Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 2 years behind the UK

Options
  • 16-09-2003 5:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I just came across this article on TheReg from almost exactly 2 years ago (03/09/2001):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/21424.html

It seems that almost exactly two years ago BT Wholesale also cut the installation cost in half, from £150 to £75 for 3 months between October and December. Now we have Eircom cutting the install cost from Euro150 to Euro20 also for the same period between October and December.

Coincidence?

While yes, Eircoms reduction in installation costs is greater, it is worth pointing out that you could get ADSL for about e35 - e40 per month retail (inc. VAT) in the UK back then.

BT halves cost of broadband installation
    By Tim Richardson
    Posted: 03/09/2001 at 11:28 GMT
    ISPs have responded swiftly to news that BT Wholesale is to halve the
    cost of installing its single user ADSL service for three months from
    October.

The reduction from £150 to £75 for BT's IPStream 500 service is designed
    to boost demand for BT's wholesale broadband service.

Said Bruce Stanford, director Broadband in BT Wholesale: "We can see
    real increases in broadband demand coming through. This special offer
    pricing is designed to ensure demand continues to rise.

Nildram, PlusNet and Zen have all said they will pass on the savings to
    consumers from the beginning of October.

However, Eclipse Internet has gone one step further and cut the cost of
    installation to just £25.

Eclipse - the ISP behind Pig Brother, which is raising money for farmers
    hit by the foot and mouth crisis -
    said it will donate the £25 to a charity fund.

Recently, BT wholesale cut the cost of its wholesale broadband by £5 a
    month. ®

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's been like this since the very start, the UK is like a roadmap for everyone involved over here. The incumbent does the same things, the OLO's do the same things, the regulator does the same things. I imagine if you plotted key points on a graph, the plotlines would be almost identical; the only difference being the timescale. I'm often surprised that we don't fall behind more. (And a little embarassed since I've been saying for ages that we have. That's no excuse though, we should be accelerating to overtake other European countries.)

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.aol.co.uk/broadband/cost.html

AOL Broadband - just £27.99 a month

Everything is included in the monthly fee - even the free helpline. There are no additional costs and your broadband modem is completely FREE.

Most importantly - I can't see any caps mentioned..

Oh well another two years to go before we get consumer broad band here..

(Oh yeah you get A Friends Series 9 (vol 6) DVD and Scooby Doo The Movie DVD)

Advertisement