one has taken the police to court on that, if there were as many cases as you seem to be implying.

jc

Originally posted by bonkey

I'm amazed no-one has taken the police to court on that, if there were as many cases as you seem to be implying.jc
    It was challanged at the time, but given the way that things were going (this was the era of the arms trials after all), they didn't get very far. And over the years, the target shooting community tried to negotiate to get them back in good faith, with the end result that we got stepped on time and again. There is an effort underway now to demand them back through the courts, and it's making some progress finally - the Gardai have said that as far as they're concerned, they'd rather not have to warehouse the firearms. The ammunition has to be destroyed (it's too old and unstable to be safe), but the firearms could be returned (many have value as artifacts and heirlooms, and others can still serve as beginner-level firearms for target shooting). The DoJ is the main obstacle now, mainly because of the claims that could be charged against them in civil courts for damages for not having returned the firearms before now. (The cost to the target shooters for having their equipment confiscated without compensation alone would be an impressive figure).

Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to buy an air pistol and train to try out for the National Squad - the amount of gear a pistol shooter needs is minimal (contrast an attache case sized case with the 100lb of gear I have to haul everywhere). Plus, it'll open the sport up far more than it is at present, and the Pony Club can finally shoot tetrathlon correctly, instead of Ireland being the only country in the world that shoots that event with air rifles instead of air pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

Originally posted by Spacedog
    What do you guys think were the primary and secondary causes of the Colombine shootings were?

as chris rock said: "what ever happened to crazy?"

• Advertisement

hmm. well it'd be a replica. that's altered so one can only fire blanks. making it fire live rounds would be extremely awkward (you'd have to get a new barrel etc etc.).....so one'd have no chance of getting one here? and one other question...what'd happen if one bought one online (from america or wherever) and just told them to send it to that person address...what're the odds of actually getting it?
    thanks

hmm. well it'd be a replica. that's altered so one can only fire blanks. making it fire live rounds would be extremely awkward (you'd have to get a new barrel etc etc.).....so one'd have no chance of getting one here?
    I'd say the odds are very very slim. As far as the DoJ are concerned, it's a pistol, not a replica.
    and one other question...what'd happen if one bought one online (from america or wherever) and just told them to send it to that person address...what're the odds of actually getting it?
    thanks
    Well, odds are rather high if noone x-rays it, or writes "firearm" anywhere on it, and it's not searched, and the people sending it to you don't want offical paperwork.
    I don't normally smuggle arms so I'm not expert, you understand :)

But get caught with it, and you're in for a rather akward time of it at best...
    ...and with McDowell ensconsed, I'd not be predicting the best case scenario...

damn politicians...would the fact that its impossible to alter it to fire live ammo (the barrel has holes drilled in it to relieve gas so it can't build up enough pressure etc. and its blocked. plus the fact that the parts its made of can't be altered in any way to make it fire ammo) help in any way?

oh and, the company that sells them had the american DA (or whatever the name is) check them over and see if they could alter them, but they couldnt whatsoever...

damn politicians...would the fact that its impossible to alter it to fire live ammo (the barrel has holes drilled in it to relieve gas so it can't build up enough pressure etc. and its blocked. plus the fact that the parts its made of can't be altered in any way to make it fire ammo) help in any way?
    oh and, the company that sells them had the american DA (or whatever the name is) check them over and see if they could alter them, but they couldnt whatsoever...

Sorry spike. So long as it can set a cartridge off, you'll probably need a licence. Maybe if you can get it permanently decommissioned?

i thought you didny need a licence for a replica...curses to those politicians....ah well. i guess ill just get a non-firing m60 or a bunch of swords instead :)

• Advertisement

i thought you didny need a licence for a replica...curses to those politicians....ah well. i guess ill just get a non-firing m60 or a bunch of swords instead :)
    Both are perfectly legal so long as the m60's been decomissioned...
    :)

Which goes to show how the gun control laws are a bit naff - I mean, I can't own an air pistol, but I could go crawling round the wicklow hills at 3 in the morning with a sniper rifle, night vision scope and silencer, or a semi-automatic shotgun, and it'd be perfectly legal...

and i could run around the tipperary hills all day playing lord of the rings with a bunch of swords. my god ireland is just wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Oh for the love of ...

Okay folks, here's the deal. Someone shoots you in the head. Whether or not the bullet comes out the far side has nothing to do with calibre and everything to do with it's kinetic energy when it strikes your skull. You could be shot with a round from an M-16 and have it remain inside your skull, so long as you were far away enough that the round had less than the threshold amount of kinetic energy when it hits.

In other words, Stallone is not an expert on guns....

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you..but are you saying that a .22 isn't a gun that can kill you from a distance?

Originally posted by sovtek
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you..but are you saying that a .22 isn't a gun that can kill you from a distance?
    I know it's a groan of an answer, but : It depends.
    Mainly on the kinetic energy of the bullet when it hits you, and exactly where it hits you.
    Were I to shoot you in the chest from half a mile away, for example, it's unlikely my rifle would kill you - but a .22 rifle chambered for Hornet or Magnum .22 rounds would be a different story. Remember, the difference in calibre between my rifle and an M16 or an SA-80 is 0.003 inches. The thing is, there's a lot more propellant behind the bullet from an M16. Hence more kinetic energy, hence more damage done by the bullet on the human body.

I know it's a groan of an answer, but : It depends.
    Mainly on the kinetic energy of the bullet when it hits you, and exactly where it hits you.
    Were I to shoot you in the chest from half a mile away, for example, it's unlikely my rifle would kill you - but a .22 rifle chambered for Hornet or Magnum .22 rounds would be a different story. Remember, the difference in calibre between my rifle and an M16 or an SA-80 is 0.003 inches. The thing is, there's a lot more propellant behind the bullet from an M16. Hence more kinetic energy, hence more damage done by the bullet on the human body.

I realize it's often enough used for target practice, other than that it is primarily a deadly weapon.
    While I'm not sure what exactly the original .22 was invented for it certainly can be used as a dangerous and lethal weapon. Often so it is in America.
    One line of thinking is that it's extremely dangerous because of it's range, as in if you miss your target it'll go somewhere you very well might not have intended it to or even be able to see.
    Sorry I'm still just trying to understand your original post in response to Zaphod.

as far as i can remeber, .22 rounds have a range of aprox. 1.5 miles don't they? but i assume itd depend on the rifle its fired from aswell....not much id think though.

I realize it's often enough used for target practice, other than that it is primarily a deadly weapon.
    No, it isn't, any more than a power saw or a car are deadly weapons, i.e. it can act as a deadly weapon, but that is not it's primary purpose.

While I'm not sure what exactly the original .22 was invented for it certainly can be used as a dangerous and lethal weapon. Often so it is in America.
    It was originally made for hunting rodents, birds and other small varmints for food.

And it is not by any means seen as "often" the cause of death in shootings in the states. You're thinking of .32, .38, .45 and 9mm rounds fired from pistols. And when you actually look more closely at the statistics (namely, looking at who was shot, by whom and why), it turns out that the figures quoted by the supporters of gun control are wildly out of whack.

One line of thinking is that it's extremely dangerous because of it's range, as in if you miss your target it'll go somewhere you very well might not have intended it to or even be able to see.
    Highly unlikely, as all ranges are constructed with large berms (think a 20 foot or more tall mound of earth) as a backstop. That's a mandatory safety feature that has to be in there before you get permission to call it a range.
    And as for missing your target, I'm not a top-class shooter but I've never ever missed the black, even outdoors in high wind, and that means that at 50m I've never missed the centre of the target by more than five or six centimetres, not once in a decade. And that's the normal standard for a target shooter. This isn't some kind of rapid-fire cowboy sport. Hell, Javelin throwing has caused more injuries than target shooting in actual competitions...
    Sorry I'm still just trying to understand your original post in response to Zaphod.
    Glad to be able to put more facts into the argument, so ask as many questions as you want :)
    as far as i can remeber, .22 rounds have a range of aprox. 1.5 miles don't they? but i assume itd depend on the rifle its fired from aswell....not much id think though.

Again, it's dependent on the actual round, not the calibre. .22 LR (long rifle) rounds have a range of about three quarters of a mile, in that that's as far as they'll go. .22 Hornet rounds, you're looking at much more than twice that.

No, it isn't, any more than a power saw or a car are deadly weapons, i.e. it can act as a deadly weapon, but that is not it's primary purpose.

I disagree there. Cars and power tools are functional and useful. A gun (even a target rifle/pistol) is made to shoot things. While I'm not disparaging target shooting at all, you can't honestly call a gun a tool (a vivid memory of a McGyver episode comes to mind where he uses a revolver, minus it's cylinder, to close a valve on a fuel line. Then there's Homer's episode with the gun :D).
    Not that I'm saying that target rifles should be banned either.

And it is not by any means seen as "often" the cause of death in shootings in the states. You're thinking of .32, .38, .45 and 9mm rounds fired from pistols.

Yes more often they are pistols, but many have been rifles as well. No I don't have stats (neither did you post any yourself :) ) but I lived in America most of my life and you often heard of .22 being used in shootings and other crimes.
    And when you actually look more closely at the statistics (namely, looking at who was shot, by whom and why), it turns out that the figures quoted by the supporters of gun control are wildly out of whack.

You may very well be right but do you have any stats to post backing that up?
    Highly unlikely, as all ranges are constructed with large berms (think a 20 foot or more tall mound of earth) as a backstop. That's a mandatory safety feature that has to be in there before you get permission to call it a range.
    And as for missing your target, I'm not a top-class shooter but I've never ever missed the black, even outdoors in high wind, and that means that at 50m I've never missed the centre of the target by more than five or six centimetres, not once in a decade. And that's the normal standard for a target shooter. This isn't some kind of rapid-fire cowboy sport. Hell, Javelin throwing has caused more injuries than target shooting in actual competitions...

I wasn't really talking about shooting ranges and I don't doubt that well maintained ranges are safe.
    I was talking more about uncontrolled conditions, like hunting.
    I got a .22 when I was 12 and my dad put the fear of allah into me about safety.
    Again, it's dependent on the actual round, not the calibre. .22 LR (long rifle) rounds have a range of about three quarters of a mile, in that that's as far as they'll go. .22 Hornet rounds, you're looking at much more than twice that.

That's a very long distance and seems to me a dangerous aspect of the .22.

i read in the paper about that new washington sniper or wherever the new one is that he used a .22 rifle...

i read in the paper about that new washington sniper or wherever the new one is that he used a .22 rifle...

Jesus...there's another one?
    Hopefully s/he gets the right people this time around. :D

• Advertisement

I disagree there. Cars and power tools are functional and useful. A gun
    (even a target rifle/pistol) is made to shoot things. While I'm not disparaging
    target shooting at all, you can't honestly call a gun a tool.
    You couldn't be further from the truth. Guns are not only useful tools, they are
    life-preserving tools. Against criminals, there are up to two million defensive
    uses of firearms per year in the US : http://www.guncite.com/kleckandgertztable1.html
    Against animals, I don't have statistics - but it's telling that it's illegal to
    fly over parts of alaska in a small plane, or trek through the woods, without a
    firearm to protect yourself. Similar laws apply in other parts of the world, and
    just because there isn't a law saying you have to carry a firearm to defend
    yourself against predators doesn't mean that to not do so would be foolish.
    Remember, our species is at the top of the food chain. Us as individuals
    are a long way from the top!

Apart from the obvious defensive role, firearms have many other uses from hunting
    for food to rehabilitating stroke victims.

They may not be as useful as cars, but then again, they don't kill as many
    people either - by a factor of nearly ten in the US in 2000. (Stats below).
    Not that I'm saying that target rifles should be banned either.
    Given that target shooting is the world's largest sport (when you count participants and not
    spectators), the oldest and largest modern olympic sport and one of the few
    sports where age and sex are largely irrelevant, I'm glad to hear it!

But I'm curious - define "target rifle". Is it a rifle used for target shooting? Because that includes, quite legitimately -in very large competitions too - rifles like the Barrett light 50, the AR-15 and the Colt .45 ...

Yes more often they are pistols, but many have been rifles as well. No
    I don't have stats (neither did you post any yourself ) but I lived in America
    most of my life and you often heard of .22 being used in shootings and other
    ocrimes.
    You may very well be right but do you have any stats to post backing
    that up?

From the FBI's Uniform Crime Report:

Murder Victims by Weapon, 1997-2001
    Weapon 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001

Total 15,837 14,276 13,011 13,230 13,752
    Total firearms: 10,729 9,257 8,480 8,661 8,719
    Handguns 8,441 7,430 6,658 6,778 6,790
    Rifles 638 548 400 411 389
    Shotguns 643 633 531 485 497
    Other guns 35 16 92 53 58
    Firearms,
    type not stated 972 630 799 934 985
    Knives or cutting
    instruments 2,055 1,899 1,712 1,782 1,796
    Blunt objects (clubs,
    hammers, etc.) 724 755 756 617 661
    Personal weapons (hands,
    fists, feet, etc.) 1,010 964 885 927 925
    Poison 6 6 11 8 10
    Explosives 8 10 0 9 4
    Fire 140 132 133 134 104
    Narcotics 37 35 26 20 34
    Drowning 34 28 28 15 23
    Strangulation 224 213 190 166 152
    Asphyxiation 88 101 106 92 112
    Other weapons or
    weapons not stated 782 876 684 799 1,212

So as you can see, rifles make up around 5% of all homicides with firearms
    annually for that five-year period. What should be noted, however, is that a
    homicide is a crime, and represents a misuse of the firearm used. There are
    already strict laws regarding that. Now if those laws were strictly enforced...
    But it's so much easier to call for banning guns, so that gets done more.

As to accidental deaths, which are the real statistics:

Deaths Due to Unintentional Injuries, 2000 (Estimates) (Chart compiled by GunCite.
    Source of data, except as noted, National Safety Council, Injury Facts, 2001 Edition,
    pp. 8-9, 84)

Accident Type Age
    0-4 5-14 15-24 25-44 45-64 65-74 75+ Total

All Automobile 900 1,500 10,500 13,300 9,200 2,700 4,900 43,000
    Falls 70 70 210 950 1,900 1,700 11,300 16,200
    Poisoning 60 40 800 6,800 3,200 300 500 11,700
    Pedestrian 250 300 750 1,300 1,400 450 850 5,300
    Drowning 450 350 700 1,250 650 230 270 3,900
    Fires, burns 400 260 240 700 800 500 700 3,600
    Suffocation 100 20 30 250 400 500 2,100 3,400
    Firearms 20 60 150 190 110 30 40 600
    Poisoning(gas) 10 10 70 120 80 40 70 400
    All other 700 400 1,100 3,000 3,200 1,600 4,500 14,500
    TOTAL 2,700 2,700 3,800 26,600 19,500 7,600 24,400 97,300

So out of 97,300 fatal accidents, a sum total of 600 were from firearms. And when it comes to children having fatal accidents with firearms, note that out of 700 fatal accidents, 20 were from firearms. There are far more dangerous things out there than guns.
    I wasn't really talking about shooting ranges and I don't doubt that well
    maintained ranges are safe.
    I was talking more about uncontrolled conditions, like hunting.
    I got a .22 when I was 12 and my dad put the fear of allah into me about safety.
    That's a very long distance and seems to me a dangerous aspect of the .22.
    In other words, your dad trained you to hunt properly. Saying that rifles should
    be banned because you could kill someone by firing a rifle in the woods without
    aiming it at a target is like saying that cars ought to be banned because you
    could drive one while drunk and kill someone. Pretty much exactly, in fact - in
    both cases you're misusing a piece of machinery and killed someone because you
    actively chose to misuse it.
    I read a similar report about the last guy. Turned out that someone heard ".223" and thought "Oh, that's just a .22, isn't it?".
    It's not. They are very different beasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I really can't stand people who don't know about guns complaining about them.

.22, yes can be used as an effective assassins weapon. At point blank into the head. Or from close with a rifle. An assassin looking to make a hit from a distance, is more likly to use sub-sonic 7.62 or .303. Lets make an anology most people can understand, a .22 [simple .22 not Hornet, Long, Magnum etc.] would be comperable to a cycle bike runnign into you, you will get hurt and maybe very very slight chance of a fatal damage been done. .22 Long or Magnum would be a Scooter, increased damage. Now a 7.62 Full Metal Jacketed round, would be a Land Rover with Bull Bars , doing 60 km/ph = High proablity of death. Ok?

.22 is designed to target shot, it is simple projectile direction [not saying its easy, describing what the sport is] like archery or darts.

As for airpistols being banned here, god I don't why. Just make it 18+ only and liecenced with penalties that don't make it attractive to own them outside of it. 2 years prison etc. They are so much the easiest of target shooting weapons to learn.

As for gun rampages in schools,are firearms are better than chemical weapons? I can go on line and learn how I can produce gallons of nerve agents in days, which would definitly kill everyone in a building, why would I do it with a gun? If you wanted to kill people in mass, there are easier more detacted forms of doing it, than a firearm. Yes a firearm is more removed than a knife or barehands. Guns are for exicuting, for ridding of tormentors. Thats why the bullied use guns, they are killing their demons. Guns aren't bad, people are. Cliche, big fricken deal. The army develops bigger, better guns, comen man gets them. Same as when the Army develops better communications, mode of transport, clothing.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Guns are not only useful tools, they are
    life-preserving tools.

No I couldn't be further from agreeing with you or what you define as truth.
    There's a difference.

Against criminals, there are up to two million defensive
    uses of firearms per year in the US : http://www.guncite.com/kleckandgertztable1.html

Those stats are based on polls and not police reports. That means that someone might have perceived a threat and brought out a gun, but that doesn't mean that they were actually in any danger nor that brandishing a gun was warranted.
    Against animals, I don't have statistics - but it's telling that it's illegal to
    fly over parts of alaska in a small plane, or trek through the woods, without a
    firearm to protect yourself.

I haven't ever heard of such a law, but then I've never been to the most sparsely populated area of America.
    Similar laws apply in other parts of the world, and
    just because there isn't a law saying you have to carry a firearm to defend
    yourself against predators doesn't mean that to not do so would be foolish.

All those wild animals in New York or Dallas are something I really should arm myself against...but I guess I'm a fool... or just lazy. :)

Apart from the obvious defensive role, firearms have many other uses from hunting
    for food to rehabilitating stroke victims.

Like I said I'm not for banning all guns in all cases. I think the laws are basically on track here. Some might be too restrictive (the air pistol thing is a bit much methinks) but the basic principle I agree with.
    As far as rehab for stroke victims, that's the activity and not the gun itself. There are other ways to rehabilitate stroke victims (again I'm not against target shooting either).

They may not be as useful as cars, but then again, they don't kill as many
    people either - by a factor of nearly ten in the US in 2000. (Stats below).

Which is why I'm heavily in favor of public transport and less cars. If you haven't noticed a car accident means that it has been misused as well.
    I'd suspect there are far more cars than there are guns.
    The latter being far more efficient at killing.

But I'm curious - define "target rifle". Is it a rifle used for target shooting? Because that includes, quite legitimately -in very large competitions too - rifles like the Barrett light 50, the AR-15 and the Colt .45 ...

I wasn't aware that AR-15's were legal in Ireland.

From the FBI's Uniform Crime Report:

Murder Victims by Weapon, 1997-2001
    Weapon 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001

Total 15,837 14,276 13,011 13,230 13,752
    Total firearms: 10,729 9,257 8,480 8,661 8,719
    Handguns 8,441 7,430 6,658 6,778 6,790
    Rifles 638 548 400 411 389
    Shotguns 643 633 531 485 497
    Other guns 35 16 92 53 58
    Firearms,
    type not stated 972 630 799 934 985
    Knives or cutting
    instruments 2,055 1,899 1,712 1,782 1,796
    Blunt objects (clubs,
    hammers, etc.) 724 755 756 617 661
    Personal weapons (hands,
    fists, feet, etc.) 1,010 964 885 927 925
    Poison 6 6 11 8 10
    Explosives 8 10 0 9 4
    Fire 140 132 133 134 104
    Narcotics 37 35 26 20 34
    Drowning 34 28 28 15 23
    Strangulation 224 213 190 166 152
    Asphyxiation 88 101 106 92 112
    Other weapons or
    weapons not stated 782 876 684 799 1,212

So as you can see, rifles make up around 5% of all homicides with firearms
    annually for that five-year period. What should be noted, however, is that a
    homicide is a crime, and represents a misuse of the firearm used. There are
    already strict laws regarding that. Now if those laws were strictly enforced...
    But it's so much easier to call for banning guns, so that gets done more.

It's funny that guns are legal and cause far more deaths per year than narcotics but we have a worldwide "war" against them. Anyway that's another thread.....

There are quite alot of those "misuses" in America per yer. Compare them to places like Ireland and the UK where they are illegal and you have a great case for banning of hanguns and non-sport rifles.
    As to accidental deaths, which are the real statistics:

Deaths Due to Unintentional Injuries, 2000 (Estimates) (Chart compiled by GunCite.
    Source of data, except as noted, National Safety Council, Injury Facts, 2001 Edition,
    pp. 8-9, 84)

Accident Type Age
    0-4 5-14 15-24 25-44 45-64 65-74 75+ Total

All Automobile 900 1,500 10,500 13,300 9,200 2,700 4,900 43,000
    Falls 70 70 210 950 1,900 1,700 11,300 16,200
    Poisoning 60 40 800 6,800 3,200 300 500 11,700
    Pedestrian 250 300 750 1,300 1,400 450 850 5,300
    Drowning 450 350 700 1,250 650 230 270 3,900
    Fires, burns 400 260 240 700 800 500 700 3,600
    Suffocation 100 20 30 250 400 500 2,100 3,400
    Firearms 20 60 150 190 110 30 40 600
    Poisoning(gas) 10 10 70 120 80 40 70 400
    All other 700 400 1,100 3,000 3,200 1,600 4,500 14,500
    TOTAL 2,700 2,700 3,800 26,600 19,500 7,600 24,400 97,300

So out of 97,300 fatal accidents, a sum total of 600 were from firearms. And when it comes to children having fatal accidents with firearms, note that out of 700 fatal accidents, 20 were from firearms. There are far more dangerous things out there than guns.

And there are alot less dangerous things than either guns or cars but for some reason they are illegal or tightly controlled.
    Again, compare where they are banned against where they aren't and you can see the argument.

In other words, your dad trained you to hunt properly. Saying that rifles should
    be banned because you could kill someone by firing a rifle in the woods without
    aiming it at a target is like saying that cars ought to be banned because you
    could drive one while drunk and kill someone.

I never said that hunting should be banned either. My original point was that a .22 is definitely dangerous and not really a tool. The protection against other humans and animals doesn't really make alot of sense in the context of western Europe or most of America.
    Again I'm in favor of more public transport which would reduce such "misuse" in America as well as here. As well I'm in favor of banning of general gun ownership ('cept in certain circumstances) in America.
    I'm anxious to hear how you would stop the epidemic of falling deaths. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

I understand (to a point) the reason of having a firearm for selfdefence, but when it is a fully automatic .50 calibre heavy machine gun, the reason goes out the window ;)

No I couldn't be further from agreeing with you or what you define as truth.
    There's a difference.
    Not when the figures show that I'm right and you're mistaken...

Those stats are based on polls and not police reports.
    As shown by rape figures worldwide, and even by the wife of our own Minister of Justice, police reports are not a reliable or indicative means of determining crime levels in many cases.
    Which offsets your complaint over what a perceived threat can consist of.

I haven't ever heard of such a law, but then I've never been to the most sparsely populated area of America.
    Pilots operating as bush pilots in Alaska are required to carry a defensive firearm. I'm not surprised you've not heard of it, it's not often bandied about. Mind you, anyone familiar with North America's indigenous predators wouldn't venture in the woods without one anyway, as a matter of common sense.

All those wild animals in New York or Dallas are something I really should arm myself against...but I guess I'm a fool... or just lazy. :)
    The predators in major cities are generally of the two-legged variety, and now we're back to the 2 million defensive gun uses per year figure...

Like I said I'm not for banning all guns in all cases. I think the laws are basically on track here.
    To an extent I agree. As does, surprisingly enough, the NRA. The protest isn't to remove all current gun laws, but to enforce them rather than write new ones when the old ones (without enforcement) don't deter crime.
    For example, a criminal shoots a man with a pistol.
    Common sense says you put the criminal in jail for the rest of his life for homicide.
    The Brady proponents say you ban handguns.
    You see the reason for the debate?

As far as rehab for stroke victims, that's the activity and not the gun itself. There are other ways to rehabilitate stroke victims (again I'm not against target shooting either).

There are many other treatments, true - but this one has shown exceptional promise, and can't be easily replicated without the rifle. At all. (They have tried, you know).

Which is why I'm heavily in favor of public transport and less cars. If you haven't noticed a car accident means that it has been misused as well.
    Nope. I've nearly been in more than one accident through factors outside my control while I was driving safely - road resurfacing on country roads at night without warning signs, idiots driving transit vans like rally cars, and so on.

I'd suspect there are far more cars than there are guns.
    The latter being far more efficient at killing.
    Actually, I think you'll find that cars are just as efficent, and they're much easier to claim innnocence or accident over...
    I wasn't aware that AR-15's were legal in Ireland.
    They're not at present, though they're used in an enormous target rifle competition in the states, the AR-15 league.
    It's funny that guns are legal and cause far more deaths per year than narcotics but we have a worldwide "war" against them. Anyway that's another thread.....
    The War on Drugs is definitely another thread.
    By the way, it's funnier that cars are legal and cause far more deaths per year than guns, but even recently the Gardai had a policy not to prosecute for manslaughter if you killed someone through drunken driving...
    There are quite alot of those "misuses" in America per yer. Compare them to places like Ireland and the UK where they are illegal and you have a great case for banning of hanguns and non-sport rifles.
    And compare the figures to places like Switzerland and Germany where they're even more easily available and have far less restrictions, but far, far, far less gun-related crime, and you have a great case for banning firearms for americans...
    I never said that hunting should be banned either. My original point was that a .22 is definitely dangerous and not really a tool.
    Right on the first part, wrong on the second.
    The protection against other humans and animals doesn't really make alot of sense in the context of western Europe or most of America.
    Correct for western europe, wrong for america. "most of america" is really quite undeveloped rural area with a fair few predators like bears and cougars and so on.

As well I'm in favor of banning of general gun ownership ('cept in certain circumstances) in America.
    Won't work. Switzerland and germany, remember?
    Most of western europe, in fact, has very low gun crime and (by comparison with the states) rather lax gun laws.
    Now what they all do have, that the states doesn't, is the requirement that you have some training with the weapon you're licenced to own...

I'm anxious to hear how you would stop the epidemic of falling deaths. :)
    You can't :(
    It's a sad fact, but people die in accidents no matter what you try. And equally sad is that suicides can't be prevented either. Canada tried banning handguns to prevent suicide by handgun. Suicides by handguns fell to nearly nil - and suicides by jumping off bridges and other means jumped in the same year to bring the overall figure back up to it's original level.
    That's the problem with gun control law debates - it's a difficult thing to accept that people will always kill themselves in accidents (hell, three or four people kill themselves putting on their socks in the UK every year!), and there's this great need to do something, or at least be seen to be doing something, even though there's nothing that can be done :(
    End result - gun control laws cut into sporting and hunting uses, as well as self-defence uses, and everyone suffers.
    Observe the UK. After Dunblane, the shooting community said that they would await the outcome of the offical investigation before calling for debate on the matter, out of respect for the families involved. The UK government renaged on this and announced a complete ban on handguns, despite the fact that it wasn't needed and had the police just followed the existing laws, dunblane would't have happened. End result? Half (or more) of the target shooters in the UK were forced to give up their pistols for less than their market worth, a week after the ban a school saw a dunblane-type attack by a nutter wielding kitchen knives, and now, a few years later, the level of violent gun-related crime in the UK has shot up, by up to a factor of three or four in parts of London (after all, no muggee can now be carrying a pistol, can they?).

Havelock,
    As for gun rampages in schools
    Actually, a side point on this is that there have been cases of people going nuts and shooting up schools - only to be stopped by a civilian with a gun. The law school shooting a year or two ago, for example, was stopped by a teacher and a student that were carrying guns at the time. So lives were saved because people had guns.
    And not one news service mentioned this.

Advertisement