Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop stolen, can't use XP CD anymore

Options
  • 15-09-2003 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Had a laptop stolen a few months ago with a brand new version of XP Pro.
    You get a little sticker with XP that you attach to the machine.
    My advice is not to do that, keep it with the CD.

The laptop stolen had the product key attached to it so now my
    XP CD is useless.

Just spoke to Microsoft about getting a replacement and was told that the license 'belongs' to the computer, not the person who bought the software. So whoever stole the laptop has the right to the XP license!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's rediculous. You own the licence. Perhaps she meant that Microsoft don't keep track of OEM licences and that you have to contact the laptop manufacturer to find out your product code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Nope, that's the whole point of OEM licences, they live and die with the machine they are installed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I guess it's so that if you sell your computer with the OS installed on it, you have to give up the license key and CD also.

But surely if it's stolen.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Another point on microsoft licenses if you upgrade your hd you have to buy a new copy of the OS.
    But sure it's still the same machine....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought you just had to re-activate if you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

basically you are stuck with a XP Pro cd minus the product key right?

not that hard to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

aragh I know how to get round it, I just don't think it's fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

omg i bought a new laptop recently (Its not urs that i have) is there any do or donts u can pass onto me like place not to bring it and stuff

Advertisement