Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewire-Webcams and hdd caddy's

• 14-09-2003 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Firstly can you guys recommed any?

I'm thinking of using the webcam for taking some still images too...Is this possible? And what's the quality like? I suppose it's worth knowing if there is any point going for firewire over usb (not usb2 my pc doesn't have this)

Same goes for the hard drive caddy. I'm looking to use it for saving important files that I'll be downloading in college, and at lans.

I'll be using my laptop for both and it has a firewire card, so I'd like to use it

I suppose it'd me good to know where to get them too

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Dunno if you can get IEEE 1394 web cams - they're usually low enough res that USB1 can handle it no worries. IMO firewire is better than USB2. Speed is comparible but firewire devices can talk to each other with no other intervention required - plus you can daisy chain them. Have 2 external HDD bays for my laptop, got the last one from Peats (the first one I bought was shagged so they gave me a better one) it was only about 70 euro and is USB2 & IEEE 1394 which is really handy for leeching stuff off people who dont have firewire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

thanks for that Virus_Inc. I was hoping to find somewhere online to get the stuff though. Peats don't have a great reputation for being cheap.

Does anyone else know of anywhere to get one. If anyone has good experience with one, even usb, then any feedback would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im pretty sure pcworld ( of all places ) have a firewire version of this philips webcam : http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1866894055.1063836608@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadcjgkgimfecflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=741189&category_oid=-9870

we have the usb version - and it's realy great especially in low light enviroments.try google the firewire version for reviews.

Btw u up for a 1 V 1 game of generals: Zero Hour @ DSVII ;)

CombatCow

Advertisement