Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBB contention

• 16-09-2003 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting IBB at my home. I haven't had them out for a test yet, but I am wonding about contention issues on their network. Are they generally highly contended? ( this would be the RTE or Guinness transmitter ) I ask because I want to know if it is worth getting the more expensive home packages. The extra upload speed doesn't do anything for me.

Thanks,
    Zab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

In general the home ADSL products from Eircom, ESAT et al are contended at about 48:1. IBB contends at 8:1 for the €48.40 product and I think 24:1 for the €30 product. So in a nutshell, IBB does not contend at a higher rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hi Serbian,

Thanks for the reply. However, I understood this already. What I want to know is if I, say, get the 20:1 package, should I expect the service to be contended during, say, 6PM to midnight.

Zab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i have a los test tomorrow. if i pass i will get the 20:1 package. i will post results. btw i am in clondalkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i'm on the 8-1 contention, and i rarely notice a drop in performance, and when i do, its generally horribly bad. For instance, 2 days ago for about an hour i couldn;t get faster than 1kb's down... literally!! Then it fixed again. Generally i wouldn;t go below 400kbps though, but i don;t test it on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

vishal

how long are you waiting for the los
    and what part of clondalkin are you in?

• Advertisement

i rang up originally 2 1/2 weeks ago. They didn't seem to respond very well to phone calls saying they would ring me back to organise the los test. i emailed them i think last thusday night and got a phone call back from them the next day. i suggest you do the same if you are having problems organising a los test.

I live at Knockmeenagh Rd., approx 3/4km from Siac near Newlands Cross

Well unfortunetly i failed the los test. i am actually 1/2km away but there are too many trees in the way. Also the fact that i live in a dormal bungolo means that the chimney is really low instead of being taller than the house didn't help. Hopefully Ripwave will arive within 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Hopefully Ripwave will arive within 3 months.

They they say that to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

vishal

sorry for your troubles-live in palmerstown woods-can't see the mast but i think the chimmney can-
    hope springs eternal

no they didn't say that it would be available in 2-3 months time but in that time they should roll it out commercially at 3Rock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement