Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Player 9 codecs?

• 15-09-2003 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or does Windows Media Player 9 no longer give you the option to install video codecs permanently? Every second time I play a .mpg or .avi file, it connects to MS and downloads the necessary codec (or fails to!) Not a problem at work, where I have free, always-on access, but I put the thing on my laptop at home and now it seems I have to be connected to the internet or it won't play any files that aren't MS WMP-encoded...

Should I uninstall it and go back to WMP 7 or 8?

Thanks for any tips,
    peckerhead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Start > Run > mplayer2

Media Player 6.4 rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I use windows media player classic (6.4.5.6) - which plays quicktime & real player files also.

Havnt used wmp 9 but have heard that its got some phone home features ..some of which can be turned off in the preferences??

A proggy like gspot can determine what codecs are required for a particular file and if these exist on your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Just go get ACE mega codecs pack which will give you all the codecs you will ever need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yep, windows media player classic all the way! other very nice one, is Sasami2k

btw, here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;324290&

Advertisement