Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pires: Biggest Cheat in the Premer League?

• 15-09-2003 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

This man drives me insane any time I watch Arsenal with his diving and moaning antics.

His latest two major incidents are disgraceful and it is beyond me why the FA do not do anyhting about him.

On Saturday Arsenal were awarded a penalty for a blatant dive. His upper body was about two feet from the defender but he made sure his own foot was wrapped around the defenders to make it look like a trip. The fact that he was on his way down nefore the legs touched gives it away.

A few weeks ago he was involved with Mellberg during the Villa game at Highbury. While running down the sideline with Mellberg, Pires decided to throw himself to the ground holding his face. The refere on that occasion did not fall for it though. Pires got up and started to moan at Mellberg and continued this as the went down the tunnell when the half time whistle went a few minutes later. The replay clearly shows there was no contact between the two and Pires was obviously complaining to hide the fact he was looking for the free kick.

Its got to the stage that someone will actually go in and sort him out and noone will believe him. Maybe then he will think about his antics and cheating.

So, do you think Robert Pires is the biggest cheat in the PL?

Is Pires the biggest cheat in the Premier League? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No, Van TapsInAndDives is as bad, as is owen, as is ljundberg as are a muiltitude of players.

Tell me though, did you even bother to read the other thread on this EXACT subject (Guys a legend) before you decided to bore us all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Pires dived? What a shock:rolleyes:

Players dive, it's a fact of life whether you like it or not. Until the FA decide that video evidence can be used players are going to contuinue to dive.

These guys are pros and much as I hat it Pires's dive earned the Arse a point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

if u cant think of anything else to say but critize arsenal shut up

van horseface is just as bad if not worse, there are loads of players that dive i know its bad and i wish arsenal players dont do it but it happens

dont get sucked in by the tabloid vendetta against arsenal

they are wrote off arsenal before the league started so because there not cracking and losing games they have to write about something

get over it the lot of ye

talk about football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dont get sucked in by the tabloid vendetta against arsenal

Last week it was an Fa vendetta the week before it was a refs Vendetta. Cop on or get the Paranoia Checked. Cheating Arsenal deserve everthing they Get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Last week it was an Fa vendetta the week before it was a refs Vendetta. Cop on or get the Paranoia Checked. Cheating Arsenal deserve everthing they Get.

so when did i say that quote me please or else shut the **** up and take ur head out of fergies arse!!!

• Advertisement

If you can not remember your own posts you should not really flame people who can . It makes you look stupid:D

BTW Jank I think you may have slightly misspelt your user name.:p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes he is a blatant cheat but as discussed in another thread he is one of many now playin the PL.
    The way it is is that it is too common a fact, until the FA sort it out we are going to be talkin about Pires, Cole, RVN, Owen etc etc diving, cheating what ever we want to call it, we all hate it regardless of who it is, I am sure we agree on that

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by jank
    dont get sucked in by the tabloid vendetta against arsena
    its a bit late for that in fairness:
    Originally posted by the muppet
    Cheating Arsenal deserve everthing they Get.

To kick a defender in his own penalty area and the go down looking for the pen is Cheating .

I understand its difficult to defend the undefensible but would it not be better to cut out the whinging andmoaning face the facts. ... I agree sometimes RVN goes down under very light contact . It is a non contact sport and while it annoys me he is not cheating by doing so.
    you'd have a better chance of converting hitler to judaism than getting a rational argument out of the muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well you can't really blame Arsenal fans for being paranoid, especially when you see Kevin Phillips perform a much worse dive for Southampton in the same weekend as Pires', and it's Pires and Arsenal who get all the headlines. Phillip dive doesn't even get a mention in the press.

Anyway in answer to the topic, no he isn't. That dubious honour would have to go to van Nistelrooy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Michael Owen is the worst but he does it well (some of the time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tis all a bit pointless really, I then RVN is the worst, someone else thinks Owen and someone else Pires. It is part of the game and while there is no negative side to it then it will continue to be used as a method of getting goals and points from matches.

What I would like to see is where clubs who feel hard done by (like portsmouth at the weekend) are given an avenue of complaint. Perhaps in the form of a review board to look at the dive and if they determine that it was a dive then maybe a 1 match ban for the player in question or something like that.

That's not a perfect solution, it's of no use to Portsmouth after it has already occured. Also players would still deem it worthwhile in certain instances, a cup final perhaps, or just when a match is being drawn in the 87th minute.

Something needs to be done though, it's anoying for all fans concerned eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pires apologised at least.

To be fair I think video review on the spot by the 4th official is long overdue.

How can they still argue about it holding up the game when they insist that every bloody player treated by a physio leave the pitch and come back on.

Posted By KAids
    you'd have a better chance of converting hitler to judaism than getting a rational argument out of the muppet.

Sorry of my opinions dont suit you but i didnt notice you making comment like this when I praised arsenal after their previous match. I say it as i see it and if you anyone doesn't like that thats tough, Get over it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Southampton penalty decision was worse, I thought - and now Dave Jones is being done by the FA for calling Uriah Rennie 'useless' after the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    The Southampton penalty decision was worse, I thought - and now Dave Jones is being done by the FA for calling Uriah Rennie 'useless' after the match.

Whats wrong with that? Jones was only telling the truth. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well if they fine him it proves they have not a clue, rennie is a flute anyway, bleedin prancing around the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Anders Limpar was a great diver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah Limpar was a pro at diving for sure. And what about Damien Duff? I've never seen anyone tumble so much in my life.

And its not all forwards either. Remember Martin Keown in last years Champions League?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT:D

Cheating Arsenal deserve everthing they Get.
    That sounds like a vendetta:D

• Advertisement

??

Oops, I forgot the context - things always make less sense when I forget the context.

:D

Now that the ref has asked the FA to rescind the yellow card issued for the alledged tackle on pires it is obvious that he too is of the opinion that Pires is guilty of being a Cheat.

Charges of bringing the game into disrepute may follow and as Pires does not play for England he won't be able to threaten to pull out of the national team to escape punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

When I first saw the poll, the Red Mist came over me & I voted yes, because he was a non Man Utd player, but in hindsight [having read all the comments made] I have to agree that diving is rife in the sport [even @ United .... RvN, Ronnie and a few others]!!

I'll probably be bawled out of it for this, but I think that diving has gotten many times worse since the players started joining the Premiership from the continent!!

IMO the whole matter of diving is slowly but surely undermining the ability of referees to do their jobs, because they're worried that they'll get slated/demoted if they make a wrong decision.

Diving is a form of cheating & to cheat is to commit an act that gains a self beneficial outcome by duping the opponent or in this case the referees.

IMO it is high time that video decisions should be brought in to aide in the making of decisions in contentious situations. They did it with Rugby Union/League [??] for try decisions & I don't think it has slowed those games down too much!!

[/End]Rant[/End]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jeffers (is that cos' he's no longer at Arsenal...). He's the worst I've seen, if only because he dives even when its a team-mate who comes near him...

Advertisement