Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guys a legend

• 15-09-2003 12:34pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Pires on the "penalty" on Saturday
    "All I know is that there was contact with my foot and there was a noise. I think that is what the referee heard to give the penalty. I did not dive and I am not a cheat. That is not the way I play."

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Speaking of legends adrian mutu now theres a legend in the making and dont forget duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

as was said before, those lessons taken from Ruud have really been paying off for Arsenal.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    as was said before, those lessons taken from Ruud have really been paying off for Arsenal.
    At least Ruud is good at it and doesn't come up with ridiculous statements protesting his innocence after the game. There is plenty of divers in the PL, Owen being another of them.

No doubt about it, yet Owen he is still not as good at it as Ruud, When RVN thinks he can score it would take a bus to knock him off the ball and when it is not as likely, a good gust of wind could do it.

dont forget ronaldo a gust of wind knocks him down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Diving drives me insane, as said Rudd and Ronaldo are divers but Pires blatantly put his foot across to catch the defender, now maybe me is deaf but I never heard a noise when you hit someones boot!!!

It is about time the likes of Rudd, Ronaldo, Pires, et al are hauled up for all this crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Diving drives me insane, as said Rudd and Ronaldo are divers but Pires blatantly put his foot across to catch the defender, now maybe me is deaf but I never heard a noise when you hit someones boot!!!

Quite Right. I cant believce those who masquerade as sports fans condoning Pires'sd blatent cheating. To kick a defender in his own penalty area and the go down looking for the pen is Cheating .

Arsenal Fans we quick enoght to lable Jeffers a Cheating little scumbag when he moved to Everton. What does saturday and his comments since make Pires but a lying cheating little scumbag. If they are that desperate for a point it just goes to show the pressure their players are under and so early in the season too.:D

To be fair Muppet, the Arsenal fans here were calling Jeffers a cheating little so and so well before the move back to everton was announced.

Also I do not think that anybody condoned it here, just pointed out that it is not the worst of what has been going on and that Pires is not the worst offender.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pires is not the worst offender

then who is? He never stays on his feet, Beckham was probably worse but Pires wins this one hands down, or falls down in his case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Every team has a player who seems to spend more time on his back than on his feet. It has become a feature of the Modern Game so to speak, and it looks like it is here to stay.

The reason people like Pires and Van Nistleroy etc. get all the attention is because they are really great players, and they don't need to resort to cheating since they have such great ability. No-one would be complaining if Heskey was diving all over the place, they'd just say, "Ah bless. He's probably doing more for the team lying on the ground there then he ever could standing up...."

This doesn't mean that I condone it, I have just learned to accept it maybe. In my view it is cheating, but for a referee, it must be a nightmare trying to deal with it. They will get it wrong and award the penalties / free kicks and players will be booked / sent off because of it, but then again, they sometimes miss the real fouls too (memories of Denis Bergkamp standing on a players head during the 1998 World Cup).

There have been far more bookings for diving now than there was in the Klinnsmann era, but I still don't think that is a deterrant. There should be someone who reviews the matches and has the power to book players hours after the game has finished or something like that.

• Advertisement

ronaldo and ruud van nistolroy

That penalty that Phillips got for Southampton at the weekend was a little dodgy aswell. I know there was contact but he didn't seem off balance when there was contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by yop
    then who is? He never stays on his feet, Beckham was probably worse but Pires wins this one hands down, or falls down in his case

beckham + owen are serious divers, but the problem is we don't hear about it as they are english

just look at teh freekick against greece and pen Vs argi

for the free beckham just just waiting on a tackle

and against agri owen did the same

also duff falls down a bit easy (eg Vs spain) but again we tend to forgert this

I think the worst I've seen is victor bia(is that him?) Vs celtic in UEFA cup final .. he fell around about 15yards or so

another mention is Rivaldo (v turkey)

think the worst I've seen is victor bia(is that him?)

ya that was brutal alright, Duffer is not bad, Owen is nothing compared to the rest of them
    Ashley cole is another

Originally posted by yop
    Ashley cole is another
    Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by hussey
    beckham + owen are serious divers, but the problem is we don't hear about it as they are english

just look at teh freekick against greece and pen Vs argi

for the free beckham just just waiting on a tackle

and against agri owen did the same

Theres a difference betwen "inviting" a challange and faking contact. When Owen went down in box against Argentina
    he was brought down by an opposition player the fact he made the most of it is not cheating (not that I like to see exaggeration either).

Speaking of offenders Robbie Savage may have commited the most obvious dive since Klinsmanns self-parody on his Spurs
    debut. He was playing in an FA cup game 2/3 years ago if I remember rightly and it was a full on 9.9 triple twist!!

Mike.

To be fair Muppet, the Arsenal fans here were calling Jeffers a cheating little so and so well before the move back to everton was announced.

Whats the differenc between what jeffers did and pires did? None IMo except jeffers did it in the rght side of the box and pires in the left.
    Also I do not think that anybody condoned it here, just pointed out that it is not the worst of what has been going on and that Pires is not the worst offender.

I dont agree i watch a lot of football and the pires incident is a blatent as anything i have see.

I agree sometimes RVN goes down under very light contact . It is a non contact sport and while it annoys me he is not cheating by doing so. There is a huge differenc between this and what pires did which is there for all to see. Blatent Cheating. If he did it against a bigger team there would be a lot more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

did no one see Kev Phillips dive against Wolves at the weekend!!!

it was 50 times worse that Pires one. complete joke so it was!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by VinnyL

it was 50 times worse that Pires one. complete joke so it was!!
    Southampton aren't chasing the title so nobody cares if he dives or not.

Rivaldo's playacting against Turkey was utter genious. You have to admire his quick thinking. "ball hits my knee.... HOLD FACE AND ROLL!"

Klinsmann's playacting following the 'elbow in the face' by Costa Curta all those years ago in the Champions League was also very impressive. He got Costa Curta sent off for it which i was rather miffed about seeing as i follow Milan.

Start a thread on it then instead of trying to go off topic on this one. Every time some posts a legitimat post about the gunners
    all you get here is so and so did much worse. I understand its difficult to defend the undefensible but would it not be better to cut out the whinging andmoaning face the facts. Pires Cheated on saturday and got away with it End Of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by kaids
    Southampton aren't chasing the title so nobody cares if he dives or not.

the thing is tough it wasn't even a good dive and the ref still fell for it!!

"Simulation" should deffo be more harshly penalised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Start a thread on it then instead of trying to go off topic on this one. Every time some posts a legitimat post about the gunners
    all you get here is so and so did much worse. I understand its difficult to defend the undefensible but would it not be better to cut out the whinging andmoaning face the facts. Pires Cheated on saturday and got away with it End Of.

I can see how u got ur name :D

I can see how u got ur name

A bit slow are we?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

Speaking of legends adrian mutu now theres a legend in the making and dont forget duff

The same was said for michael owen and now look at him

Who duff or mutu

Advertisement