Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Repair Problem

• 13-09-2003 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I got a Nokia 7650 on the for sale boards about 5 months ago. I'll name no names, but he was good to deal with, no problems at all.

Aaaanyways. Phone has been acting up lately so I sent it off to the Mobile Phone Repair Company (www.mprc.ie) for a software upgrade, tryed to get them to paint the scratched off paint and fix my dodgey battery (knocks off only about twenty times a day - also I dropped it one night so it overheated and hasn't worked since).

Got a phone call the other day asking for 'proof of purchase' that I had to fax through to the MPRC.

Of course, I have none. I emailed the guy I got the phone off, and he said he got it from a buy and sell kind of site in the UK.

I emailed the MPRC a while ago saying I didnt have any proof of purchase, that I got it second hand and the guy I got it off doesn't have proof either.

So what should I do now?

What can the MPRC do?

Thanks,
    conZ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Do they need "proof of purchase" by law or some other reason, or is it simply their company policy? When I bring my car to the mechanic he doesn't ask for the logbook. Ditto my TV etc.

You could ask them to do a check on the ID of the phone to see if its stolen. If its not then they have no reason not to fix it. If they have no means of checking if its stolen then ask them not to keep dicking you around. Of course you have no way of knowing it isn't stolen either and if it is....

Having said all that, I can understand where theyare coming from. Also when you buy some thing 2nd hand, that comes with the knowledge that its cheaper because its not through the official channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

usually it's just to check the phone is within it's warranty period - if it's not then they usually charge for the update

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Hmm.

So what should I do? I've already told them I have no proof of purchase. The phone was made sometime last November (*#0000#).

Aren't Nokia phones covered by a two year warranty anyways?

No reply from them yet, though I wouldn't expect one till Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

tell them to get your phone back
    they will do it other wise if u think you are in **** (by any stolen reason or else)
    tell them u bought it from buy and sell and they
    cant even touch a single hair of your ***
    so not too worry
    just get ur phone back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by conZ
    So what should I do? I've already told them I have no proof of purchase. The phone was made sometime last November (*#0000#).

Aren't Nokia phones covered by a two year warranty anyways?

No reply from them yet, though I wouldn't expect one till Monday.

the *#0000# is more to do with the release date of the firmware installed on the handset, rather than the production / sale date

might be the IMEI was entered into the Club Nokia DB by a previous owner and someone else's details are coming up - so maybe they are just checking?

how long is the warranty - manual (my one here) says 12 months - other people here have said it's 15 (something to do with 3 months grace for shipping/inventory time) and others say 2 years (something to do with an EU directive?) - so not 100% sure myself :)

yeah - i'd just wait until monday and give them a call / wait for them to respond to your email

hope it works out ok for you,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

It could be blacklisted in the UK... and blocked (if stolen)..
    Maybe this could be the reason the guy sold it to Ireland ?
    You can check with the UK networks to see if it is stolen if u know ur IMEI.

I'm probably been paranoid..
    :ninja:

Advertisement