Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ti's and HL2 ??

• 13-09-2003 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the Ti graphics cards will be able to play HL2 , since theres no Dx9 support ?? Or will it just not perform aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will play it no bother it just won't look as good

sure gabe newell(one of the founders on Valve) said you can play hl2 with a TNT2 so i think a geforce 4 ti should do trick

i have a 4200 myself and i'm skint that i can't buy a new card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ahh thats good to hear :) , my mind is at ease now !! Was thinking as much as it would be madness to limit the ammount of customers by requiring Dx9 support as standard.

Will prob overclock like crazy and she should perform well enough for me :D .

Cheers,

Loki

well it will be playable and thats good enough for me atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Check out the stats on anandtech's HL2 performance and you'll see the Ti4600 rears it's head. With very acceptable frame rates and directx 8 shaders so it'll still look very good, but not dx9 good obviously.

sry but i can't see my card there at all at anandtech.com

geforce 4 ti4200 128mb

could u post up an exact link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Im going to be overclocking my Ti4200 128mb to around the Ti4600 level (with watercooling) so thats really goo do know :D . Do you have a link to that site ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Blank

they used the ti 4600 in the benchmark and it was to show thats it runs hl2 better (in dx 8) then the latest line of nvidia cards. Apparantly nvidia current driver sets are useless in rendering with dx9 in the Source engine and to be even playable valve had to write a code path that allows geforces to revert back to dx8.

Heres the benchmark url
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863

i've directX 9.0b on my pc atm so will that mean i'll get **** Fps than if i have directX 8.0 on?

<
    700th post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/HL2_benchmarks/002.htm

that link among shows nvidias dx9 performace vs there dx8 hardwear performance (bottom of page).

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/hl2_followup/002.htm

that one shows nvidia vs ati (ti 4600 is the onyl TI on this list but shows playable rates)

and finally

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/hl2_followup/shotdx.htm

shows the difference in visuals between dx8, dx8.1 and dx9

well anyway i'm saving up for this here

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Blank
    Apparantly nvidia current driver sets are useless in rendering with dx9 in the Source engine and to be even playable valve had to write a code path that allows geforces to revert back to dx8.

nvidia optimised there boards for a tweaked version of dx9, they didnt stick with the original things they were told, because of this vavle would have to spend extra time makeing hl2 work better on nvidia dx9 boards, ati stuck with the normal dx9 so it works a lot easier

nvidia will release a new driver soon but i doubt it will make up that ammount of fps, in one of the gamersdepot benchmarks ati finisiehd 5mins ahead of the nvidia machine, and the nvidia one had a started few minutes before the ati one
    Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i've directX 9.0b on my pc atm so will that mean i'll get **** Fps than if i have directX 8.0 on?

im not really sure, i have a ti4800, and im running dx9.0b atm, iv also orderd a new comp which is coming with a fs 5200 (my cards better but its got dx9 support) so im gonna run some tests in dx8 dx8.1 and dx9 in both cards and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Here's a nice single page version of anandtech HL2 preview and benchies ti4600 results on pages 8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    No, the game will run in DX8 mode to suit your card. The DX9.0b drivers include complete instructions for DX8,7,6 etc...

oh yeah i had forgotten valve have done that, make things a bit simpler

what will be a playable frame rate i havn't a clue cos atm i only play CS and i get a 100fps in that so i don't know what other games are like

basically what is the lowest playable framerate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

A constant 30+fps should be fine. You should really only notice jerkiness below 20fps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you can keep the framerate capped at 30fps without it dropping below, it will look fine at 60hz, 90hz and 120hz.

Advertisement