Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new drink laws

Options
  • 14-09-2003 6:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I asked a similar question before about the new bill on alcohol sales, but theres just one think i need to clear up.

I was told that you can sell a drink at a discount price but only if you do so from the time the bar opens that day..

my question is, is it possible to have, lets just say 'Dutch Piss' on sale at €1 a pint, but refuse to sell it until later.... so that it is at the price but just not available first thing?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I would imagine that you'd need a lawyer to answer that, but my gut feeling is that even if technically permissable through a loophole, it would end up in a precedent-setting case where you'd get told "No".

jc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well ok, that makes sense, but what about this, does the ban on discounts apply to premesis, or individual bars?

for example, lets say a premesis has 2 bars, ie a ground floor one and a bar downstairs.
    Now the premesis opens at, say 1PM, but the downstairs bar is shut until 10, as its a nightclub. can different (lower) prices be set for the downstairs bar than the ground floor, or it could be that the downstairs bar sells a cheap brand that isnt stocked in the ground floor bar, as is often the case.

would this be a valid loophole?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by flogen
    well ok, that makes sense, but what about this, does the ban on discounts apply to premesis, or individual bars?

for example, lets say a premesis has 2 bars, ie a ground floor one and a bar downstairs.
    Now the premesis opens at, say 1PM, but the downstairs bar is shut until 10, as its a nightclub. can different (lower) prices be set for the downstairs bar than the ground floor, or it could be that the downstairs bar sells a cheap brand that isnt stocked in the ground floor bar, as is often the case.
    I'd say it depends on licences. If both bars have different licences then it may be possible but I'd imagine it's the same licence in most, if not all, cases.

Also, do these new laws stop clubs from upping the price during the night?? i.e. in a normal club, prices will go up after roughly 11 o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i mentioned this in another thread and see no reason it cant work. have huzzar vodka on your list but it wont arrive till 8pm and runs out at 9pm. even if it is downstairs in the cellar i dont think they legally have to offer it for sale, i have often been told they are too busy to change a keg and so offer other beers instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They could advertise the vodka and not sell it to you claiming it is only invitation to treat, i.e. not a binding offer/contract, so they are not entitled to sell.

I think this would be too much effort to a bar though and would risk possible legal action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Completly off-topic but Sangre are you actually 12 years old or s there another reason why you have such an incredibly sad signature?
    I mean there's absolutely no point in making a valid point only for your sig to drag any words you've said through a pile of ****e :)

Advertisement