Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is society as screwed as it's construed to be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yeah, but it makes one feel like they are doing something to change the world. if everyone (well, not everyone) did this, standards and expectations would be naturally raised and people like me would feel like they're cruel and heartless so they'd do more to help the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

well im glad it makes people feel good. everyone should be allowed to feel good. or else life wouldn't be worth living. but if people want to change something, complaining is not going to do it. and raising standards so that other feel cruel and useless is cruel and useless. it is simply a global version of the alpha male theory, which is unfair and unjust. and human nature's own thirst to better itself is the problem in the first place. our quest to make this planet 'better' is what is destroying it in the first place, on both the enviormental and social level.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

from the fingers of tibilt
    our quest to make this planet 'better' is what is destroying it in the first place, on both the enviormental and social level.

our? OUR?? no. the west's.
    and a side point on homelessness. the simon community shouldn't need any of our money. this is a rich country, recently £20million was given to the GAA for some stadium. fuk hte stadium and use that for homeless shelters etc.
    going back to one of my equations in another thread. money is evil. by hte time a good-intentioned person gets enough money to do something in the world, their spirit has been broken, and their will to do something torn away. as long as money rules, there is no hope for hte future.

side note. being happy is good, and one of the points of living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I'm going to get my kicks before the whole ****house goes up in flames, ***!!!!!!!!!

But on a more serious note. yes we're all being ****ed in the ass. do we (we = the populace, not *you*) care? **** no! why? because it dosent effect us! when will we care? when it does effect us! when will that happen? never!

Everyones ****ing everyone else in the ass and i think i'm devolping some kind of alcohol dependancy! Weeeeee!
    I hope to be a journalist or a camera man some day! but they'll silence me! oh no. oh arse, you people have any idea of the kind of global activism it will take to change things? think you're going to see it in your life time? my life line says not to me, don't know about you. Create a legacy.

and ***, If you can't be famous, be infamous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

One problem there Aliminator, the money for the stadium has already been spent..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

/me walks up, dressed MIB style

Society? Screwed? No. Everything is normal. Michael Moore is a hypocrite and...erm...is Osama Bin Laden in disguise. Now return to your houses and places of interest. Nothing to see here. Don't make me call the cleanup team. You'd be suprised how quickly some nuclear waste can magically appear.

Originally posted by Dalamar
    One problem there Aliminator, the money for the stadium has already been spent..

i know that. i simply saying that with a little foresight from our politicians, homelessness could be tackled, and further homelessness PREVENTED. but no. this, like every other captialist *cough-facist-cough* country does not think ahead about social problems, only election winning (transport links or small things) projects.

only if learned and broad-minded individuals like ourselves ever got into politics (and didn't die from the mind-numbing boring-ness of it), could something be done about homelessness on a REAL scale.
    enuff ranting outta me

forsight is not what was needed, common ****ing sense would have worked

i used 'ours' as a general term for all of society/ the west cannot be blamed for the funadamental flaws in society alim. george bush is used as a blaming post far too often for problems whose roots are in society as a whole, not in our leaders.

Originally posted by Aliminator

only if learned and broad-minded individuals like ourselves ever got into politics (and didn't die from the mind-numbing boring-ness of it), could something be done about homelessness on a REAL scale.
    enuff ranting outta me

as learned and broad-minded as you may be alim, you have absolutely no grasp of politics. our 'capitalist' society allows us the freedom to say and do what we like, but it does not leave room for any real change. that is the same with all politics. only change that will aid the government in some way will be implemented, otherwise the beauracrats who so capably run our country simply ignore.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tibilt
    . our 'capitalist' society allows us the freedom to say and do what we like, but it does not leave room for any real change. that is the same with all politics.

eh... no. in parts of the US (can't remember which states) high school students are ACTIVELY ENCOURAGED to rat on students who are making anti-american statments. it's the closest thing to the Thought Police. i don't call that freedom of speech

tibilt:

'say and do what we like?' are u serious? no. we can not say and do what we like and hope to get anywhere in life.
    i'm sorry, but the west (i use that as i am half-turkish, and of a different religion. i know i don't always act like it, but still, one gets a bit of a broader scope on life) does have social flaws, magnified by the politicians and 'persons behind closed doors,' to ensure that the life the politicians want remains. we do not have freedom of speech. this is facist, instead of jews, the oppressed are 3rd world and those who do not share the same view and power.
    and yes, currently i have no grasp of politics. but when i get my mind back, i will be up for true debates.

first of all alim, dont be so arrogant when you dont know what your talkng about. i was referring to the freedoms we are pacified with in this ever so facist society. of course you cant get ahead in life saying and doing what you want, but thats just the vicious cycle of the life we all seem to get stuck with. doing something we hate in order to get by. il apologize if i would prefer not to waste my life on something so trivial. i prefer to say and do what i want, regardless of the society structure i am forcibly grounded with. of course i conform to the fundamental codes of morals and ethics, but i simply refuse to waste my life in self-inflicted torment because thats the way it is. and if you truly believe in these funamental philosphies of the corrupt and helpless society, being of a different religion should matter not, alim, for although we all share different religions, we all share the same society. but i agree with you on about the unfair system of tiers in our society, leaving the 3rd world at the bottom, so that those in power stay in power. this is unfair and unjust, but bitching about it will solve nothing alim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

yes, i agree that bitching doesn't get us anywhere...
    but bitching about society is what this thread boils down to, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

pessimistic, though bleakly accurate. though the individual can live if it chooses to. it is all a matter of choice. that is what makes us who we are and that is what makes life worth living. choose to live. you dont have to defy the system, but you dont have to conform to it either. find your niche, find what makes you happy, and embrace the world and all the beauty it contains with eyes wide open.

yes yes. bitchin' solves nothing. sorry to sound that way. i was simply trying to support my claims about society. whatever they were.
    Society may be screwed but it’s in built into the system.

indeed. and the system is too rigid and red-taped to be revampt properly. look what happened with communism.
    and i'm no rectum ranger.
    and yes, the world can be a beautiful place, when one takes the luxury of ignoring problems. like i (and most) so often do.

bitching about society can only work if you bitch persistently to the people in power, which i doubt any of us have contact with (excluding lobbying them with letters. it doesn't usually work). but heck, bitching sure passes the time :)

bitching against the people in charge does not work.people in power are trained to ignore bitching. all decsions are made based on a public sentiment drawn from various methods employed by the ignorant overlords of our capitalist paradise.

yes, but that's until I get in charge. then we'll see who bitches about whom

capitalist paradise... nice oxymoron.

• Advertisement

well if you manage to implement the marxist theory with success, i personally will applaud you. unless of course you only quote stalin for the psuedo-intellectual charm.

Advertisement