Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies reforming?

Options
  • 12-09-2003 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Somebody told me yesterday that Donal Dineen said on his show on Wednesday night that the Pixies are reforming and going back into the studio.

Did anyone else hear this or know if it's true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just a rumour at the moment. The story going around is: world tour in April, possibly followed by a studio album. Story originated from mtv.com

4AD say Billboard.com has the most reliable news on the situation. Billboard.com has a quote from the Pixies manager saying that they have received an offer to play in April, but that they receive many such offers every year.

The rumour probably snowballed from that story, along with Black Francis's comments on XFM that a reunion is never far from his mind, and that the band have been jamming together recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

brilliant news. lets hope it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Frank said he was taking the p1ss with that reunion stuff. the april tour rumour started as an april fools joke over at frankblack.net.

I doubt that there'll ever be a pixies reunion. Frank Black is playing Vicar St in October in support of the new album "Show Me Your Tears", which kix @ss. you should check him out. he plays some pixies songs in the set, but if thats the only reason you're going to see the great man, don't stand near me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think its just a rumour.
    I would love to see them live but its unlikly to happen also what if they came back and were sh*t and released a load of albums that didnt do their legacy justice.
    Just listing to the new Frank Black album now and its F*cking class. Im looking foward to the gig as his performance at witnness a few years ago is still one of my favourite gigs missed him when he played the TBMC as I had already aranged to go to witnness on the friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Frank said he was taking the p1ss with that reunion stuff. the april tour rumour started as an april fools joke over at frankblack.net.

I thought "Devils workshop" was the latest album ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Tusky

No its not. Its "Show Me Your Tears".

new album "show me your tears" was released on friday
    "devils workshop" and "Black letter days" were released last year on the same day

new album "show me your tears" was released on friday

cool ! i'll get it tommorow, I enjoyed Devils workshop allthough it got old quite fast... whats the new one like ? Wish hed get a bit more upbeat, dont get me wrong ive ever album hes released since pixies and love his solo stuff, im not looking for more pixies stuff even but sometimes hes a bit downbeat for my liking

well tusky seing as its the first album since he broke up with the wife its fairly dark as the title would indicate but not overly and it is good. Id definatly recomend it.

"Show Me Your Tears" is great, though not really very upbeat. Try Oddballs. its a collection of bsides and rarities from Cult of Ray and before. theres some faster rockier songs on that, and Man of Steel which is fantastic. You can find it on emusic . theres a deal where you can get 50 mp3s (legally) for free. You can cancel the subscription after that. if you're interested. and before Pigman says anything, I don't have shares in emusic....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

thats class news!!!

I got "show me your tears" gave it a few lisening and I have to say IMO its his worst catholics album... Dont really like it - I like all his others specially Dog in the sand, Pistolero(sp?) and teenager of the year but this is a bit cack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Frank Black should be so lucky... do the maths: He's had a shabby, critically slated, poor-selling solo career that nobody was interested in.

On the other hand Kim Deal has the Breeders.

Pixies reunion? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Awww... critically slated... I'm sure he's worried.

He has a very big core fanbase who will buy just about all of his albums, plus the money from Pixies recordings keeps rolling in.

He's not gonna go hungry.

Nope, he won't go hungry from his Pixies royalties. But that doesn't stop everything he's recorded since they split from being turgid pixies-by-numbers shoutalong drivel. Does it?

But that doesn't stop everything he's recorded since they split from being turgid pixies-by-numbers shoutalong drivel. Does it?

yep, that exactly stops it.

as the Dude said: Thats just your opinion man.

the breeders had one hit song (and lost their best member after the first album). i like Kim Deal, but at least Frank's not gonna be remembered as 'that band who had that hit song that time, something to do with a cannonball'.

i disagree with the critically slated bit too. Mojo loved the new album, and they gave Dog in the Sand a good review too. FB&tC album got a 4 stars out of 5 (i think) off rolling stone.

maybe smash hits didnt like franks solo albums, but maybe you should stop reading smash hits......

btw, what did you think of the new Justin Timberlake album?

Here's a review from Q Magazine

Suffers from the same faults as previous efforts: limp tunes, pompous guitar solos and an overwhelming sense of "Will this do?" [Sep 2003, p.98]

FYI I've been a fan of the Pixies for a long time, I first went to see them in 1987. What were you doing in 1987 eggie?

Granted the breeders had one big hit single, but all 3 of their albums have sold well and they are generally well respected. Your point is like saying "aren't the pixies that band who did There goes your man?".

Also, FYI, there are a few cracking tracks on the Justin Timberlake album, especially the stuff produced by Timbaland and The Neptunes.

I know it's hard, but sometimes you've got to accept artists are past their best-before date. In Frank's case this happened after Trompe Le Monde.

Here's a review from Q Magazine

well you've just shot yourself in the foot there mate. Q magazine, the grown ups Smash Hits. when did they last cover anyone of merit, and don't start telling me that they've got Bowie on the cover this month and had an article about Neil Young last month, cos the fact is they had Robbie Williams on the cover a while ago. that makes them no longer a music mag, simply a pop supplement. This rant is not against you, but Q which has p1ssed me off lately.
    What were you doing in 1987 eggie?

playing with Lego and watching Transformers. not bad going for an eight year old.

no its "arent the pixies that band who did that song "monkey gone to heaven"?"

I don't think that Frank's past it. thats just my oh-pin-yon. I buy Franks albums, I go see his shows when he plays here. I enjoy it all thoroughly. i don't think music needs to be any more than that. I guess I don't need Franks music to be "cool", just as long as he keeps making it (and doesnt reform the pixies).

sorry for the JT slur. ("FYI", thats so Murphy Brown)

(also I have all the Breeders albums too. they're really good, too).

Isn't Mojo basically the same as Q?

They're published by the same company, and if you read both for long enough you'll start to notice them recycling each other's old articles (nearly all those history pieces in Mojo originally appeared in Q in the 80s/early 90s)

Having said that, you are probably right, Mojo is a better mag.

Murphy Brown, what can I say? Obviously a character forming experience.

Isn't Mojo basically the same as Q?
    nope.
    Murphy Brown, what can I say?
    I liked the pretty blonde one who wasn't the old blonde(!) one. oh, and Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

eh i love the pixies but whats with all the frank black groupies in here ? somebpody criticizes him and suddenly people are getting bitchy about it

just face it about half of his solo stuff is rubbish

eh i love the pixies but whats with all the frank black groupies in here ? somebpody criticizes him and suddenly people are getting bitchy about it

Finally, the voice of reason.

just face it about half of his solo stuff is rubbish
    thats just your opinion. i'm just presenting my opinion, which happens to be contrary to yours. doesn't mean either of us is right (or wrong).
    Finally, the voice of reason
    just because some agrees with you doesnt make them the voice of reason. If i said that magpie is a rubbish username and everyone disagreed with me. then some guy says 'no magpie is a rubbish username'. doesnt make that guy the 'voice of reason', it just makes him somebody who thinks similarly to me. its a bit egotistical to think that somebody who thinks like you is the 'voice of reason'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Man, chill out. It's a bit egotistical of you to think someone who disagrees with you is not the voice of reason.:p

yeah you're right. can we put this thread to bed now, please?

Consider this thread dead. Like Frank's career. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Man, chill out. It's a bit egotistical of you to think someone who disagrees with you is not the voice of reason.:p

No hes nout egotestical becauze he said the person who argued against him was the voice of raison.

I am the voice of raisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do you speak for all the sultanas of our time? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Duo

Originally posted by magpie
    Finally, the voice of reason.

And it's surprisingly less articulate than one would expect.

And yay, the pixies are back together. At least for some form of re-union tour, apparently. w00t. ^.~

Advertisement