Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new rig please?

• 14-09-2003 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Ok i've my old computer about 2 years now so its time for a change and this is what i've come up with so far...

119062 Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 128MB DDR

117213 Abit NF7-S V2.0 mainboard Socket A S-ATA

116590 AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus

116451 Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL3 5ns
    - Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 32Meg x 64 (x2)

119229 LG CD-burner IDE 52x/24x/52x black

119228 LG DVD-player IDE 16x/48x black, Bulk

108596 Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Blue
    - Case w/360W power, w/USB&Firewire (UK)

117680 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB S-ATA
    - S-ATA/150, harddisk 8MB cach

I already have my own keyboard,mouse and monitor and i want to know

1. What would be the best most silent heatsink/fan to get?

2. Can you see any probs with this setup?

I'll be using it for playing games across a small lan, watching movies, listening to music, doing college work and general messing about!

also i like to overclock a small bit....

cheers

Farlz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

ur rig is fine if ur think of upgardin that theres really no point as u will be paying big bucks for not that big an increase ur 2500xp is great for oc i know ppl who have got it to 3200xp so *** i cant c wot u need to change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

emm the fan/heatsink that comes with the processor is grand, quiet enough. you shouldn't really have probs with it soundwise.
    personally i'd buy a couple of case fans to go with it. 3/4 should do ya. My friends case is nice and quiet with 3 fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as i've said on this forum before the abit nf-7 motherboard u can't beat it

and i'm a P4 man

good luck with the upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gonna bring up the age old debate again..

Why are you going for an Athlon, the P4 wipes the floor with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Because it's cheaper, the motherboard for it is great.

Try some Twinmos Ram, might be cheaper, but it's definatly better value. 115490

There also an onboard kit with similar specs (ram is not as good), might work out cheaper still. 115294

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I have the 2500XP+ running at 3200XP+ on a Coolermaster Aero 7 v+, with case open at around 45 - 54 degrees. With the cover on the case, It can go up to 61 degrees.

I have mine downclocked to 3000XP+ atm, until I get an intake and outtake case fan's. When they come, I should be able to run it at 3200XP+ smoothly.

I'm running the Epox Ep-8RDA3+ motherboard with 2 x 256mb Twinmos dual ddr PC3700 sticks by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

PC3700 = Madskillz
    Most ppl get AMD because they are miles cheaper the only thing against them it the dont overclock that much compared with the P4 which can be overclocked by a 1/3 my friend has his P4 1.8(fsb 533)
    >2.6 and thats on standard coolin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls,

That's a great setup. Personally I'd go 2*512MB. Don't fully agree with the AMD stock HS+Fan though. It will be grand, but I'd go for a good value 92mm fan on top of a decent HS. That will run at 1000 to 2000 rpm's less than stock AMD Fan reducing noise accordingly. No need to spend megabucks here as your intentions are not geared towards serious overclocking (choice of case - no mention of watercooling etc)

Best of luck with system build m8 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Gonna bring up the age old debate again..

Why are you going for an Athlon, the P4 wipes the floor with it.

ppl go for athlon cos they are way cheaper and plus there is really no need for a P4 3.2 ghz (fastest stock speed chip by intel) at this moment in time.

athlons are great and if i was on a budget i'd would use them in a system but since i wasn't on a budget while upgrading i went for the full whack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

dont buy a new machine yet....

give it time...

The hammer is apon us.

wait for it, you will make girls wet their panties and mother lock them up for it!

ill be selling this 2.6 AMD just so i can get it. BRING IT ON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I've ordered said parts now so i'm wondering what kind of case is advised?

I was thinking a chieftech midi tower with a 360watt psu

wots the opinions on this i'll go €150 on the case

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

conZ what setting you have your motherboard at to overclock to that speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I was thinking that myself, What are 3200+ at stock? cause i currently have my 2600+ (terrible for oc'ing) which is 2083mhz at stock running at 2550 mhz so what does that work out as in relation to the XP rating? *** im still pissed at AMD for using that ploy like Nvidia did with the old Ge4 and MX's and Ti 4800's its false advertising.... well nearly.....
    Dev

Advertisement