Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema Surround Sound

Options
  • 14-09-2003 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at sourround sound systems - want a good solid mid-range.

settling for the sony DDW750 at 499 (stands seperate at €60 for a pair)

Anyone got any views on wheather I'm going for the right one?

Thks

Buzz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

it all depends what are you looking for......
    I had the top of the range set of speakers from Sony (the pascal series) and they were crap, well, I mean that for that money I could get at least a pair of real speakers and then add to that rear, center and sub.

Try to compare to buying a car. If all you are looking for is something to take you from A to B, then a Fiat 500 will do the job, but if you want something that you'll enjoy as well....you get the point.

If you'd like more specific advice (models, alternatives, etc.) look for the forum in my signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

thks for that - I am willing to spend around €500-€799 and have the dvd already.

Buzz

see private message !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Do not buy separates for that price range. Go for the Sony DAVS550 or similar (all in one box). Will give much better sound than what you will pick up in separates (for your price range). Also buy whathifi magazine.

FYI, imo for separetes you need to spend at least:

Amp: €500
    Speakers: €600 - €1,000 (go for a speaker package if possible like the mission series. All will be "tonally" matched).

Any budget below that you would be better off go for an all in one package (DAVS550).

have to disagree with Daveg !
    All the "all in one" systems are crap . period.
    You can allways get better value with buying seperates and especially second hand stuff.

Physics are physics - you can't make proper sound from those tiny little yogurt boxes they call speakers...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MartinHSabag
    have top disagree with Daveg !
    All the "all in one" systems are crap . period.
    You can allways get better value with buying seperates and especially second hand stuff.

Physics are physics - you can't make proper sound from those tiny little yogurt boxes they call speakers...

I have to disagree back. The DAVS550 sounds fantastic. I agree seperates sound a lot better than an all in 1 box but when the guy is only spending €500 - €799 he is better sticking to an all in 1 system.

What about the KEF KHT2005 ? whathifi overall winners in midrange price section. What about the Bose Acoustimass systems?

You cannot genralise and say small = poor sound quality.

First fo all, the only sattelite set of speakers I would put in my room (bed room, not my HT set-up) would be the KEF system, they are the only ones that sound bigger then they are.

Regarding Bose systems, I can't believe you even mentioned them, they are the worst systems and any Creative setup walk over them.
    Try to find any measurement of them on the web.......Bose are only good at one thing: marketing !
    They put a tag price on it as if it was a hi-end when they actualy are crap.
    I don't know what your reference is, but as an ex-owner of a Sony Sattelite system (with a good Rceiver) and comparing it to real speakers, there is nothing to compare.

For his budget I would recommend a cheap receiver (250-350 Euros) and for the rest of his budget to get a pair of real speakers. add to that a couple of any speakers he has at home (from an old mini or something) as rears - and he can start to enjoy surround.
    Then with a bit of saving he can add a sub-woofer.

The biggest problem with the all in one systems is that you grow up from them very quickly and get bored from them - and then you CANN'T upgrade anything - their value as second hand is worthless, as suppose to a good stereo system ( I guess he listens to music as well) and then add to that when he can/wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Well its all a bit pointless arguing over this if you don't know the size of the destination room.

For a pretty small room less than 10'x10' or thereabouts, theres absolutely no need for a large speaker package, smaller satellites will fill the room more than adequately, and you don't have much hassle regards placement, furniture re-arranging etc. etc.

As far as the Bose Acoustimass system goes, I've heard it in a typical sitting room-setting, and they fill the room quite adequately for movies, are very poor in stereo (due to the way the drivers are split at different angles) and well over-priced imo.

monitor speakers won't take much more space than sattelites.....I wasn't talking about floorstanders.

It's not about "filling" the room, but how they fill it (tonaly, quality, not just quantity....)

• Advertisement

First fo all, the only sattelite set of speakers I would put in my room (bed room, not my HT set-up) would be the KEF system.....

Point taken on the Bose speakers. However I still say that because the speakers are small doesn't mean you will not get high quality. Another set to add to the Kef's are the B&W VM1/AS1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE. Another Whathifi winner in the midrange price bracket, or the MISSION FS2AV NXT HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE. I rest my case.

In principle I agree with you - Separetes do give higher quality (I myself have the Marantz SR6200 & Mission cinema 9) than an all in 1 box but (imo) not on a budget of €700.

Also I disagree with your upgrading advice:
    The biggest problem with the all in one systems is that you grow up from them very quickly and get bored from them - and then you CANN'T upgrade anything - their value as second hand is worthless, as suppose to a good stereo system ( I guess he listens to music as well) and then add to that when he can/wants.

If he buy's a low grade/spec amp for €250/€300 and a set of speakers with the remainder of his budget (€500 MAX) then I am 100% sure the resale value on this will be much less than an all in 1 system like the DAVS-550. Also he will find it a hell of a lot easier selling the DAVS.

deleted

Edited due to mixup.

Hey Dave...no no no, sorry I didn't mean that in that way.
    What I mean is that the "All in one systems" might have better re-sale value because more people buy them (not because they are better, just because they are more "friendly" have a better WAF and are very very cheap.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, didn't meant that at all.
    I'll delete that post right away.

BTW, I don't work for Cloney, just volunteraly manage their forum.

Hey Dave...no no no, sorry I didn't mean that in that way.
    What I mean is that the "All in one systems" might have better re-sale value because more people buy them (not because they are better, just because they are more "friendly" have a better WAF and are very very cheap.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, didn't meant that at all.
    I'll delete that post right away.

BTW, I don't work for Cloney, just volunteraly manage their forum.

Ahh.... no problem :)

Hey Dave
    Why don't you join that forum ? your opinions will be appreciated !

Hey Dave
    Why don't you join that forum ? your opinions will be appreciated !

will do.

Thanks for all the help - DavG, your advice sounds spot on and you have spoken about my set-up exactly - I don't want to go over €700, and that includes the stands. Thks for those links.

Way I figure - I can put on better speakers later on.

Martin - If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - then it is a duck - and your a salesman for clooney - nothing wrong with that, just be more honest with people.

cheers
    Buzz

Hi Buzz
    As I said before I don't work for Cloney (I wish I did), it's only a hobby for me.
    All I wanted is to help, it not necessarily mean that you have to buy from Cloney - not at all.
    If I know Cloney as I think I do, the last thing they would ever want is to "push" you to buy something you don't need or want.

I agree with you on the duck thing, all I wanted to stress is that in my opinion you can get better value for the same budget.

Anyway, good luck and please come back to tell us how it turned out.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

How about the Sony DAVS-880?

I think they are fantastic. Havent heard much better than them anywhere near the price range involved. Paid 950 euro.

• Advertisement

Fairenoughski - thks for taking the time to give me the info

Buzz

The one I'm looking at is the Sony HTDDW750 - for €499 in both Peats and Harvey Norman (Swords) + €60 for each pair of speakers.

What do yous think?

Buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Two other options to think about:

ToOption 1: 5 minutes spent on www.buyandsell.net

Sony STRDE475 Receiver
    Philips 711 DVD Player
    JPW ML510 Fronts
    Atacama Speaker Stands
    Mission 701C Centre
    Philips Rears
    Wharfdale Sub 100W

Total price €670 (before haggling for discounts - also probably comes with no leads so budget up to €100 for some average quality cable)

Option 2: 5 minutes spent on www.richersounds.ie

Pioneer VSXC100 Receiver
    Fusion 811 DVD Player
    Pioneer SV50 Speaker pack (100W/speaker)

Total price €757.

I would be confident in saying that both of these systems would outperform a Sony DAVS 500 regardless of room size and type of music/movies listened to.

What do you think? What does Martin think?

two thums up for the first set Robbie.
    As for the second one, I'm not a big fond of Pioneer Speakers...:rolleyes:

The first one is a great value for money and will kill any "all in one" system.

BTW, Robbie, please join the other forum, it looks like you know your stuff....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I completely agree that he can afford separates at that price range. A max budget of €799 will easily cover a decent amp/receiver and five speakers. (note he said he has the DVD already)

www.hificomponents.de or www.richersounds.ie start at around €200 for receivers.

Bottom line, however, is to audition whatever you are considering and make up your mind based on that. See how it sounds with what you like to listen to (e.g. are you going to be listening to music or is it just for films). You can then weigh up the prices between buying online or in Ireland.

Geez - this is complicated - but seriously thanks for the help and info

Buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Buzz,

It's not that complicated. Your ears can be the final judge, and you really should listen carefully before you buy. You could actually post some more information about what your listening tastes are, however - if you want a system only for movies, that is a different situation to if you want a system that is also good for music. Some systems are better at one than the other.

BTW the Sony amp from Buy & Sell is gone, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

bUZZ,

I think what martin is saying is something to consider and it works a bit like this...

if you have 800 smackers -- yuo can spend it on an all in one package and yes you are ready to rock..right off..and to be honest they look cool....

the problem comes later -- about a year or so. suddenly you find your self looking for a little bit extra and then when the differences between all in 1 and seperates start.

with seperates you buy chunks, i wont say a bit here and there but chunks...i.e. a set of front speakers, or a set of rears, or a new amp...(actually i like that word chunk...) I have built mine over 6 years. the one thing to remember is HIFI mags and shops and these boards are the CRACK sellers to school kids...its always just a little bit more and then i will be fine !!!! :)

:p:p:p

so what happens is seperates cost more initially but save later on, full systems save initially but cost more later on as in if you want to change a bit you wind up changing nearly the whole thing. well that in my experience anyway.

So if you want my recommendation, you should consider the seperates but you will have some drawbacks. you will have to throw up some more cash i think now. as Martin said, clooney (and no i dont work for them either) is a good spot..they dont oversell but you will need more then 800 i think.

if you really only have 800 then i think your idea of second hand is a good place...

also i have B&W speakers and i think they are fecking excellent but its in the ears of the beholder, i dont care what some hifi magazine think, i like it and it suits me. The problem i find with a lot of hifi mags is they will give you a direction (and they are woth a review on the web) but i have bouught some complete clangers going on star ratings that did not suit me...

you make your choice, listen to it in your setting and if its good for you -- then you have yer answer.

and hey invite us all over for the first movie....

good luck to ya, and let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

where is the Cloney forum ?

• Advertisement

See private msg.

Advertisement