Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placebo Cover Album

Options
  • 16-09-2003 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Just read that on their homepage, the album comes out on the 22nd of September:

"It has finally arrived! A Placebo CD containing cover versions they have done over the years including a few never before commercially available tracks like the fantastic 'I Feel You' by Depeche Mode. It has been one of the most popular requests from you over the years and hopefully has been worth the wait!

It is set to be released as part of a special edition, 2 disc, version of their 'Sleeping With Ghosts' album (through Hut Recordings) on September 22nd in the UK. Disc 1 features all the original tracks from the album including triumphant singles 'Bitter End', 'This Picture' and their new single 'Special Needs' (released 15th September). Disc 2 is the 10 track covers album featuring songs as diverse as the as yet unreleased version of Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' and Serge Gainsbourg's 'The Ballad Of Melody Nelson'.

Tracklisting is as follows:

Disc 1: the original tracklisting from 'Sleeping With Ghosts'

Disc 2:

Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush)
    Where Is My Mind (The Pixies)
    Bigmouth Strikes Again (The Smiths)
    Johnny And Mary (Robert Palmer)
    20th Century Boy (T-Rex)
    The Ballad Of Melody Nelson (Serge Gainsbourg)
    Holocaust (Alex Chilton)
    I Feel You (Depeche Mode)
    Daddy Cool (Boney M)
    Jackie (Sinead O' Connor)"

So much looking forward to 'Where is my mind' !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Excellent. I cant wait to hear it. Great selection of covers. Its a pity its not released on its own though. Plenty of people are gonna own 2 copies of sleeping with ghosts now, although I guess that's kinda the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I heard where is my mind already on the radio a few nights ago, its a deally cover cant wait for the release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

Well as I lost my "Sleeping with Ghosts" Im actually glad that I have another reason to buy it again :)
    And do you know why they give concerts EVERYwhere but not in Ireland ??? I mean they are quite big here, arent they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I think it stinks though, because it penalises everyone who went out and bought the album in the first place. Feeder are doing it too, they're re-releasing Comfort In Sound with a DVD... and the record industry have the nerve to try and arrest people who download tunes? Phuck 'em all, I say. Why buy any album when you know, soonoer or later, those greedy bastiges are gonna release a better version of it? Anthrax's new album We've Come For You All has been re-released with an extra cd, but if you already own the album, you can get the bonus cd for €2 from their record label, Nuclear Blast. That's at least a little fair.

The rest is a big rip off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by one-angry-dwarf
    Plenty of people are gonna own 2 copies of sleeping with ghosts now

i was going to buy an original copy this weekend. think i'll wait now :D

i remember the Stereophonics did the same with JEEP. they re released it with some new songs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

good idea the cover album
    i have heard most of the covers before but it'll be nice to have
    them on an official cd.

i don't really mind having two copies of swg, i know a few people who'd be more than happy for me to give 'em my old one :)

where is my mind is great, and coz am a fairly big pixies fan, it's even better :)

the lack of gigs here is terrible!!
    they've always sold plenty when playing here before, and sure they could always go for a smaller venue or summat.
    b@stards!!!!

I ordered the album on Tuesday from Amazon, my gosh I hope they send it soon. Did anyone already buy it by now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

look out for bigmouth strikes again.
    best cover on the album.

"sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'de like to....
    smash every tooth in your head..."

pure class.

Yeah, as above, the Smiths and Pixies covers are the best two...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

that's really annoying, having bought the album when it came out. I'd love those extra tracks, but I'm really not going to buy another copy of the album.

• Advertisement

Don't buy it if you bought it before... I'll copy it for ya.

Say no to record company rip-offs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

its basically a rip off, it stupid, i bought the first one when it came out, whats the point of this now ? i have most of the covers on that album as bsides on singles, il get it anyway , nice to have it all on one officall cd, but i would have prefered this to be released later on in the year.

and regarding gigs in ireland, they were on chat on this french chat room, and i asked them and this is what they said .

ire.jpg

yepeeee

www.bionic.tk

how did you end up on a french chatroom talking to placebo and do they speak french

it was on the offical website, my msgs wouldnt even get through, there were 2 many ppl in it, they were on webcam and the chat, Brian speaks french fluently, thats about it.

The picture wont open, what did they say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Doctor J
    I think it stinks though, because it penalises everyone who went out and bought the album in the first place.
    I hate it when that happens. It's OK if there's a special edition on day one (or a LOTR-style announcement that it'll be there later on) but doing it months later annoys me. I'm not buying it again.

Originally posted by Kambika
    The picture wont open, what did they say ?

question: WHEN will you come to ****ing IRELAND ?!!!!!!!?
    answer: very soon and stop swearing

other stuff in French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

anybody heard any more about placebo playing here soon?
    i check placeboworld website regularly but there's still no sign....
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hi
    I'm just back from spending the last 8 months or so in the US, as a result I missed all the reviews etc. of the new album. My own feeling is that the album is a disappointment - I don;t think they've moved on since Without You.. anyone else agree/disagree? As for the covers album, that was pretty cynical bringing it out six months after the original release. I've heard it and its not great, but they can rest assured I will be acquiring it via Kazaa and not HMV this time.

Neil

• Advertisement

well, they kinda evolved and you gotta learn to respect it, where as most people did and some didnt. Bmm brought them no:1 through out europe and has caused major success, i personally love it, doesnt get any better than 'Taste in men', where as other people expected a follow up of 'Scared of girls' and 'PureMorning'.
    If you didnt like Bmm (the change) then you obviously might not like SWG, as for me iloved BMM and pleased that this album wasnt the same as BMM, they brought out something new,
    its a good album, i mean the 'Bitter end' and 'Special needs' are amazing songs, but despite that, this will be my least fav album.
    I ordered The new double edition, will have it buy monday, i have most of the songs anyway, not a fan of this idea of bringing out cover album though.

P.s: Hope u caught them on the tour in US !!!!!!!
    there in US now.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hi
    I actually did like the 3rd album when it came out - Taste in Men is one of my fav Placebo tracks, but I found parts of the album let the rest down after extended listening. Haemoglobin and Peeping Tom are cool too. I saw them in the Olympia during that tour and they were great.
    I just don't see any progresssion on the new album from the 3rd. When I put it on and the 1st song(the instrumental) started blaring out, I thought "This is exactly what I've been waiting for" but it flattered to deceive in my opinion. I don;t like some of the lyrics either - even the title "Special Needs" grates, its ground that is already well-trampled by Molko at this point and is becoming cliched. Just my opinion tho , not having a go at you -

Cheers
    Neil

Advertisement