Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 yeah it's good but i won't be......

Options
  • 19-05-1999 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Gotta say i like it but its just that little bit void of tactical play that q2 offers. Its only the test so i'll play it on and of till the full game comes out.

But i won't be leaving q2 anytime soon why?. Cus i reallly think that as a game its better for clan games i love that q2 is so tactical. Wars are the best and i don't think by the layout of q3 that even the full game will come close to q2 for wars.

I may be mistaken and i hope i am but hey we'll just have to wait and see.

JM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

aren't they releasing type-specific maps (ie: TP maps, DM maps, CTF maps etc etc)

that should be interesting..and better from the "one map-all games" type thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Thats what i'am hopeing Ronin.

Just gotta get a faster Computer as well But smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Clan games and tactics errrm. You should give Tribes a go.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

You seem to forget that those Tacticl maps you play on where all released by ID after the game was out for a few months...

the same should happen with q3, it`ll be mucho teamplay...

Ro..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think we also like the idea of a bit more action than tribes
    tribes is cool, but it doesnt get the adrenaline rush going like tribes does.

honestly, placing a turret or two and then sniping from 5 clicks just isnt gonna make me sit back in sweat after a game and wonder what the **** just happened.

anyway, i still think ctf is better.
    tribes would be better if they had better weapons smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

WhiteWashMan:
    Errrm, that's like saying Quake's boring cause you're just chasing another guy around with a gun. There's much more to Tribes than placing turrets and sniping. Give it a chance (that means more than a 10 min game)and learn how it's played. If you must use a big weapon that kills someone with one hit, get into heavy armor and use the mortar gun.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 RookieWan

The basic idea on Q3a I've seen in a lot of articles is the fact that it's more or less based on the US way of thinking clangames. Q2 isn't played as teamgame in US but as a show off game for individual RG skills, ie mostly duels are played on Q2. Q1 is still the #1 clangame in the US and I think Q3a reflects that style of thinking. For instance, setting up a guard on a specific weapon in Q2, means that with the extra ammo you receive from every spawn, you can usualy stay there. In Q3a they intend to give only 1 extra ammo to the guard, as an anti-camper measure. Now in FFA one or two campers can ruin a game, but in teamstyle matches a guard/ camper can save a game.

I do hope the final version of Q3 will support the 'Euro' style of teamplay with some excellent Team DM maps.

My o.o2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Very true - Tribes is far more varied than any of the Quake games. There's SO much more to do, so many more ways to play, different roles to play.

The same level, with the same players can be a completely different experience if you change between bring a sniper, or a flag runner, a saboteur, a duelist, heavy defense, light skirmisher, heavy offense/artillery etc etc.

It's a truely truely excellent game - and neatly achieves what I believe Q3 fails to do - give new players a chance to get into the game without getting annihilated every few seconds.

I know players who are completely new to FPS game - they can barely circle-strafe, but give them shielded heavy armour, a mortar and an objective to guard and they'll cream any lightly-armoured ninja that saunters in.

Put them on a hill with a sniper rifle, and they'll take down DM gods just fine. Put them in control of the guided missile launchers and the the other team will be in serious trouble! As they improve, they'll move out in light armour, skiing around the map, grabbing flags, dueling, destroying enemy installations etc. The great thing is that there are useful roles open to players of all skill levels.

There's just so much TO Tribes. It's easily the most compelling and lasting game of this type I've ever played. Quake3 and UT, while technically polished, just aren't going to bring enough to the table.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Frantic is Goooooooddddddddd.

Hectic is gooodddddddd

Ctf isssss cccrrraaaappppppppp

HIV will never conform to the idea of CTF i tell you. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

cos q2 CTF wasnt the same

q1 ctf rooled, plain, simple, good fun smile.gif
    q2..it just didnt seem right...bah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

if they want the flag so much they can ****in have it, all we wanted was to camp the lifts like and forget poncie flags

however Q2 LMCTF was class smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ButcherOfNog (edited 20-05-99).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh god, look if we cant decide between q1 and q2 then we are NEVER going to decide between Tribes and Quake*.

Tribes is a great game and has tons of potential. Its a strategic game.
    Quake* are fps (frames per second) games.

Quake3 teamplay CANNOT be commented on because to access it you have to mess with the server in a way that ID never intended.
    All the settings are for FFA (like weapon spawn times which I like a lot for FFA).

Teamplay will be on different maps with different settings I think. But I doubt they will allow clans to lock down levels the way we used to. IMHO this is a good thing and will keep the clan scene more active since most clans will be able to fight most others, even if they get badly beaten its not the spawn-frag-spawn of e1m2.

Yes this will take some of the teamplay out of the *current* style of play, but I always thought that DM here was a little TOO easy for the bean-counters and not enough of a big scrap.

Another thing is that for the first time ever Quake is coming out of the box with a grapple hook. That means CTF.
    Ask anyone and they will tell you the best fun for team games is in CTF. Its a totally different style of play. Camping weapon locations was NEVER done in CTF.
    CTF will ROCK on q3a with the style of game it is. Getting the flag will be easier then q1 and teams will have to be quick on their toes. Frantic is how I envision it.

Just my 2p.
    DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This is a test and so all games are really based on a good ol' FFA-Mosh type of thing. I'm sure the team-play and tactical issues will make themselves more outspoken when we boil down to a final release.

Just play the test for the laugh and you'll get the most out of it. curlydav.gif

Worry about tactics when there's a final release!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Critic

Tribes is good but there are a few things wrong with it...
    1.not as exciting (as quake)the players are literally miles from each other and the weapons arent really fun.
    2.the whole team thing is great but did you ever notice how very few people ever do their part(going for the quick kills instead of putting down turrets etc.)?Also for such close teamplay (to put it to good use)you would actually have to be in direct communication with your teammates which isnt really possible although i've of this roger wilco stuff.
    3.Where's the blood!!!!nothing more satisfying in quake than a quad buckshot gib but in tribes all you get is these dry cream spunk-lumps

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

o O (Is it just me or are people comparing maps, (2) from 1 unfinished game, to compare it against a game out for over a year & a whole slew of usermade made maps.....)
    Me thinks, I'll stay outta this smile.gif

Advertisement