Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your help big time...

Options
  • 15-09-2003 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    heres the story and solicitors are getting involved at this stage..

My girlfriend and 3 of her friends got a apartment in Galway for the start of september..

My gf was doing arts in college and the o ther 3 were doing PLC courses,.
    They didnt have there courses b4 they gave 260eur each to the landlord...

Then , they didnt get there courses.. It was 1040eur overall and they were told it was a "damage deposit" when they gave this...

Now the landlord will not give them the deposit back as he says its the first months rent[its not]

The week after they gave the deposit they went up to galway to look at the apartment and the landlord asked my gf [infront of me and her mother] has she got the first months rent... She said shell have it at the end of the week, he said fine...

Also that day he gave them a form to fill out and give to the bank so he can get the money into his bank a/c every month.. The amount came to 281eur which is fine [4week and 3days]

now, he claims that was the 2st months rent the 260eur each they paid..
    I know its not,everybody does knows it isnt.. Why would he let them off 21 eur for the first month?? Also why would he ask my gf in front of me, her mother and the landlords son for the 1st months rent??

Her father tried to come to some arrangement [taking off the 1st weeks rent off the deposit] which is bad enough as they didnt even stay there..

Also now they rang a few days ago saying that "you still ahve the keys to the apartment , so no1 else can use it " ...

They kept the keys because he wouldnt give the deposit back but they gave him the keys this morning to avoid trouble further on...

What can they do?? There entitled to 100% money back.. Its not there fault they didnt get there courses and its not rent its a "damage deposit".. He said that to them when they gave him the money..

They also signed a slip of paper sayin they gave 260eur each as a deposit[ not saying it was rent or damage deposit], now there sayin "you signed a piece of paper sayin your giving this to us" ..

So there all upset over this as there 18 years old and it was there money and they need it like..

What can be done?? Who do you think is right??

thanks for any help,

cartman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by cartman
    What can they do?? There entitled to 100% money back.. Its not there fault they didnt get there courses
    Neither is it the landlord's fault they didn't get the courses (in fact it's the girls "fault" for not qualifying / qualifying elsewhere). They shouldn't have paid over money if they didn't have the courses. I imagine the only way to amicably settle it is for your solicitor to agree to get have the money back (seeing as ye had use of the apartment for half a month).

Advertisement