Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice...

• 14-09-2003 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Right, my uncle has an old P2 350MHz, 64Mb RAM crap PC running WinME and has decided to upgrade to a P4 2.4GHz 256Mb decent enough PC.

Well the problem that we have is we still want to use the old HDD as it was upgraded a few months ago and is a 40GB 7200rpm but want to upgrade to WinXP Home but he has a program on it called HerdMaster which he uses for farming but has no CD-ROM for.

Is it possible to save HerdMaster in some way so that it could be installed onto WinXP?? We can back up the files easy but how about the program?? We have no room for error on this one!!

Any advice would be great!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well you could do it this way, if you have access to a burner copy the folder C:\program files\heardmaster (guessing that's where it is) and all the contents, don't delete it yet!!! burn the folder onto a cd and test it on a win2000 or winxp machine see if it will run. if you don't have access to a burner you can partition the hard drive to allow an area for storage, so when you install xp onto the C: partiton. and the data on the newly formed d: partiton is safe. If you don't want to write over what data you have you could possably get a windows xp update package. i know they exist for updating windows 95/98/nt up to win2000, google it for windows xp. and finally google the program to see if it's win xp compatable, i'd more than likely say it is, unless it installs dll's and files all over the os, but that's doubtful.
    gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

Thanks Bob_BoT, I'll have the HDD tomorrow and will try some of that. We're getting the system from www.jaguarcompsys.ie and they will only send it with an OEM WinXP and won't ship an upgrade package...

I have access to a burner so i'll try copying the program files. I'm sure I tried something like that before and f*cked it up but here goes... Thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by aclane
    they will only send it with an OEM WinXP and won't ship an upgrade package...

You should be able to use that CD to upgrade from ME to XP home and keep all your settings and programs. Make sure you have it backed up just in case :)

Right I got the HDD today and put it into on of my own machines and I'm up sh*ts creak again.

When I boot it up it just shows the backround and curser. The HDD led is on. Left it for ages and still no change. HELP:confused:

Oh, I pressed ctrl+alt+del and its saying that Msqsrv32 is Not responding....

are you booting from the winMe hard disk ? if so do this, place the hard drive with one of your own hard drives with an os installed. place the uncles hard drive on secondary and have your own as the primary. when you boot to windows "on your own hard drive" your uncles hard drive should be recognised, copy what you need backed up. if you're running xp/2000 try running the heardmaster program on your machine to test that. Secondly if you are talking about the winME hard disk " Msqsrv32 " is needed to boot iirc. windows could be corrupt :P, so if you need to format once you have the data backed up!

Anymore help, or if i have understood something wrong type back :)

Rob

• Advertisement

Nice one BoB_BoT...

Did that, but now while in the BIOS settings I went to the option to detect the HDDs, pressed AUTO and it's stalled and just says "waiting for HDD detect" and stays that way...

Seems to be one problem after another:(

unplug your cd rom drive, use that ide cable on the second hard disk (set your second hard drive to primary now), go back to your bios hit auto detect and you shouldn't stall, otherwise the hard drive is showing signs of buggery/death, hopefully it's not.

Just did that. It fine now and in the process of coping..

BoB_BoT your a star, thanks:)

no probs
    i'd format that drive with ME asap
    *shudders* ugh winME *shudders*
    :p

I'm thinking of doing what unkel said. I'll still have a backup if it does go pear shaped. What u think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah like BoB_BoT said: loose ME ;)

Advertisement