Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for vehicles over 10 years old

Options
  • 13-09-2003 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Now that the NCT has been operational for several years -

Why are most insurance companies still refusing to quote for vehicles over 10 years old ?

If a vehicle passes it's NCT, then insurance companies should offer cover.

They would even have to pay out less money , if such a vehicle was ever written-off in an accident !

Silvera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

eh? what u on about? lots of insured 10yrs+ old cars on the road. I'm having no problems getting insured on my 11yr old 92 prelude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

"Most" insurance companies - not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That shouldn't be an issue.

Even if a car was 4 years old, but didnt go through the NCT, it couldn't be insured.

If you find an insurance company that doesnt insure 10 y-o cars and older, even if they have an NCT, name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I was told by the AA they don't insure cars over 12 years old. Quinn Direct was double the price of AXA and Hibernian. Strange.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I am after renewing my insurance on my '89 bmw and had difficulty with many companies who just didn't want to know about a car that age.
    In the end I renewed the policy I had with Axa through the AA. As with previous years when I received the quote from them for €690 I asked was it the lowest on offer (apparently it was this time) and as the renewal notice was sent out in August (with a renewal date of Sept 10). I asked again in Sept was this the lowest. Not only was the renewal quote from Axa still the lowest but it had dropped to an even €600. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opto

If you have an exsisting policy just transfer it, They can't refuse you (running a 12 year old motor and they didn't need the NCT details).
    Brokers are normally easier to deal with as they understand the industry, online and telephone insurance services I find are only good for estimating cost of cover, my broker has always got me the cheapest/best deal.

Always play one insurance company off another to get the best deal

Just further to my post above about how I managed to get my policy down in price (with the AA), my wife tried it with them yesterday and was told that her renewal price was the lowest price available from them. I rang today and I managed to pull it down €590 to €440 - it pays to try:D

My point seems to be lost on some people here :confused:

If you buy a car that is, say, 16 years old, and has passed it's NCT, no insurance company should refuse to give you cover because of the age of the vehicle !

I know that if you have a current policy, or start a policy with, for example, a 10 year old car - and keep it for another 4-5 years, most companies will give you cover.

BUT - if you want to start a NEW policy, with an older car, most of the companies here will refuse your business.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE UK OR EUROPE - Just look at all the older cars on their roads.

(For the record - I drive a six year old car.)

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

threaten to take them to court for discrimination - ageism:D

They do it because they can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by kbannon
    They do it because they can!
    like every other way they screw you over with insurance in this country...

Insurance companies may have had good reason to refuse older cars in the past - there were a lot of wrecks on the road - but not any longer, now that the NCT is with us.

did they refuse older cars in the past though (say 4 or 5+ years ago)?

Advertisement