Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

• 13-09-2003 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

I already have one of these harddrives, a lite on cd burner, a toshiba dvd, creative geforce 4200 and a thermaltake xaser III case. Im planning on buy this lot from komplett:
    athlon xp2500+
    cooler master aero 7+
    Abit NF7 V2.0
    2 X Corsair Value S. PC2700 DDR-DIMM 256MB
    Will these parts work well together? any other suggestions for a mainboard? any advice would be great.
    Ill be using it mainly for games and the internet, maybe some overclocking.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

callan all of them parts will work together no problem at all

btw the nf-7 is the best AMD board in my opinon good luck in your upgrade.

let me guess the reason for upgrade is half-life2 ???

your not only if it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

As Cr3m0 said them parts will be perfect.

And id definetly agree about the NF7 being prob the best AMD boards you can get (great for overclocking).

Might advise you to go for Pc3200 ram if your going to overclock, the performance is worth it. Your board will do 200mhz FSB (400mhz when double pumped) no probs, and you will prob get your barton to do Xp3200+ (200mhz FSB x 11) ish with that rig. Prob more if your willing to push the Vcore past 1.7v .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Might advise you to go for Pc3200 ram if your going to overclock, the performance is worth it.

Yeah would strongly advice this also. Costs only a fraction more than PC2700. Rest of the rig seems well capable of going near or even reaching 200FSB :)

If I were U, I'd also get 2*512 rather than 2*256 if you can half afford it, but hey, that's another well over 100 yoyo's ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Yea. As COL said. I got 3200XP+ from my 2500XP+ with PC3700 2 x 256 dual ddr ram, using that same Coolermaster fan. 200 x 11.

With that heatsink/fan on full throttle, and the case closed (standard case with no fans) the chip can reach 61 degrees. Should be fine with that Thermaltake case though.

I've mine underclocked (well, clocked down) to 3000XP+ until I get intake and outtake fans on my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need to underclock conZ - if CPU temp is below 80C under load it's grand (Athlon XP only - does not apply to Intel). Just make sure your bios halts when 90C is reached. My arguments are invalid if you want your CPU to live for 5-10 years but who does these days? Keeping it below 80C should give it several years of life and your rig the chance to run at optimal speeds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Thanks for the advice!
    A few more questions:

Is it worth the extra money to get the NF7-S V2.0 instead of the NF7 V2.0?

Is there any difference in the brands of ram komplett have for sale? I only have about €350 to spend.

Are there any extra costs apart from delivery charges with komplett?

Ive never bought from komplett before would you reccommend them or is there any other shops/sites I should have a look at?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've just ordered the following bits from komplett:

SKU 117213 - Abit NF7-S V2.0
    SKU 116245 - AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz
    2 x SKU 113517 - TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2.5 (dual ddr goodness)
    SKU 119402 - Spire CPU-Fan WhisperRock IV (Cheap and quiet-ish)

Total including delivery and VAT = 480 euros.

I have a few its to add to it here from my old rig, namely:

MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200/64MB
    IBM Deskstar 40gig 7200 RPM HD
    Maxtor 120gig 5400 RPM HD
    NEC 16x DVD Rom
    Asus CRW4012A CD/RW (40x12x48)
    Floppy drive (leet)
    Cheapo tekram scsi card and elderly scsi zip drive
    cheapo winmodem
    Linksys LNE100TX ethernet card - although the board has onboard lan anyway
    Dodgy purple and silver cheap arse case with 300W power supply (Has served me well for the last year and a half)
    D-Link DBT120 Bluetooth adaptor
    Sony P991 19" trinitron monitor

Should make a nice system I think :)

Is it worth the extra money to get the NF7-S V2.0 instead of the NF7 V2.0?

The only difference is the NF7-S supports SATA , if your going to be using standard hard drives then there is no point in going for the NF7-S. There is no other difference, so prob the NF7 is the best.
    Are there any extra costs apart from delivery charges with komplett?

Nope, thats it. They charge you the irish vat and delivery is the only extra.
    Ive never bought from komplett before would you reccommend them or is there any other shops/sites I should have a look at?

They're a fav around here. Great prices & service, you cant go too far wrong.

For ram you could try http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/memory/ddr-ram-pc3200.asp, there based in kildare , free delivery and they have very good ram at low prices. OCZ , Mushkin , Geil are all performance brands and excellent quality.
    265 euro's will get you 1gb (2x512mb , dual DDR) of Geil performance ram, they come with heatsinks. Have Geil ram myself and im very vey happy with it (bought from the same place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Callan, I'm going to be buying almost the exact same parts as yourself. I disagree with COL_LOKI and would advise going for the NF7-S V2.0 instead of the NF7 v2.0 because:

1) its on offer and is less that €15 more expensive.
    2) You get Firewire support.
    3) It has the MCP-T2 chip which gives Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound decoding so no need for a new sound card.
    4) see point 1!

Contrary to what i said before ,since its on special offer id have to agree, it used to be a €30 euro in the difference .

• Advertisement
Advertisement