Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Mod News ] Desert Combat .4

Options
  • 13-09-2003 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, more news.

Desert Combat .4 will be released on Monday, September 15th. Some info below:

1t.jpg 5t.jpg 7t.jpg
    Whats new/changed in .4:
    • It now only takes 2 stingers to kill Helicopters
    • BMP-2 can now fire rocket from the driver position
    • Hind now has as many FAR's as the AH-64
    • Hellfire rockets now kill heavy armour effectively
    • Mobile Artillery can now destroy heavy armour easily, but the turret moves much slower adding more accuracy.
    • All new warning system in planes when diving
    • New Spec ops Smoke grenade for infantry fighting
    • New enhanced machine gun effects and tracers
    • Revised Stinger model
    The Opposition can now counter the Coalition boats with a new OSA anti ship vessel, It shoots 4 silkwork anti ship missles. The Opposition also has 3 new trucks, a standard pickup truck, a pickup truck with a recoiless rifle and a technical with a .50 cal rifle. They also get a civilian car for quick get aways. A new SA-3 Sam site allow the opposition to own the skies. It packs a quided SA-3 rocket as well as fast firing secondary rockets. In case a Coalition aircraft gets away, you need a fast high powered jet to take them down, well this dual cannon mirage should do the trick.

Desert Combat .4 also has three new maps:
    DC Weapons Bunkers featuring Search and Destroy. The coalition mission is to destory the weapons bunker, once destroyed the opposition can no longer spawn. Opposition, it's up to you to defend your base. This is a great map for teamplay. DC Medina Ridge Medina ridge also offers a new style of gameplay. It's called PUSH, you must capture the flags in a certain order. The enforces teamplay to capture one flag at a time. This is a great map and has some surprises. DC Basrahs Edge!! One of the most amazing infantry maps on the planet. This map features hundreds of new static objects to represent the streets of the Opposition. Here you can have drawn out fire fights with only infantry support vehicles and weapons. You can use civilian cars, humvees or tunnel system to move your way through this map!
    And finally, alot of weapons have been upgraded/changed so heres some information on the weapons.

All firearms have been upgraded to a new realistic damage system. Each weapon on oppossing sides are not alike, they closely match thier real world abilities. This means each side has it's advantages and disadvantages, for example...
    AKM The AKM, while not the most accurate rifle, fires a more powerful round than the M16. It has a strong but manageable recoil, firing at 650 rpm. This weapon is most effective against infantry, but has an advantage against thin skinned vehicles over the M16.

AKS-74U The AKS-74U is a significantly shortened and lightened version of the AK-74 assault rifle. It fires a light assault rifle round, fires at 800rpm, has substantial recoil due to its light weight and shortened buffer section. The AKS-74U handles better on the move than the other rifles and is quick to recover its aim, but not as well as a true submachinegun.

PKM The PKM is a powerful light machinegun and fires the strongest round of all the personal firearms at 600rpm. It is an unwieldy weapon, however, and can not hold its aim without being supported by a bipod. The PKM excels on the defense, and is effective against thin skinned vehicles as well. Best use of this weapon is in the prone position.

M16 The M16 is the most accurate automatic weapon of the game, and is easy to handle. Even with a high fire rate of 850rpm, the M16 has a light recoil and can be fired while standing with relative ease. The round fired is weaker than the AKM, however, and is less effective against vehicles.

MP5 Designed specifically for close quarters fighting, the MP5 is the best performer on the move. It maintains a good level of accuracy while standing and moving, and recoil is negligible. The weapon fires a weak 9mm round, however, which only harms troops and diminishes in damage over distance.

M249 The M249 is an excellent suppressive fire weapon, and is accurate enough to target infantry out to moderate ranges. Firing at 850 RPM and with low recoil, the M249 is able to maintain accurate fire when crouched or prone. It is still a bulky weapon, however, so does not handle well on the move and is slower to recover aim than the assault rifles. The M249 fires a light assault rifle round, so is less effective against vehicles than the PKM.

Sniper Rifles The sniper rifles fire a powerful round that will kill a man in two hits. They are perfectly accurate when fired in the prone, but handle poorly when standing and especially when moving.

Pistols The pistols are usually considered a last resort weapon, but there are situations where a pistol would be preferred over the primary weapon. They handle well on the move and are quick to recover from firing, making them a good choice in a running gunfight. Due to their light nature, however, recoil is fairly strong and the bullet does not maintain power over distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

How long do we generally have to wait before installing the update?

On another note, I'd love if they got rid of some of the radio talk when your team has lost contact of one of their bases. It gets on the nerves a little after the 50'th time or so !!!

'red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....'
    'red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....'
    'red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....''red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....''red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....''red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....''red dog red dog, casualty count is mounting.. you are ordered to reinforce immediatly....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

:) I agree.

Mainly, I'd like the Iraqis to speak in Arabic. It obviously sounds a bit odd...

There was a video released yesterday, but it's only available to Fileplanet subcribers, which I amn't. Does anyone know if it's available elsewhere?

EDIT: It's here:

http://bf1942.nucleardays.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=198&ttitle=DesertCombat_0.4_Video

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah it's a really cool video, cant wait to try out the opposition sam site,also for more links of the vid ( filemirrors ) is your friend ( dc-promo ) ;)

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I've temperoraily mirrored the full version of DC .4, i'll probally take it down later, high traffic and is services will go nutz....

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~ianoc/DC.exe

note : THIS IS FULL VERSION, rather large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

573 megs that will take a while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Originally posted by KilOit
    573 megs that will take a while :rolleyes:

12 mins to be exact at 650 KB\s sweet now if i only could get the small patch

Ohh and hi combatcow im gettin me 1meg line installed in the nxt 2 weeks so i hope to see u all on a DC server soon

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Your is services will probably want to kill me atm.

It will be available at my mirror below aswell in about....oh 5 minutes.

www.compsoc.com/~ejoyce/DC.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Originally posted by Dr4gul4
    12 mins to be exact at 650 KB\s
    what kind of connection is that T3?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

anybody got a link for the smaller 280meg patch?
    I mean not them american sites where you have to wait in line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Nope higher i think it's 2 OC3 Lines or if u want it in plane english 2 155 meg lines :D

However IBB have been good enought to tell me i can get 1meg up and 1 meg down on their residential package so in a week and a half i should have it. how ever i'll not complain with the work connection

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    I've temperoraily mirrored the full version of DC .4, i'll probally take it down later, high traffic and is services will go nutz....

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~ianoc/DC.exe

note : THIS IS FULL VERSION, rather large.

You rock... 2 Megabytes per second. Though it probably helps that I'm on the same subnet as you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

File is back down, up long enough for a good few irish mirrors....

some impressive speeds, another audit of my webspace on the way no doubt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well my friends you seem to have many links already up and running. More mirrors below.

Anyone kind enough to send me out DC .4 and EOD .2 Alpha?
    silly 56k modem :(

icon-Windows.gifDesert Combat 0.4 Full Install (573 mb)
    » http://www.extremesims.com/downloads/battlefield1942/DesertCombat_0.4J_Full_Install.exe [ extremesims.com ]
    » http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/121935.shtml [ Fileplanet ]
    » http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/modifications/desertcombat/patches/win32/DesertCombat_0.4J_Full_Install.exe [ Blueyonder ]

icon-Windows.gifDesert Combat 0.39 to 0.4 Patch (224 mb)
    » http://www.extremesims.com/downloads/battlefield1942/DesertCombat_0.4J_Patch.exe [ extremesims.com ]
    » http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/118194.shtml [ Fileplanet ]
    » http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/battlefield1942/modifications/desertcombat/patches/win32/DesertCombat_0.4J_Patch.exe [ Blueyonder ]

I'll slap them on a cd for ya,pm me ur details.;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Downloaded the full update last night and will install it when I get home. Cant wait to have a run about in it and see what the new additions are like. All I need now is a legit version which I have been promising myself for ages so I can play on more than 5 servers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

anyone wanna slip .4 and eod on a disk for lickle old me as well

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Combatcow
    I'll slap them on a cd for ya,pm me ur details.;)

CombatCow

U fancy making me a copy too, i would very much appreciate it()crappy 56k)? and i'm i sure shinzon would appreciate it to.

PLz

There is no point making several CDs of the same file(s).

What I will do is when i recieve the CD in the post from CombatCow [Or whoever] I will post here and then send it on to someone else. Its a waste otherwise. Im just gotta put the files onto my HDD and then never use the CD again so its best to send it on again and again and again :)

Or so i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

hell don't let a 56k modem stop ya
    I'm on Esat BT anytime and am nearly half way through the patch ;)

I sent out that cd today winters,you can pass it onto one to the lads or wotever.;)

CombatCow

Originally posted by Combatcow
    I sent out that cd today winters,you can pass it onto one to the lads or wotever.;)

CombatCow

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I owe a few of ye drinks at the net Beers, ;)
    ... though im not rich so dont expect too much :)

And on a bit of good DC news, Desert Combat reached over 1 million unique players. Here is what one of the DC team [SW-14, Stephen Wells] had to say about it:
    According to Csports.net, Desert Combat has had 1,010,698 unique players in the last 31 days, making it the third most-played online shooter! On behalf of the Desert Combat team, I'd like to thank everyone for giving our mod a try and supporting us.

All I can say is Yah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Good goin DC.

Im currently 47% through the download, gonna get the rest of it tonight (im only on 64k ISDN), about 11hours remaining.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any chance of someone sending me a disc too?
    Please please please,isdn and 500+ mb dont get on well together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Winters
    There is no point making several CDs of the same file(s).

What I will do is when i recieve the CD in the post from CombatCow [Or whoever] I will post here and then send it on to someone else. Its a waste otherwise. Im just gotta put the files onto my HDD and then never use the CD again so its best to send it on again and again and again :)

Or so i think.

yeah that makes sense alright. So when u recieve it if u could be so kind as to send it on to me( or shinzon) i would be much appreciated.

Got it today [Thursday] in the post this morning.

Send me a PM, one of you, and I will send it on to the next person in line. v1.45 update along with EOD 2.0 and DC .4J update is on it ... along with some other funny things :)

.... it will probably not be sent out till Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

"You've never heard of... the Millenium... FAL-con... it's fast enough... for YOU... old MAN"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dagnammit!
    After 573meg of downloading on ISDN, the bloody DC download is corrupt! That took 25hours too :(

Goin to a LAN this weekend, a lot of BF1942 players there, at least one of them should have it, coz Im defo not downloading that again.

• Advertisement

Yea, Jimeatsmenu has the CD at the moment but ill pass on your address' to him and he will send it on... and the chain CD will begin.

Advertisement