Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant send Outgoing mail with Netsource DSL

• 16-09-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Cant send Outgoing mail with Netsource DSL

Anyone have any ideas? Would i be better off with trying to find a public smtp server or is there any workaround with this?

Tks

Dwayne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Are you using their SMTP server?
    What error are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Hi,

Im using my eircom.net account through netsources dsl. Its going out on port 25. Is the port closed off on eircom's side or netsources side?

I can receive but cant send mails

An ISP wouldn't close off port 25. Can you telnet to mail1.eircom.net on port 25?
    You should be able to send mail through mail1.eircom.net once you POP your mail first.
    What error are you getting though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

outgoing mail server = mail.netsource.ie

Originally posted by nellieswellies
    outgoing mail server = mail.netsource.ie
    The Eircom one should work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

That works

Thanks Guys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hey had the same problem and now it's working for me too - cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Quick FYI guys:
    No ISP allows other ISPs customers to relay through their SMTP servers ... it's effectively because there's no real way for the smtp server to authenticate you.
    In contrast, an ISP allows you to send mail as anyone you like - so in this case netsource allows you to send as myusername@eircom.net, but eircom.net won't because you're connected through netsource.

An SMTP conversation would look like :
    telnet mail.eircom.net 25
    Trying 159.134.198.135...
    Connected to mail1.eircom.net (159.134.198.135).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 mail02.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net ESMTP
    mail from: myuserid@eircom.net
    250 ok
    rcpt to: pron@notreally.boards.ie
    553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

See - I don't just appear on Netsource threads (oh ... wait ....:) )

Originally posted by pron
    myusername@eircom.net, but eircom.net won't because you're connected through netsource.
    Eircom use POP authentication on their SMTP servers, so in theory it should work. I connect via IOL and can use my Eircom account no problem, once I pop my mail first.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Eircom use POP authentication on their SMTP servers, so in theory it should work. I connect via IOL and can use my Eircom account no problem, once I pop my mail first.

Ditto for me (on Netsource).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pron
    it's effectively because there's no real way for the smtp server to authenticate you.
    Besides the pop before sending, you could password protect the SMTP servers, like Yahoo do.

Advertisement