Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help I'm **** at this

Options
  • 14-09-2003 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

okay i'm really bad at computers and i feel really left out because eveyone else has this groovy little picture under there name how do i get one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Go to your user cp (top right)and Edit Options. The avatar section is at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by charlene
    okay i'm really bad at computers and i feel really left out because eveyone else has this groovy little picture under there name how do i get one.

Ah you poor little girlie, can you not get Daddy to help you :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 charlene

nice one, now i have my pic and no i can't get daddy to help because daddy lives to far away and hasn't got the foggiest clue about computers at last i'm trying

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was just teasing..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

your such a nice guy! ;)

• Advertisement

yeah It's cool some day i won't need to ask anybody anything i'll no everything........................................................................................................................................................................................................Yeah right that will be the day

ok and can you download your own avatar or can you only use the ones that are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I think Sloth had a thread about custom avatars once hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Only if you're willing to pay a fiver a month.

Go to the Newbie FAQ forum.

how do i get to the newbie FAQ forum you have to realise i'm really really really bad at this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

use the "Admin" drop down menu at the top of the page, then click on newbie faq.

you should have a good root through all the menu's, there are sure to be plenty forums that you'll find interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

You navigate around Boards.ie by using the drop-down menus at the top of every page. Boards.ie is divided into sections for each grouping of forums. For instance Admin is a grouping of forums related to the running of Boards.ie, if you move your mouse cursor over the Admin part of the menu at the top of the page it will expand to show you the forums in that section. You can then just click on the forum you want to go to and you will be taken there.

Newbie FAQ (that's Frequently Asked Questions) in the Admin section would be the handiest board for you right now. Before you ask a question on there have a look around to see if the question has been asked (and answered) before. There's a "Search This Forum" text area at the bottom of each forum page that might help you find what you're looking for.

A lot of newbies just post in either After Hours or Newbie FAQ no matter what their post is about. Don't do that please. If you have a Newbie question it should go in the Newbie FAQ, programming posts go in the Programming board, Film posts go in the Film board... you get the idea.

You can configure the different aspects of your account by using the UserCP (User Control Panel). The link to the UserCP can be found in the links under the ad at the top right of every page.

The key to getting to know boards is to look around and read. The key to getting better at computers is to use them more and more but most importantly to read what's on the screen. Don't just assume you're lost and it's hopeless if you can't get something to work. Error messages, while scary, often provide useful information as to what the problem is. I can tell you most computer newbies I know just call me over as soon as something pops up on the screen, as if just reading the message requires some skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Was just teasing..
    You could cut the sexual tension with a knife....

Originally posted by charlene
    ok and can you download your own avatar or can you only use the ones that are there
    It's called uploading actually....

aren't you the same person who posted that they were homeless and whos friends robbed stuff?

Funny how you have time to worry about avatars :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

hmmmm... i have the feelin that you arent infact a n00b and you are testing the kindness of other boards users... apologies if im wrong *

are the corpo doin computers for hobos now??

* im quite drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

you know its at times like this that i actually like workin night shifts!! you get to read all the drunken posts on boards (oooooo yea i been there before too)

this is for all the alcho's out there in boards land thanks guys you make my night shift so much more entertaining id go mad in here in my small room if it wasnt for you guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

hey... i can drandle my hink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

touche good sir ;)

still there's nothing like getting in from a serious session at the pub and posting random thoughts on boards late at night eh?

sorry this was slighty off topic i'll shutup now and go back to work! :D

Utility I'm not one to judge people but you seem to be a dick head ok. I have plenty of time to worry about avatars seems that I have nothing else to do all day long but sit around and think.

And soundwave I'm not testing anyones kindness I'm genuinely homelless and your smart remark on the corporation was no where near funny. As I have already explained I have access to a computer everyday between 10:30 and 7:30. In The Loft which is a day centre for homeless teenagers to come and shower, eat, watch T.V or use the computers. Which is run by Focus ireland I can give you a phone number to ring if you would like to check it up.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Check out the title guys, this isn't a flame forum, it's a form of community technical support that works quite well thanks to the people who put some time into it and because the forum appears approachable and helpful.

On that note, I'm locking this thread on the assumption that charlene's question was answered, and asking that someone remind me to gather together posts like Puck's there into an actual sticky FAQ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement