Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De la Hoya robbed !!!

• 14-09-2003 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

we'll theres no doubt in my mind who won that fight and it wasnt shane mosley. the judgeing in boxing just isnt good enough and in my mind there definetly are some people being paid off. Oh well lets just hope theres a rematch because that as the last 1 was some fight .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i agree. Mosely knows he was beaten and behind that smile De La Hoya was really pissed off. a rematch is a must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Judging isnt good enough?

It was a disgrace. They were either high as kites or paid off. Nothing would surprise me in Vegas. De la Hoya was clearly the winner and anyone watching could see he was the better and more intelligent fighter.

He should try to get the rematch on but stay away from Nevada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

what about this for an idea..

Score it like olympic boxing, where the scores are shown all the time, and are given for direct punches..

that way someone cant just waffle, they have to just hit a button when they see a chean punch..

De La Hoya is not getting any younger tho is he..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I watched the whole fight and when the bell in the 12th round rang, I was so fooked tired that I didn't bother to wait for the result as I was 100% sure that De La Hoya had won.
    I couldn't believe the result when I saw it on Sunday afternoon, an out and out disgrace! It was a good fight though as was the last time they met, and hopefully they will meet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    De La Hoya is not getting any younger tho is he..

De La Hoya - 30
    Mosley - 32

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Interesting article from George Kimball in today's Irish Times on this very subject.

Key point he makes is:

'I wasn't in Las Vegas for Mosley-De La Hoya, but since several of my colleagues asked my opinion, I sat down two nights later and watched the tape. Unlike most who had endured the live broadcast, I made a conscious attempt to ignore the commentary of Jim Lampley, Larry Merchant and George Foreman and to concentrate instead on what I was seeing.

My calculations produced precisely the same verdict - 115-113 for Mosley - that each of the judges had returned. While it's somewhat maddening to come down with the same score as Hongtongkam, a notably bad judge, it was somewhat comforting to agree with Christodoulou and Ford, two very good ones.'

Moral of the story appears to be: Don't listen to the commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

actually the moral of this story is dont fight on the back foot if ur fighting in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Much of the discourse I've seen on other boards relates to how De La Hoya has only himself to blame....this comes from particularly American people. They recognise that he probably won the fight, but have little sympathy for him because of the manner he went about it. It was a poor fight, no doubt. I don't buy the line that Mosley got the decision because he came forward more...coming forward is fine and should be rewarded but only if it is combined with actual success. Mosley barely connected all night, plodding around after a light-footed DLH making a grim spectacle.

I don't buy this no-commentary line either. You know if a commentator is calling it right or not, commentators can't make punches landed just disappear, and they can't make punches that missed rock a guys head back. If it was all down to the commentators, then why were Mosley's corner basically telling him he was behind and had to pick it up? Why did Mosley look about as hopeful as someone heading to the gallows while awaiting the decision? Don't talk to me about psychology bollox either :) Apparently he told DLH that he thought he had a draw...so I guess he must have been listening to the commentators a little bit too.

Anyway, bottom line: It was a crap fight, and a crap decision. Neither are very rare in boxing, so just add them to the list. I haven't been very entertained by DLH's last couple of fights, they've made me appreciate Barrera/Morales/Mayorga more than ever though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

boxing fan's make note ricky {the HITMAN } Hatton is fighting this saturday and floyd (disapoints every fight ) Maywether is fighting soon too. If any1 knows any good fights coming up please post .

Advertisement