Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mozilla Firebird

Options
  • 14-09-2003 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Just started using Mozilla Firebird as my default browser and it really is the bees knees. Any other people using it? With the All-in-one gestures extension installed, it takes the best feature of Opera (mouse gestures), the speediness and compatibility of IE, and drops the heavy, hard-disk crunching start up of Netscape/Mozilla. It'd be perfect, if it only would let you reposition toolbars to the bottom - I prefer the address bar at the bottom like Opera.

Anyhow, my question is, does anybody know how to open a link in a new tab with a shortcut, like shift+click, though it opens it in a new window?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just started using it too. The main gripe i have is that it doesnt seem to support my wheel mouse.
    With the All-in-one gestures extension installed,

What is this extentsion exactly?

Otherwise, im quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Just found out, it's ctrl+shift+click to open in a new tab.

All-in-one Gestures has a lot of cool features, most customisable, that lets you do things like click and drag to the left (a bit - much quicker than it sounds) on a page to go back, or right to go forward, down then up to reload, down then right to close a tab/window etc. much like Opera. Believe me, once you get used to them (in a few minutes!) you'll go mad if you can't use them.

I've an MS Wireless Optical mouse, and the scroll button's working fine in Firebird. Would drive me nuts otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Is all-in-one gestures as nice as the Radial Contect menu extension? I'm really liking that little addon... :)

http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html#RadialContext

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

i tried it and am impressed but opera is still better.
    Firebird is a bit bare when it comes to options and customizing.
    Because of this i'll stick with opera for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    Just found out, it's ctrl+shift+click to open in a new tab.
    ctrl+click will open in a new tab without switching to it, so you can have all the links loading up in the background while you're still reading the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 [niKo]

Depends on your mouse, but if you just click the mouse3 button it should open a new tab in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

man i'm loving mf (heh) to bits, a stripped down mozilla with i cleaner interface, noice.
    any idea when 1.0 will come out?

just about to try a couple of the above mentioned plugins:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Love Mozilla Firebird. 0.7 should be out by the end of the month (they're going to try and coincide it with Mozilla 1.5). 1.0 should be out by the end of the year. Can't wait till they stop developing Big Mozilla and pour all their development into Firebird and Thunderbird.

That RadialContext job is something else. Bit too much for me though, prefer just the plain mouse gestures. The Tab Extender extension rocks though. Got the tabs to the bottom, just have to see bout getting the address there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I was just about to make a new thread asking what browser to use but then downloaded this.

I've used ie 5.5 ie 6 opera 7 and standard mozilla(which was the worst)

This is by far the best imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

I know it is not a real browser, but it does de job very nicely

www.crazybrowser.com

it runs on top of IE, so compatibility is not an issue, has tabs, and blocks pop ups!

the only thing I miss is the wheel + CTRL in Opera for zooming.. that is by far the best option in Opera (imho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I am enjoying Firebird for browsing, and I switched to Thunderbird for mail - which I am also enjoying. Anybody else tried Thunderbird?

I downloaded Thunderbird because of the recent Best Email Client thread, but I really don't like the way it handles multiple accounts, so I'm sticking with Eudora. Might go back to Eudora 5, instead of 6, the buttons are a bit annoying.

It was actually when I was downloading Thunderbird that I read about Firebird and downloaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

I've actually been looking at it today on download.com and the general user review is pretty high. I use outlook XP at the moment since i use it at work and i'm used to it. Might download this one later though and try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bashibazouk

Use The Bat, it's fabby - Outlook made me sad for too long.

Advertisement