Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing an adsl USB modem with a pc and a mac.

• 13-09-2003 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Heya, I have a badass Athlon XP machine with Windows XP installed and my mam has a sucky I-Book with Mac OS 9 installed.
    I already have a 10/100 network card on mine, and she has USB ports on hers so the cards shouldn't be a problem.
    What is a problem however is we're getting adsl soon and we both want to use it, so I proposed I set up my old machine in the hall with a hub and we can share the connection and maybe even a printer.
    Now, is this possible to do? What OS am I going to have to install onto my old machine to get it work with both Windows XP and Mac OS 9.
    I've never done anything involving networking before so be patient if I don't grasp what you're saying at once.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Check out the offerings from Draytek . Their kit should have a solution for you. I've used their kit in the past and it is solid.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hey Cal, nice site. I think this would be great for what I want to do: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2200usb.html

But out of curiosity, does anyone know what modem Esat/BT ADSL (the EU50 a month) offer? Hence is it on this supported modems list?
    Also, I didn't see any RRPs on the page, think that router is expensive? =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you've already got an old pc and a hub then you've got everything you need except for a modem. The pc can act as a router. Depending on the age of the pc, it may not have any usb ports tho, so you may need to buy an ethernet modem. They're better anyway. As for OS, any recent version of windows you have lying around will do, but there are linux distros such as Smoothwall and IPCop that are designed just for such a task as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yep, I have an old pc, just no hub.
    I don't like the idea of having it on all day though, sounds like a waste of electricity, then again the router is the same idea... but more compact :P
    I want to get this Vigor2200 USB now. Just want to make sure it's going to work with Esat/BT/IOL (God knows what the hell they're called these days) ADSL modem.
    I'll e-mail them about it :)

Advertisement