Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on staging Lan Parties

Options
  • 26-05-1999 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

For those who don't know me, I'm responsible for Kali.ie, the Quake.ie sister site. Thats not to say that I'm not also a Quake fan. I've been planning a Lan party for some work colleagues and obviously Quake and Q3Test will be playing a major part in the action.

What I'm looking for is advice on how the competitions should be structured to keep everyone interested for as long as possible.

Are there any serverside mods which can be used for a "Roving View"? I'm planning to have a projector running for those who have been eliminated to watch the games in progress. All of the above is for Quake 1 obviously....

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Alatar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh just the ticket
    since theres a nice wee one coming up soon in my house id also like this info smile.gif

actually i dont. but whoever is setting up me lan might like to know wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

WWM... who's bringing the hub? Make sure you have a hub! Hubs are your friend, citizen. The last thing you want is to use co-ax, and run out of 50 ohm resistors, or look for annoying cable breaks... get a hub, and ask everyone to bring NCs. And get someone to get a crimper. DeVore has loads of cat5 cable - we can nick it smile.gif

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Alatar mate.

Presuming that you already have figured out the networking side of things, ie network cards, cabling, hubs, switches, etc. you can move onto the comp side.

How about trying something simple as setting up 1 ffa server, 1 duel server and a war server. Use kteams for both the duel and war server. For the ffa server, simply set a server up with DMM3 running.

For observing. Get a pc in the corner, hang the projector/ (infocus unit) off the back of it. Make sure it has a 3d card in it. Get cheapo or quizmo and connect to either of the above servers. Use .track with your proxy and bungo, theres your spectator cam. You'll probably need some1 to look after it, record demos and jump from player to player, etc.

Have fun. Btw, Whens this on? and Am I invited smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Someone hold a big fukk off lan please!! smile.gif...

/me wants some mad lan action...

cya in nethouse tomorrow..

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I am haveing a weekend bash at the end of June, the games will be tribes (lots of), starsiege(wee bit of), half life (bit of TFC)and if brother teeth gets his way Starcraft (tho I dont have the game, nor intend to get it. I also plan to test the new multiplayer lan features in CM3 Thats all the mo.

The last count there was 16 pc's coming. (cos I only have 1 16 port hub, and limited space) but more ppl can come I suppose, no room to stay over tho as place is booked up.

Will be a good weekend as I have connections in the beer trade let us say.....

BBQ, marque the whole nine yards.....

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Alatar

Thanks for the info guys.

Are there any sites available with info on serverside mods and general server help. I have a standard QW Server set up in work, running on an NT machine and I'd like to add some features like map voting, frag logging etc...

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Alatar

P.S. Mindphuck, where can I get the mods you mentioned? BTW, you're more than welcome to join us whenever this gets off the ground, but you'll have to make your way to Limerick.

Advertisement