Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP - Temporary Internet Files

Options
  • 15-09-2003 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been raised here recently, did a search and didn't find anything useful.

There is a folder called 'Temporary Internet Files' in my PC. After I've deleted the History & Temporary Internet Files using the Tools -> Internet Options menu, there still appears to be over 10MB of data stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

I can't seem to delete the folder as it says that it's a system folder and I can't actually see a single file in the folder either. I just right clicked on the folder one day and noticed the amount of data and files.

Is this normal? Is that data legitimate Windows data or could it be spyware of some sort? Anyways, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

Well I'm running XP and it doesn't seem to be the same with mine. When i empty the folder, it's empty.
    Can't say anymore about your problem though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i use a program called total commander for navigating my hard drive.
    i tried going into "c:\documents & settings\username\local settings\temporary internet files" with that & i could see all the temp files (seperated into 4 folders)
    afair you can delete those 4 folders & their contents & they will be recreated next time you open ie.

if you want to try that, you'll have to go into configuration\options in total commander, click on the display tab & check the "show hidden/system files" box.

there is most definitely an easier way, this one definitely works though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

do you have show hidden & system files turned on in windows?
    i just tried going to the above mentioned folder from my computer & i can see all my temp files...
    not seperated into 4 folders for some reason tho...

go to tools/folder options/view in my computer & enable hidden files & folders then apply to all folders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by tman
    do you have show hidden & system files turned on in windows?go to tools/folder options/view in my computer & enable hidden files & folders then apply to all folders
    Yup, I have those options turned on but I'm still unable to see the files.

In the internet options menu, Tools -> Internet Options, there an option in the settings of the Temporary Internet Files which allows you to 'move' the location of the 'temporary internet files' folder. Well, I did that a while back, I re-located it to C:\Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files. That's the folder which contains the 10MB of data. It's telling me that it's a system folder and that I can't delete it. I can't see any files in it but from the properties, there's 544 files comprising 10.4MB of data. Actually, I think the size of the folder is bigger than when I last checked a few weeks.

Hmmm, I'm still at a loss.

Advertisement