Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL here in Japan

Options
  • 15-09-2003 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Well I got my DSL connection here in Japan. I'm out in the stix here so I could only get their 8mbps connection, and not their 24Mbps. Both give 1Mbps upload. The max download speed I've managed to get was just shy of 700kb/sec. The great thing is that there's no cap. Hehehe

The problem with the connection is that it shows up the problems with individual websites. O2's website is just pathetic. It's just as fast as when using a dialup connection. The best website has been Microsoft's. They must have some serious bandwidth though. Downloading anything from them seems to max my connection (which is a good thing).

Thank God I don't have to suffer the crap that is DSL in Ireland. Overpriced and not available in my home town (Longford). Hopefully, by the time I get back from here that shouldn't be a problem. It'll still probably be expensive and slow (compared to here) though. Although Eircom aren't all that bad. NTT can make them seem like saints!

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Unless you're over there to be cyogenically frozen for a hundred years or so I wouldn't be too optimistic about proper fast broadband being available en masse to the Irish regions for a reasonable price when you get back. Even if it was you's probably still fail the line test!

Was reading an article in Wired about Yahoo! broadband in Japan, the one that's giving out free modems in tube stations. Apparently it's COSTING them $250 for every customer they sign up. They will not even break even until a customer has been with them for 18 months! Now there's faith in the product you are selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by joerules
    Well I got my DSL connection here in Japan. I'm out in the stix here so I could only get their 8mbps connection, and not their 24Mbps. Both give 1Mbps upload. The max download speed I've managed to get was just shy of 700kb/sec. The great thing is that there's no cap. Hehehe
    How come you are only getting 700kb/sec on an 8Mbps connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    How come you are only getting 700kb/sec on an 8Mbps connection?

700k/sec isn't that far off 8mbps. The reason he is not getting the full possible speed may be a limitation of the speed of his computer, router, switch, or the phone line not being quite perfect. Living out in the sticks can affect your speed, even in Japan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Don't forget that it costs in the region of > €500 to install a land line in Japan in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    700k/sec isn't that far off 8mbps. The reason he is not getting the full possible speed may be a limitation of the speed of his computer, router, switch, or the phone line not being quite perfect. Living out in the sticks can affect your speed, even in Japan. :)
    If he means bytes, then it is not too far off, true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Hey,

Yeah I'm only getting 700 kilobytes a sec. That's fine though. I really wanted to get YahooBB!! They are cheaper and at the moment they are giving out free wireless DSL kits for your computer. They are quite an incredible company. In towns and cities every couple of metres you will see a stand for the company with someone trying to sell you it. I really do mean every couple of metres. They are seriously pushing DSL here and I'd say it is costing them a fortune. As far as I know the gamble is paying off and they are signing up a large percentage of people.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Masayoshi Son, CEO of Yahoo!BB in Japan figures in a few short years he will have brought the Jap incumbent, NTT, to it's knees as one of the major selling points of his BB service is VOIP for a small extra charge. 3 cents per minute for a phone call from Tokyo to New York! In the future they will also be offering video on demand, cheap movies streaming over your 12Mbps connection.
    Those crazy Japs apparently need more value added to a service before they'll consider 12Mbps for around US$21 a month a good deal.
    I wonder if Mary Harney has approached him to invest in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Having just returned from Japan it was painful to see hot chicks on every street corner peddling dsl, and I mean every street corner!! God damn...:mad:

Advertisement