Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[FR]New DSL modems with RJ45 connectors

Options
  • 15-09-2003 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Free.fr DSL service which costs EUR 29.99 per month inc vat (free modem and free service set-up) now provide two free phone lines to their subscribers with international calls for just 3 centS per minute.

http://adsl.free.fr/tel/tarifs/

zz..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Actually, Free are offering one 'free telephone line' - the 2nd telephone socket on the freebox is for a France Telecom phone line. To subscribe to ADSL here in France you must have an FT telephone line and continue to pay €13 line rental per month to FT

The so-called 'free telephone line' uses VoIP (voice over IP, or Internet telephony) to creat a virtual phone line managed by the Freebox. until next year all local calls are free, whether to other Freeboxes or to phones, and from next year there will be a fixed fee to call phones within France while calls to Freebox numbers will remain free. Their international telephone rates are fairly competitive when compared to other VoIP services and are much cheaper than normal international calls, but the quality varies wildly and some countries (parts of SE Asia for example) cannot be called at all.

Since last month Free are no longer the cheapest DSL provider in France - Tele2 have an offer of €24.95 a month with no connection or disconnection fees and no minimum contract period (I've got it and it works a treat). www.tele2.fr

FYI Free charge a €99 disconnection fee if you end your subscription.

Many of the other French ISP's have decided not to reduce their prices but instead to improve their services, offering higher speed (1024 at the price previously set for 512), TV stations etc. Tiscali are currently the subject of takeover talk from France telecom's Wanadoo which may reduce the choice but increase pressure on ISP's like Club-Internet (part of Deutsche Telekom) to reduce their rates. A good site to check out (particularly the forums) : www.dslvalley.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Icehouse
    Actually, Free are offering one 'free telephone line' - the 2nd telephone socket on the freebox is for a France Telecom phone line.
    I was actually going by the picture of the modem. They must have incorporated a filter in the freebox?

To subscribe to ADSL here in France you must have an FT telephone line and continue to pay €13 line rental per month to FT
    Same here only the eircom abonnement for a line is nearly twice as much!

Since last month Free are no longer the cheapest DSL provider in France - Tele2 have an offer of €24.95 a month with no connection or disconnection fees and no minimum contract period (I've got it and it works a treat). www.tele2.fr
    I notice that they also have a slower 128k DSL option for 18,95€ inc VAT.

FYI Free charge a €99 disconnection fee if you end your subscription.

Don't be giving people ideas!

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by zz03

Don't be giving people ideas!

Too late!

I see that eircom have introduced a 123,97 € + VAT disconnection charge in a document that has just appeared on their website this morning!

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

zz..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Bloody hell, with prices like that I don't know how anyone in Ireland can have a fixed phone line let alone hope to have broadband! I've not lived in Ireland for 4 years, but it's still a massive ripoff!!

Advertisement