Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying LCD TV in Hong Kong

Options
  • 14-09-2003 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anybody knows if i can get a lcd tv in hong kong that will work in ireland.

i have seen them on sale in power city for about €899 and more. so i know they exist but what spec should i look for.

any advice from anyone appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

most LCD monitors (as their name suggests) are monitors and not full function TVs. i.e. they don't have a tuner built in, and even if they do and they are not multi system you can always hook them to a Digital Cable decoder or satellite digi-box with a better connection like RGB or S-Video.
    The sound you can then connect directly to the A/V receiver.

I don't thing there is a problem. What about customs ?

don't forget to register to the new Hi-Fi & Home Theater forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

well i am hoping for one with co-ax input. so i believe it must accept uhf and vhf. about customs i hope they don't catch me !!!

Then I don't see the point.....
    Coaxial input (RF) is the lowest possible quality availiable for Video.
    What size are we talking about anyway ? if you are planning to avoid customs then I guess it is something small (15-21") so you can put it in your suitcase, however - note this - these monitors are SUPER delicate and a little drop might break them (I guess you know we are talking about two pieces of glass with liquid in between.....).
    I think, in my opinion that it's not worth it.

Anyhow, if you need a tuner built in (any VCR you have at home will do the job anyway) just make sure it's a true multi-system - all PALs supported (PAL-I, PAL-M, PAL-B. PAL-N is not really important).

God luck....

hoping to get a 17". gonna see what the prices are like before i decide. thanks for the advice. i need the coax input because i want to watch all channels going around our house through coax. i haven no other option.

thanks for the advice. might look into the vcr option for the tuner.

regards

I might be able to help you with a discount on a new LCD TV here in Ireland if you want.
    So you can compare prices and benefit a proper warranty/service/upgrades/trade ins...

Let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrownBoy

sikes,

u can also think of buying a LCD monitor and a standalone TV tuner which will let u use the LCD monitor as TV. U can find one a below URL.

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=71989

thanks very much brownboy. might see if i can pick one of these things up in HK.

thanks for all your help.

Advertisement