Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American car show

Options
  • 14-09-2003 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭

Did anyone here attend the American car show in Kilbeggan today? OK, american cars may not be to everyone's taste but there were some real beauties at the show including a 70 Dodge Challenger 383 and a beautiful dark green 68 Dodge Charger (my favourite) Also, lots of cadillacs, lincoln continentals, camaros, mustangs etc.

But I was disappointed that at least half the cars on display were UK registered. Pity that more people aren't into classic cars in this country still it was nice to see some UK enthusiasts made the effort to come over here to show their cars. Also there weren't many (any?) cars from the 50's and 40's or earlier, most of them were 60's and 70's machines.

PS the Dodge Charger was irish registered. I wonder if it's the only one in the country - probably. I have seen this car a number of times being driven on the roads around dublin/kildare it's quite a sight :)

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Passing through Clonard earlier, had to double take when I saw a Delorean.

Gotta love those initials on the front! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There were 4 or 5 DeLoreans parked beside each other at the show. What a sight :D I hadn't seen a DeLorean in the metal before. One thing that was noticeable was that every one of them were covered in what looked like oily fingerprints. I don't know if it was actual oil or if it's just that the stainless steel bodywork is is very susceptible to being pawed by dirty sweaty fingers :) I think I heard before that the bodywork on these cars is *impossible* to keep clean alright.

BTW thanks to Silvera for posting the dates of classic car shows in ireland in this forum. That's how I learned about the show. The show was on last year too but I missed it. Saw the signs for it last year unfortunately the show had been on the previous week. I didn't think i'd get the opportunity to catch it again.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

No probs, BrianD3.

Regarding most of the cars you saw being UK registrations, I suspect that the majority of these were from the North rather than across the water.
    (I'm pretty sure that cars brought back to the North can retain their UK plates, if desired).
    Some of them may also be Irish owned and awaiting re-registration here - as with the Dodge Charger.

Those DeLoreans were at the Trim Car Show a while back - the oily marks most likely were from people touching them - I recall reading about DeLorean Club members having a special cleaner for the stainless steel bodywork - i.e to remove "paw prints" :D

Incidentially, there is a red DeLorean in the Museum of Irish Transport in Killarney - it was one of the few 'painted' DeLoreans supplied new that way.

I also saw that Charger at a show recently - quite a beastie ! - it's based in Co.Kildare.

Regards,
    Silvera.

P.S. - I've updated the Classic Show thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

Yea
    I was there
    Great show!!! Did you see the 2003 Porsche 911 turbo, the hummer an 2002 SL 500 AMG????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I saw a dodge charger at a motorbike show earlier this year in Tramore, Waterford. I didn't look at the registration plates, but it was quite a sight. It needed some work, but still... When the driver started it up, everyone just looked and wanted...

• Advertisement

Didn't see the 03 Porsche or AMG. Wasn't really looking for non American or modern cars. To be honest, while a 03 Porsche Turbo is a wonderful car, it seems almost mundane compared to a Sublime Green 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 ci V8! IMO of course :) And would have been even better with the 440 ci engine or better still the 426 Hemi :D

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

it seems almost mundane compared to a Sublime Green 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 ci V8!

The man knows his MOPAR's, im impressed........but you left out the "R/T" :D

The man knows his MOPAR's
    I'm by no means an expert on american cars in general or MOPARS in particular. But I do buy Classic American magazine occasionally and I've always loved films like Bullitt, Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry which feature Mopar muscle heavily. Plus I grew up (misspent childhood) watching The Dukes of Hazard.....
    you left out the "R/T"
    Dammit. Must brush up on my anorak knowledge :D

BrianD3

Advertisement