Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you come up with a good excuse?

• 15-09-2003 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭

OK,

I'm in work, I want to get one day of but I don't want tell my boss the reason that I want the day off.

Can you come up with a good excuse as why I would want a day off work midweek?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

why do you need an excuse, do you not get days you can take off whenever you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

someone off boards said this to me recently and I thought it was a gem...

The plumber is coming and I have to wait for him

depends on whether you actually have a house though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"It's a family matter", or a variation thereof, tends to do quite nicely.

worked once for me, at any rate, when I buggered off to go to a bike rally instead of work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

If you were a woman you could tell him. 'Its woman stuff'
    Make up an ilness like asthma. Every so often you get called for a checkup.

Complain about a toothache the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

You give platelets and need to go to James's for a donation. Either that or you have a special bloodgroup and you need to donate. Works for me all the time. Its O Negative or rhesus neg FYI.

K-

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kell
    Its O Negative or rhesus neg FYI

indeed, that would be like gold dust to the blood bank!

I believe if you were to tell them that you have a dental app. to get a root canal - this can take over 2 hrs to do and all you will want afterwards is bed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭Stark

call in sick that morning. Or say you have to wait for someone who's calling to the house. It's just one day off, the only reason a boss should get pissed is if you were doing it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If by any chance this is for a job interview I'd be cautious about calling in sick. I've had more than one where a current boss/line manager turned up on the panel! Even if that doesn't happen it wouldn't be to hard for an employer to work out when you went for an interview if offered the job and and obviously pulled sickday might piss off someone from whom you need a reference. I'd be inclined to just ask for a day off for 'personal reasons'.

Of course if this isn't for an interview any of the excuses above would be ok. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Originally posted by Kell
    You give platelets and need to go to James's for a donation. Either that or you have a special bloodgroup and you need to donate. Works for me all the time. Its O Negative or rhesus neg FYI.

K-

A blood donation only takes about 15 mins, so that excuse is a bit crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Unless you are in the middle of a very busy period or big project etc, you do not have to justify the need to take a day off, regardless if it is midweek.

As long as you give enough notice you do not need a reason, however if it is at short notice then simply say personal issues and leave it at that.

enjoy your day off :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by commuterised
    A blood donation only takes about 15 mins, so that excuse is a bit crap.

For the donation itself. But with all the crap that goes with it like queuing, interviews waiting around afterwards while they make sure you're okay, it can take 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I've to go to the STD Clinic :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I suppose you could always try the "explosive diaorrhoea" excuse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Beruthiel

I believe if you were to tell them that you have a dental app. to get a root canal - this can take over 2 hrs to do and all you will want afterwards is bed....

Really, I'm O negative is it not common? i heard some stuff years back that they can use a certain amounth of O neg on anybody no matter what the blood type is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Why should you have to tell them WHY you need the day off at all? As long as your absence isn't causing them any major problems, I can't see any reasonable boss/manager having a problem with you taking a day off (letting them know a week or two in advance of course) for "personal reasons".

Originally posted by Boston
    Really, I'm O negative is it not common? i heard some stuff years back that they can use a certain amounth of O neg on anybody no matter what the blood type is.

afaik - any blood type which is R negative is rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Rememberance mass usually works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Make up an ilness like asthma. Every so often you get called for a checkup.
    but then you'll get in **** for lieing on the part of your application form that said "perfect health"...
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

afaik - any blood type which is R negative is rare

hmm so anythign with negative is rare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

If its in advance i usually go with no reason, none of their concern really. If its short notice and its a hangover use a sick day (that's what they're there for, never use them when your actually sick :D) or if its just a day off at short notice you could go with the 'have to do a family thing down the country (any 'family thing' will usually work)' or for a half day a 'meeting' (leave as vague as possible) will usually suffice. Ah the joys of time off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Originally posted by bug
    someone off boards said this to me recently and I thought it was a gem...

The plumber is coming and I have to wait for him

depends on whether you actually have a house though.
    Yeah, that was me; it worked perfectly!
    The beauty of the plumber excuse is something screwing up with your plumbing can happen really quickly, plus plumbers are always late and take as much time as they can, plus there's a potential clean-up afterward, all of which adds up to a day off for you.

And i have plenty of it pumping through me. The last four times I was asked to donate I was ill. Bah. And it was for baby packs too. Thats the only thing that makes me feel guilty when ill.

K-

Originally posted by Boston

O Neg is averagely common, but its called a universal donor group. i.e. anyone can have your blood but you can only have yours unless the recipient has something whackier again.

K-

I thought there was nothing "wackier" than O-.

"+" people can accept from "+" and "-" people with the correct ABO group, whereas "-" people can only accept from "-" people.

AB can accept from anyone
    A can only accept from A and O
    B can only accept from B and O
    O can only accept from O

Therefore if you're AB+ you're sorted (in a selfish way) because you can have anyone's blood, but if you're O- then you can only get O- blood.

There are other blood groupings but they don't tend to affect the transfusion process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"I have a driving test" if you don't already have your licence is a good one to use...

"Got to mind the younger brother while my Mum goes in for [insert relatively minor medical procedure here]"

Advertisement