Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle question...

Options
  • 16-09-2003 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently gotten involved in a new project where the backend database is to be based on Oracle 9i.

I know SFA about Oracle configuration, and think its about time I did.

My basic question is this - how would people recommend configuring an Oracle system for development work.

The way I see it is like this :

In an ideal world, one Oracle instance per development would be the way to do it. Keep everything seperate.

However, Oracle is a memory-hungry beast, and that option would quickly become infeasible. Besides, I have the feeling that this is not the best way to go, and that I'm applying design logic from other RDBMS's incorrectly here.

As a result, I'm beginning to think that a better solution would be to implement only one instance on the server, with seperate schemas within that - one for each development. Each schema may, or may not, have unique namespaces etc.

So - any informed opinions would be greatly welcome, as would any suggestions on any good literature/sites to read which discuss the practicalities of Oracle configuration.

Cheers.

jc

Advertisement