Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good news for students in IT's

Options
  • 16-09-2003 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

started back to college today and just heard that the whole getting 55% to go on to diploma/degree is gone as of this year you just have to pass the course [i.e get 40%] this will make my year handier

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Isnt that just for cert into diploma yr.

From diploma into degree u still need 55 dont u?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

thats the way i heard it too, it be brillant if it was pass the whole way right up until the end, but i really only think its cert to dip, i really hope i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think its the whole way up thats what one lecture said they were bring it into line with the 4 year degree programs. then i over heard that it was 50% to go from dip to degree.but i am nearly sure that its 40% the whole way up like in the uni's.just ask in college

heh heh i will if i'm back lol, didn't get an avg of 55% so had to do some qualifiers, no results till next week *sigh* so this kinda close to home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

That happened me too. I didnt get the 55% avg so was forced to take yr out. I was working at tech support for nearly 9 months.

Just returned for 3rd yr this week, and i find it so depressing to be bk. So depressing, that im actually thinking of leaving computers behind me, and do something else. Im on software development btw..

• Advertisement

was just thinking about this.

If i don't get the 55% I could repeat the year.

Now what is weird about this is, I'd only have to pass to go through, but I have already passed, infact I am just short of the 2.75 gpa. Weird.

Probally will be taken a year out if I don't get in, don't fancy repeating just to pass and having to pay for it, even tho i have passed lol. Rather make some money if i gotta take the year out. We get granded on that too so gives ya extra towards your gpa. Ahwell, lets see how it goes next week.

Sucks waiting this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by irishguy
    started back to college today and just heard that the whole getting 55% to go on to diploma/degree is gone as of this year you just have to pass the course [i.e get 40%] this will make my year handier

Its actually 50%, only dropped by 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

i got my results today, 52.8%, says im not qualfied on the result sheet fkin marvellous. Im gonna go into college to make sure cos if mark is dropping down to 50% maybe they can give me some leeway. Isnt gpa system in colleges based on how many spaces availiable? or is that aload of bull. If it isnt judging by the amount of people sittin repeats i dunno how the course was filled up with people only over 2.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Its actually 50%, only dropped by 5%.

no its 40% to go from a cert to a diploma. both my year heads said this and a few lectures.

Originally posted by irishguy
    no its 40% to go from a cert to a diploma. both my year heads said this and a few lectures.

No its not...

A best mates of mine finished 3rd year with a 54% average in 2002.. He failed to get into his degree as he needed 55%.

So he repeated third year and come may just gone, he was advised he did not have to sit his exams as the average was being dropped to 50%, thus he was already qualified.. That was from the colleger registrar and head of department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Deargiest

Seems there's 2 different views on this.... Either the lecturer's or the administration seems to be confused cause I've heard both 40% and 50% to move into diploma.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Wasn`t all this settled 4-5 months ago

Cert(2nd year) to Diploma(3rd year) = 40%
    Diploma(3rd year) to Degree(4th year) = 50%

I can`t make it much easier than that

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe Some colleges are doing it differently.

I had a look at the HETAC website and cant find anything!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All IT's have to do it the same and yes its is pretty old news at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭FoXXy

so if its 40 and 50% wot is it if u want to go from a cert to a degree? i'm in second yr now of my cert but we havent had one thing mentioned about transferring so lil help here wud b great :D
    no-ones mentioned that one so far (unless i've missed it or u just cant do that!)

Yes you can transfer from a cert to a degree, it depends though sometimes you transfer from cert to diploma and then dimploma to degree.

I'm not being smart but this info should generally be given by the careers service in your college so drop into your careers officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its 50% to go from Diplome to Degree and 40% to go from cert to Diploma.. Simple really :o)

Yes but what if you want to go from cert to degree!

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

as in after finishing ur cery u go into second year of a degree?
    As far as I know its jsut a pass mark that you need

Advertisement