Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with TV Aerials (BBC,RTE) Portrush

• 16-09-2003 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I was hoping that someone could help me with some information for recieving TV in Portrush what Aerial Group and Nearest Transmitter for BBC and RTE in Portrush.

Thanks Alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Mick, I was in around there on holiday recently, and did a few observations...

BBC/UTV/CH4 transmissions come from the Limavady transmitter. It may also be possible to pick up Freeview in Portrush as long as you have the correct technology (check the postcode checker at www.dtg.org.uk). Both Analogue and Digital transmissions from Limavady all fall within the UHF Group C/D, ranging from channels 53 to 67. Signals are good, 10-14 element aerial (slightly larger for Freeview) should be OK.

RTÉ can be picked up fairly easily in Portrush from the Moville relay transmitter in Co.Donegal. There is no TV3 however, the nearest source for this is Holywell Hill and this is dificult to pick up in Portrush. RTÉ1 is on channel 40, Network 2 is on 43 and TG4 is on 50, UHF Group B aerial required usually 14 to 18 element - I saw no high gain aerials for RTÉ needed in Portrush.

Both transmitter transmit signals using horizontal polarisation.

The RSL Channel 9 L/Derry can also be received in Portrush from the Coleraine Transmitter on Channel 48, Horizontal Polarisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Well, BBC+UTV+C4 analog from Limavady plus Freeview.
    N.I. channels . Analog also from Sherriff's mtn. in Derry (51,44,41,47 Vertical!!) +5 and Ch9 (local)
    For RTÉ there is Holywell Hill , and there is to my knowledge a 2kW relay over in Moville (Ch 40,43,50)
    All with a group C/D aerial, exept Hollywell which is gr.A
    Have phun.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Oops, too late. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyperry

Thanks for all your help.

For RTE would I need masthead amps and if I go down the route of only BBC is TV9 Strong enough on Group CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Originally posted by mickyperry
    Thanks for all your help.

For RTE would I need masthead amps and if I go down the route of only BBC is TV9 Strong enough on Group CD.

There didn't seem to be any need for masthead amps in Portrush, though of course that can't be ruled out.

The problem with Channel 9 is that it comes from it's own mast in Coleraine and therefore comes from a different direction from all other transmissions. The signal seems strong enough, but getting a good picture may be a challenge.

• Advertisement

I will be tring on Saturday for a friend and will report back.

Thanks alot

I done the Aerial today and BBC,ITV,CH4 was very good. RTE was about half power.

But thanks all for all your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

i can only get irish stations, would this mean i need a different aeriel? i'm in north county dub so there was never a prob getting bbc,utv and ch4 before.

Advertisement